Scary incident after post fix, 3.0 tdi

roarengine

TDI
audi q5(2015)
I just completed my TDI emissions fix. Besides the car behaving horribly after the repair, this recent incident really made me think the car is flat out dangerous.

This incident happened on the highway, I had to accelerate and merge at a higher than normal rate of speed to change lanes. What i found after changing lanes and then subsequently taking my foot off the gas pedal was that the car continued to accelerate! I had to apply the brakes quite heavily to offset the increasing speed of the car(without my foot on the gas pedal the entire time) however the car was fighting the braking and was still trying to accelerate. The braking did offset the acceleration and maintained a level speed but didn't slow down. After awhile the car finally began to slow just the through sheer heavy breaking. After that I continued to drive slowly on the highway without applying hardly any acceleration.

On my return trip, on an empty stretch of highway, I did try heavy acceleration again. The gas pedal did stick again and didn't immediately release back up. This never happened previously pre-fix, where the acceleration was smooth and responsive. Completely un-satisfied.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Both these first two comments are irresponsible, the first post, in stating that the fix caused the stuck gas pedal, as opposed to chance, a service error, or another cause, and the second post, in making a broad unsubstantiated allegation based on no numbers.

OP: I’d take the vehicle directly to your dealer. Do not pass go.

Kevin: we have a longstanding disagreement on this particular subject. I respect many of your opinions and posts in other contexts. What you do with your vehicle is your own business. On the issue of the fix, I wish you didn’t feel the need to stoke paranoia or encourage jumping to conclusions.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If the pedal is physically sticking, that is unrelated to the fix and needs to be dealt with. Do not drive the car until the cause is found. The most common causes are a bad pedal assembly or floor mat interference.

If the pedal is not sticking but you can reproduce the issue, same path. Do not drive the car until a fix is doing.

roarengine

TDI
audi q5(2015)
Both these first two comments are irresponsible, the first post, in stating that the fix caused the stuck gas pedal, as opposed to chance, a service error, or another cause, and the second post, in making a broad unsubstantiated allegation based on no numbers.

Irresponsible how? This is a forum where we can discuss issues affecting our vehicles. If this is just place to state positive glowing reviews of our cars, then it boils down to being a fan boy site. To state that the vehicle is performing exactly the same as it did before pre-fix is not accurate at all. Even VW stated that there will be changes to vehicle after the fix. I think it is appropriate to discuss any issues affecting the vehicle that were not encountered before the fix, whether they are positive or not.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Irresponsible how? This is a forum where we can discuss issues affecting our vehicles. If this is just place to state positive glowing reviews of our cars, then it boils down to being a fan boy site. To state that the vehicle is performing exactly the same as it did before pre-fix is not accurate at all. Even VW stated that there will be changes to vehicle after the fix. I think it is appropriate to discuss any issues affecting the vehicle that were not encountered before the fix, whether they are positive or not.

I explained how. You concluded the fix caused the dangerous incidents. And you are doubling down on that conclusion now. Don’t. Use some logic. It gets easier after you’ve struggled and persevered the first few times, kind of like chin-ups, only for your brain.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I explained how. You concluded the fix caused the dangerous incidents. And you are doubling down on that conclusion now. Don’t. Use some logic. It gets easier after you’ve struggled and persevered the first few times, kind of like chin-ups, only for your brain.
He actually simply wrote his observation that "AFTER THE REPAIR" the car is behaving horrible...He didn't say "BECAUSE OF THE REPAIR".

Nothing wrong with reporting that here.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
He actually simply wrote his observation that "AFTER THE REPAIR" the car is behaving horrible...He didn't say "BECAUSE OF THE REPAIR".

Nothing wrong with reporting that here.

Um...no. Look at the first two sentences and the last two sentences of the original post for clues that indicate the opposite of what you are contending. Just because the words you put in false quotes above are not there doesn’t mean you are right. “Completely unsatisfied” with what...? In plain English OP means the fix.

I have a forum rule that I never explain myself more than once, otherwise the threads get hijacked. So go ahead and repost. I won’t reply again.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Um...no. Look at the first two sentences and the last two sentences of the original post for clues that indicate the opposite of what you are contending. Just because the words you put in false quotes above are not there doesn’t mean you are right. “Completely unsatisfied” with what...? In plain English OP means the fix.

I have a forum rule that I never explain myself more than once, otherwise the threads get hijacked. So go ahead and repost. I won’t reply again.

Got Smug?

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Just to share some good news....my 2014 underwent the "fix", and it runs fine. I hope others who opted to keep their cars got good results too.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Only when it comes to the fix. On other topics a good contributor. We are all entitled to our opinions. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you, Kevin. I’ll try to tone it down on that issue. Or wait for the coffee to kick in and the grouchiness to subside, lol. [emoji106]

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Only when it comes to the fix. On other topics a good contributor. We are all entitled to our opinions. Just my 2 cents.

Sure, entitled to an opinion, true enough. However, no one's entitled to manufacture his own reality and jam it down other folks throats.

Just a general commentary...not to KevinGary in particular: The OP's observations are very welcome. Could the phenomenon he experienced be caused by something not to do with the recall work per se? Yes, of course! However, the phenomenon is logically correlated to the recall work, since it was only observed to happen "after the repair" as the OP stated. To be clear, that's not an attribution of cause, it's a logical correlation. Can he rightly be unsatisfied with the performance of the car? Absolutely...right on...he sure can!

To express the position that such a report is irresponsible is a manipulative technique of shutting down free discussion on a topic.

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I would assume the servicing dealer was notified and would like to know what their response was. What are the other "car behaving horribly after the repair" conditions? Maybe they are related.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Thank you, Kevin. I’ll try to tone it down on that issue. Or wait for the coffee to kick in and the grouchiness to subside, lol. [emoji106]

;) All good here as well! OP is welcome to post his feedback, but I do agree that the described encounter sounds exaggerated.

As I understand it, VW/Audi implemented smart-throttle technology several years ago on all vehicle models.

Perhaps the emissions software update broke this system?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure, entitled to an opinion, true enough. However, no one's entitled to manufacture his own reality and jam it down other folks throats.

Just a general commentary...not to KevinGary in particular: The OP's observations are very welcome. Could the phenomenon he experienced be caused by something not to do with the recall work per se? Yes, of course! However, the phenomenon is logically correlated to the recall work, since it was only observed to happen "after the repair" as the OP stated. To be clear, that's not an attribution of cause, it's a logical correlation. Can he rightly be unsatisfied with the performance of the car? Absolutely...right on...he sure can!

To express the position that such a report is irresponsible is a manipulative technique of shutting down free discussion on a topic.

Thanks for the two additional barbs. [emoji106] My point in pushing back against these horror stories is, this case is not happening in a vacuum, there are close to 60,000 3.0 liter cars that have undergone the procedure by now. Where you may be more disciplined than OP in disentangling correlation from causation, OP did not do that. I will happily retract the term “irresponsible,” since it is a point of contention that now detracts from the discussion, but I think that my argument remains essentially the same. Since the overwhelming majority of fixed cars are not speeding out of control down the highway (or we would have heard holy hell about it by now, a year into implementation), reason dictates that the scary incident is related to a service error or some other cause, both of which I offered, and not to the fix properly installed.

By way of further explanation, I do not insist that the 3.0 fix has had no observable adverse effects on vehicles. The transmission shift map is different, especially when cold. The vehicles are now much worse for short trip city driving (which they were never ideal for in the first place). The fuel economy took a hit. These are all well documented by many reliable posters here and on other forums. Some other posters whom I find reliable in other contexts, like Kevin, have chosen not to have the fix done. I believe I am correct in asserting that they are a very small but vocal minority. I’m happy he’s happy with his path, but I still do resist it when he makes a blanket statement like “the fix is problematic.” Lol, oh well.

To try to move the conversation along, it still remains to be seen whether, long term, the fixed vehicles will become a royal pain to own because of frequent emissions or engine problems.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Mine picked up a nail in the tire less than two days after I got the fix and caused me to get a flat! I'm so upset at the fix! I never got a flat tire before I got the fix! The horrible dealer refused to fix my tire for free!

These post fix issue threads drive me insane...

ivoking

TDI
2015 Audi A6
I do not insist that the 3.0 fix has had no observable adverse effects on vehicles. The transmission shift map is different, especially when cold. The vehicles are now much worse for short trip city driving (which they were never ideal for in the first place). The fuel economy took a hit. These are all well documented by many reliable posters here and on other forums
I came to these forums originally looking for advice and at least a hint toward a solution to my ailments with the "fix". Jerkiness and stuttering at low RPMs of engine surging, no power when you need it, uncontrollable power when too late already, etc. My car drives like a completely different car from before the fix. My wife won't even drive it, due to its unpredictability. I am not imagining this, I can assure you. So I don't know if I am relieved to hear that there are others with my problems, or annoyed at the fact that the options toward a potential solution are so limited.

I feel cheated because they said in the booklet: Engine Noise, Transmission Pattern, Decreased Fuel Economy and Higher DEF Consumption. Those were to be after-effects. Nowhere did it say that throttle may experience a 2-3 second delay coming out of a turn where you had to slow down. Every time now I pull in front of another vehicle, I feel like it is a gamble. I know I should adjust my driving style to the new reality but this is how I've driven my whole life and never had a vehicle been so unresponsive and unpredictable as this one. /rant

Edit - booklet is here what to expect after the fix: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w.../AUDI_BOOKLET_3L_Gen_2-PC_FINALWEBVERSION.pdf

On the section about engine noise, it specifically states: "The potential change in (engine) sound willnot result in any noticeable changes to the driving characteristics of your vehicle." For me and my experience, this is an outright lie.

Last edited: