Dealership replacing my ea288 engine under powertrain warranty

Gerald9R

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Dealership replacing my ea288 engine under powertrain warranty (Update) Turbo Failure

2015 VW Passat SE (American model)
I started off by buying this car 3rd week in may or so and having it less than 2 weeks and still a quarter tank left of fuel that the dealership supplied when driving it off the lot, one morning on my way to work 2 miles from home the glow plug light came on and started flashing. It immediately went into limp mode and after shutting off and restarting it was normal for a min and kept happening so I limped it home. I saw nothing on the display as any faults.
Later that morning I limped it over to the dealership 5 miles away and said they were booked solid for 2 weeks so they would see what they could do and no loaner. 2 days later they called and said come get a loaner they finally had and that the car had oil pressure faults so they narrowed it down to an oil pressure switch. 3 days later after that part was replaced they said they test drove it and was still going into limp mode. So now they tell me that they need to order and replace an oil pressure regulator valve and that should fix it. I expressed concern if they actually tested manually for oil pressure and they said they did and it tested fine.
A week went by and they claim that they replaced that regulator and are still trying to jump through hoops trying to figure this out as it still keeps faulting. So after they talkied with VW, they recommended the dealer drop in a new reman engine to get me taken care of under the powertrain warranty. I only put 600 miles on the car and had 1,400 miles left of the warranty till it hit 60k miles. So now I've been without my car for going on 5 weeks or so and its a 3 day time period to swap engines.
I don't have the best feeling about disrupting a 2015 engine bay being that new but also pry can't complain about getting a new motor. I just hope everything is good after this as I'm wondering what caused this to happen and the reliability down the rd. The dealer did state that the new reman motor is now considered a "part" that was changed and it now will fall under the lengthy emissions warranty which is definitely a good thing.
Has anyone else had this happen to them with these new ea288 motors. What should be my concerns for maintenance now and break-in. Did sitting during the dieselgate thing cause this, maybe wrong oil? Just seems odd less than 60k miles and they wanted to swap engines per VW.

Last edited:

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
I will follow this closely. 2015 SEL with 45k on it and 1 year of drive train warranty left. Mine did not sit at all.

No problems except for driver seat heater that I have yet to investigate.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I wouldn’t worry about any engine bay disruption, I had a supercharged Pontiac motor replaced and it came back like nothing changed

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Ahh the beauty of guided fault finding, toss more and more parts at it until the problem goes away.

Big down side is the dealer will probably never tell you what really happened to the car.

Did you notice any high temps on the gauge at any time during you're short time driving it?

I wonder if this is another spun water pump, that some how came up as an oil pressure fault.

Gerald9R

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I never noticed any high temps or any problems for that matter. Took her for a 2hr interstate drive day before this all happened and ran fine. Was averaging 44mpg. The service writer said his head mechanic thought there was internal damage and rather than spend 30hrs diagnosing and tearing down the motor, they decided it was best for a new reman.

Also question if anybody knows......will this reman motor come with all the "updated" parts like water pump and such to help improve the reliability that they have found issues with?

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Strange they’d be putting a remanufactured engine in, I didn’t think they used any remanufactured parts on warranty claims or any dealer repair for that matter

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually, a remanufactured part from Volkswagen takes priority over a brand new part. But there is a limited selection of parts that are remanufactured.

If reman parts are available, Vw says the dealer must use that part or the claim will not be paid.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Reman engine.s from vw are really new ones with only a x in serial number difference. Its cheaper by far over overhauling one back to new standards

Gerald9R

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I just can't get a break with this dealership. After they got the new motor shipped in, they claim they broke some valve installing it in my car and it's another 3 week wait. 1.5 weeks to get a replacement part and another 1 to 2 weeks to get this all finished since they claim they're booked solid. This is really getting irritating as I'm making payments and insurance and they will have this close to 2 months now. I feel like I should be compensated for their mistakes and it should not be taking this long. Have to make another call on Monday to see what part they actually broke.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
This is really getting irritating as I'm making payments and insurance and they will have this close to 2 months now. I feel like I should be compensated for their mistakes and it should not be taking this long.
You're getting a brand new genuine VW engine for free. Relax. You're winning in this situation no matter what. The glass is half full.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I just can't get a break with this dealership. After they got the new motor shipped in, they claim they broke some valve installing it in my car and it's another 3 week wait. 1.5 weeks to get a replacement part and another 1 to 2 weeks to get this all finished since they claim they're booked solid. This is really getting irritating as I'm making payments and insurance and they will have this close to 2 months now. I feel like I should be compensated for their mistakes and it should not be taking this long. Have to make another call on Monday to see what part they actually broke.
I've heard of Vw making the car payment if the car is in the dealership for too long.

Try contacting Vw Customer Care

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is it financed through VW credit or another bank?

What loaner did they put you in?

Gerald9R

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Well I finally got my car back last week so figured I'd update the thread.
They had to put in a new long block and turbo. They claimed there was a turbo failure and metal in the oil and the oil pressure was only around 30psi at 2k Rpm. Everything seems to be in good working order now. I thought I was getting a complete engine with accessories, but that doesn't seem to be how they go about claims.
My question is what is all included with the long block? Would it come with a new water pump and tb? New dpf? I have photos of the paperwork I'd like to share with a parts rundown but still figuring out how to do that. All it says on paperwork for one part is "long block" but just not sure what that all includes. Anyone have insight on this as I'd like to know for maintenance purposes, otherwise I'll have to go back to the dealership to find out.

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=131967&title=20190715-131909&cat=500][/URL]

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=131966&title=20190715-131837&cat=500][/URL]

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=131965&title=20190715-131802&cat=500][/URL]

[url=http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=131964&title=20190715-131654&cat=500][/URL]

Last edited:

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
A long block is for the most part a complete engine (ie. pistons, crank, head w/new valves and cam). You already know you're getting a new turbo. I would expect timing belt, tensioner and rollers to be new.

They would reuse intake and exhaust manifolds. Everything else are accessories driven of the engine and can/should be reused if in good operating condition.

I'd be surprised if they reuse your old water pump. You should get it clarified.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A new long block will definitely come with new water pump, timing belt, and all new timing parts. Accessories aren't included. They probably reused the dpf if it checked out ok.

Gerald9R

TDI
2015 Passat SE
Makes me feel a lot better knowing it has new timing parts and water pump. Since its a reman, I wonder if it would have updated parts like the water pump since there have been changes after finding problems over time since new. I also didn't realize the turbo is built into the exhaust manifold as one piece. I've consistently been monitoring everything now with the torque app and damn these little engines run some high egt's. It's nothing for pre turbo temp to hit 1300 degrees F under a moderate load.