Economical exhaust for golf

export!

TDI
'02 Golf
Tackled suspension and conquered overboost. Looks like the exhaust is next to go.

I haven't fully inspected it but I can see some rot between the downpipe and cat. Most of the threads here deal with chasing performance gains but I just want something that doesn't leak and won't fall off.

I figure I want a turbo back solution. I won't be subjected to emission tests. What is the cheapest, decent option. Searches turn up lots of 1.8T stuff but not many ALH systems.

Thanks yet again tdiclub!

Edit - I can do half-ass welding of stainless with mig if there's any chance of saving what I have ??

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cheapest is a pipe straight out the side.

There are some aftermarket downpipe/catalyst assemblies that are not super expensive, but they do not fit quite as well.

The turbo chops up most of the noise, so running it "straight piped" is not as loud as you think, depending on where the tail pipe exits.

I had one of mine dumped right under the middle of the car, and it was a bit TOO droning loud after a while, so I fit a cheap universal tractor muffler on it then dumped it. It was about as quiet as stock, although that cheap muffler has already started to rot out. It has lasted a few years, though, and for $22 I can hardly complain.

I would try and keep a catalyst on it, though. It does make them less smelly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If you can weld, sounds like you can, practice a lot and build your own for $85 bucks in pipe and bend from mandrel bending solutions.

Updatelee

TDI
2003 Golf
My Golf came straight piped from the previous owner, the problem with straight pipe solutions is the drone at highway speeds. I welded on a small TOTALFLOW muffler from amazon on and its much nicer now. Only cost me $40cdn delivered, its well made imo and fit like a glove. I still hear it at near WOT but at cruise its much nicer. There is a stretch of the coquihalla that is 40km long and averages a 6.5% grade, speed limit it 120kmh, its long, very long, and the drone even with the TOTALFLOW is very noticable. Without it its down right brain rattling.

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I ordered my down pipe/ flex with catalytic converter and about 16" of pipe past that for $140 (approx) from EBay and paid a shop $20 to weld it together.

Runs quiet again!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Watch out. There is a rabbit hole to dive into on catalytic converters. Cheep ones are garbage, but I guess it will pass inspection soo.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
Honestly with the straight pipe on my sedan, you hardly notice it when driving including on the freeway.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Honestly with the straight pipe on my sedan, you hardly notice it when driving including on the freeway.
You'll notice it if you have some power mods and your exhaust tip is a whole foot before the bumper ;)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Mine is straight piped with no muffler. I cut a hole in the black plastic part of the rear bumper cover to extend the pipe. No more drone.