EGT Faults

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well. Was dropping the little lady off at the train station for a weekend trip, decided to take her car for the trip. On my way home the CEL came on.

8198 - EGT Sensor 3 Bank 1 P247A 00 [174] - Exhaust Gas Temperature Out of Tolerance

So I checked the temp sensors, all seemed to be reading OK at that time. So I cleared the codes, then ran a parked regen while watching all four temp sensors. Everything looked OK, got up to 600C across the DPF and SCR inlet was around 500C.

Has anyone else had a random exhaust temp sensor fault log? Just a bug? So far it's the first issue we've had with this car since getting it. 2014 TDI SEL with 76k on the clock.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
haven't noted any errors, were you driving steady state on the highway or were you merging on the highway when it popped up?

I'd say key and eye on it see if it pops up again.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I drove to the train station, parked, but left the car running for maybe 5 minutes as I unloaded the luggage, then hopped back in. Light came on as I was backing out of the spot. Guess I'll keep an eye on it to see if it comes back.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just take it to the dealership and let them fix it under warranty...
So far it hasn't come back, and I don't know how the warranty works. I bought it from a private dealer, not a VW dealer.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So far it hasn't come back, and I don't know how the warranty works. I bought it from a private dealer, not a VW dealer.
It doesnt matter where you bought it from.

If it is a TDI that was affected by the Dieselgate scandal, it has the warranty.

Depending on how complete the emissions modification is and how many miles were on the vehicle when completed determines how long the warranty is.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess I'll have to call vw and get more details about it. Thanks for the heads up.