www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 21st, 2006, 12:53   #1
ltz

TDI(s): Passat 01
Default turn indicator, brake system and failing seat

Looking to get myself a 2001 stationwagon Passat Variant. Found one that had an attractive price.

Its a TDI with 310 000 km's and rather well used (former taxi), automatic gearbox (if that matters). It have some failures that I think you guys might be able to give some hints about. I do manage to fix the most parts on a car myself. But since I have never owned a VW before I figured I might aswell ask you guys for how much trouble i'm getting myself into here..

1) The brake pad-indicator is on all the time and the traction-control + abs indicators are sometimes on sometimes off. I noticed that the brake discs and pads weren't that good around the vehicle. Can all those errors be related to worn pads? Or are the abs + esp (think its esp in english, traction control) error something else? Any ideas regarding what those could be? I've read about the ABS Module and soldering this seems easy. But is this problem on a 2001 year model aswell? Does the problem seem to fit in this problem-description?

2) The turn indicator. The actual handle. Its not completely working when turning left. I have to jiggle the handle a bit in order to get it to start blinking properly. It seems like a glitch under the panel, is it common, anyone else had this on a passat here? I do hope I can solder it and not have to buy a new "handle" (the cruise control is on it aswell.. seems expensive.).

3) The drivers seat isn't moveable in front-back angle. The current owner said that the wire that goes from the seat handle to the release mechanism is busted. Is this common on this model? Easy to fix?

Thanks!
ltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 14:15   #2
leobg
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/27/23 U.S. mpg 6/8.7/10 L/100km

About 1) I can tell you that's a failed brake light switch - cheap to repair - ABS and ESP lights will go off once you fix the brake light switch.

edit: under "repair" I mean replace - $2-3 small plastic thingie located in the cabin at the brake pedal.

Last edited by leobg; June 21st, 2006 at 14:18.
leobg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 14:43   #3
ltz

I can't really figure out how that will explain why the orange brake-pads-indicator in the intrument panel shows constantly? Sometimes three error-indicators shows in the instrumental panel, brake-pads (orange circular symbol with boxes on the sides, to the left of the ABS+ESP indicators)...

Perhaps i explained wrong in the first post.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 14:30   #4
ltz

Allright, I bypassed the brake-pad-indicator cable at the brake caliper. This turned the indicator off. But unfortunatly the ABS + ESP still goes on sometimes. Will check the tip above.
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:43   #5
ltz

I removed the Brake-light-switch down by the brake pedal and renovated the parts in it. Simply rugged ut the contact parts within it. Still got a abs light on sporadicly. Perhaps I forgot to do something about the springs inside the switch.
The brake light worked before and after.. however i have one broken buld n the back. Cpould this affect the ABS system in some way?.. seems unlikely, but so did the brake-light-switch.. ?

Ordered a vag com now.. ill guess I will find out in a week or so what the error is..
Old June 29th, 2006, 14:49   #6
ltz

The turn indicator was fixed the other day. Figured i might post the solution here.

After removing the plastic covers, airbag, wheel and disconecting the cables to the turn-indicator handle. You can open it up. Looking inside it there are small metal parts.. These was worn out in certain cirkular places.. Simple fix for this was to swap the left metal-part with the right.. since they don't have the same cirkular patterns within the handle..

Perhaps this explanation sounds strange... but if you open the handle up, you'll understand what I'm talking about.. Oh and don't try filling the handle with electronic contact spray.. That will only dry the handle out.. making the operation of the handle very stiff.. Not sure what grease to use in order to get the handle greased up again.. Not a fun operation, wouldnt want to do it againg only because you used some grease that made the contacts fail..

Last edited by ltz; June 29th, 2006 at 22:15.
Old June 29th, 2006, 17:04   #7
daedalus
Veteran Member

very good work, Itz!
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote