Cptcrnchmobile 2.0 - 2004 Jetta wagon

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
What did you use for you suspension set up?
Since the car is my daily driver and commuter to work (70mi each way)an OEM-like ride feel was important to me. I also didn't need adjustable coilovers and I was looking to keep cost reasonable. I talked extensively with Mike from NGP about it and he recommended Vogtland Junior Cup kit. The ride feel over small and medium bumps feels OEM but it's definitely stiffer then stock and the body roll has been reduced significantly. So far I've been very happy with it and Mike was spot on with his recommendation.

Last edited:

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Since the car is my daily driver and commuter to work (70mi each way)an OEM-like ride feel was important to me. I also didn't need adjustable coilovers and I was looking to keep cost reasonable. I talked extensively with Mike from NGP about it and he recommended Vogtland Junior Cup kit. The ride feel over small and medium bumps feels OEM but it's definitely stiffer then stock and the body roll has been reduced significantly. So far I've been very happy with it and Mike was spot on with his recommendation.
Thnx for the info. I will put the Vogtland Junior Cup kit on my list (still driving on stock shocks and springs).

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
My new keys arrived from Fixmyvw.com today. Ordering was super easy (you need to include your DL and registration for proof of ownership) and I had them less then 1 week later. I rented Vagtacho to get my key code/program the immobilizer and they include a USB drive with tons of helpful documents and videos on programming both with vagtacho and VCDS. Programming the keys in vagtacho took not even five minutes with the excellent how-to's on fixmyvw.com. If you need new keys this definitely the way to go to avoid the stealership.

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a ton of work over the last 2 days (pics forthcoming) and I'm probably even forgetting some of what I did.

I did a bunch of PM fluid flushes. I bought a Motive Power Bleeder which was a great investment. The only fluids not changed where the coolant (will be when the system is replaced next spring) and transmission (new when the swap was done)

New Bosch MAF sensor

Liquimoly 5w-40 and new oil filter

Changed the fuel filter and filled the new one with Diesel Purge

cleaned out the junk behind the front fender liners and put some POR15 in there as well as replace one the liners which was blown out

Replaced the windshield cowl since the old one was warped and let water get into the ECU are and cause a long crank/hard start issue.

Installed DieselGeek Sigma5 short shifter, Full Metal Jacket, and Panzer plate - The car must have had a skid plate in the past at some point some the rivnuts were already in place which made the install much faster. The short shifter is amazing - gear changes take very little movement now and the tactile feedback is excellent. Install was super easy with the directions and I had it installed and adjusted in about 45 mins.

Last remaining projects before the winter hits is installing the 2.5" stainless steel exhaust from Kerma (was hoping it would here so I could install it before the panzer plate went on) and a machine polishing and sealing of the paint to protect it from the salt and grime of the winter.

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI

Lots of fluids to be replaced

Lots of parts from Kerma, Borg Warner, IDParts, and DieselGeek. I also purchased a Motive Power Bleeder which made bleeding the brakes an easy task. However the left rear caliper has a frozen bleed screw that someone in the past round off. I didn't have the time to mess with it so I bled the other calipers and will probably take a further look at it in the spring. Just flushing the other 3 corners has greatly improved brake pedal feel.

I was super happy with this box from Sonic Tools. It's actually meant for MX racers but looking at the spec it contained almost everything the shade tree VW DIYer would need and it was $1,300 less then a S8 box. It proved to be a great investment and will serve me well during future projects and maintenance.

Car up on stands and ready to go.

What came out of the front right fender liner - left side was just as bad. POR15 was painted onto the area as a preventative measure. There was very little rust.

Left side fender liner was blown out pretty good so it was replaced all together - right side will be replaced in the spring with the vented version when I replace the intake system

Windshield cowl was warped just enough to let water get down near the ECU and cause a no start/hard start after a heavy rain. New cowl seals the gap by the windshield much better. However, while trying to get the right wiper arm off I broke the arm - DOH! $45 mistake. While the cowl was off I cleaned the connections at the ECU with contact cleaner and put a small amount of dielectric grease on them as well.

Dieselgeek Sigma 5 shifter - super easy install following the directions and I love how shifts now

Since I had the car lowered slightly and it was missing the belly pan and engine bay side skirts it got the Full Metal Jacket and Panzer Plate treatment from DG as well. It must have had a plate on it in the past as the Rivnuts were already installed.

All put back together and looking good.

It's come a long way since I first got it two months ago. It was already in good shape so a little elbow grease was all it took to make it a great daily driver. My Kerma Stainless Steel 2.5" exhaust should be arriving any day and will be installed later this month along with the lower EGR pipe (replacing it will be much easier when the downpipe isn't in the way). I thought ahead and while I was under the car sprayed PB Blaster on all the exhaust bolts and broke them free (and obviously re-tightened them lol). Hopefully that will speed the removal process of the old exhaust. The paint is also getting a good polish and sealing before the winter hits. Then that's it until the spring when I plan to replace intake hoses, tubing, intercooler, and rehab the cooling system. When I switch over to my winter tires and steel wheels I'm taking the factory 15" rims to be refinished and brought back to factory condition (and getting rid of the stupid keyed lug bolt on them too).

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Sitting in traffic today the brake pedal slowly fell to the floor and I began hearing a whooshing sound near the brake booster. Checkd the vacuum pipe and sure enough there the hose is cracked at the T in the middle of the hose. New one ordered from IDParts and will be installed on Friday. The crack isn't bad and I still have braking function so I can at least get it home from work.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed the new brake booster pipe today (life took over on the weekend). As I was doing some errands before installing the pipe I had to do a panic stop when a farm tractor pulled out of field in front of me. I had to hit and hold the brake pretty hard and as I did heard a pop. The brake pedal got really stiff and braking effort was greatly increased. Now when I step on the pedal I hear air moving behind the dash and brake power is no existent. So I'm guessing the brake booster was on the way out and my panic stop hastened it's death (read similar threads on here with same problem). Sadly I need to take it to the dealer as they are the only ones who can look at it tomorrow. The car is my DD and I need it to get to work on Thursday.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Brake booster is indeed bad. Only because the tandem pump bit the dust and puked oil into it. :eek:Not how I wanted to spend that much money but I need to be able to stop. Hopefully that's it for repairs for a while.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
So this project is going to be on hold where it's at for a while. I was unexpectedly laid off last week. While I have options for work, it's made reprioritize getting a fully funded emergency fund for just this sort of situation. As things pop up I'm going to take care of them (battery and starter are high on the list) but performance and rehab mods are taking a back seat. Hopefully I'm back to rehabbing the car by next summer.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sorry to hear about your bad luck of getting laid off. Just as you were making some good head way on the car with the maintenance. are you still driving it? I'm going to assume you got the brake booster and tandem pump fixed before you got laid off, hopefully it'll stay running maintenance free until you can get the job situation sorted out.

Good luck and hopefully you can get back to working on the Jetta Wagon in no time

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to hear about your bad luck of getting laid off. Just as you were making some good head way on the car with the maintenance. are you still driving it? I'm going to assume you got the brake booster and tandem pump fixed before you got laid off, hopefully it'll stay running maintenance free until you can get the job situation sorted out.
Good luck and hopefully you can get back to working on the Jetta Wagon in no time
It all happened on the same day which really sucked but did get everything fixed and she's on the road again. I really enjoy working on the car and hope to get back to it soon. Hopefully I'll be able to find something closer to home so that will reduce the mileage that I'll be putting on it - but she'll still get plenty of highway running to keep her happy.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a little update -

Coming up on 10k miles with the car and 5k miles with the Malone Stage 1.5 tune. I've had no issues with the tune during daily driving. It's livened up the car and makes it a hoot to drive around town while still getting 43mpg avg around town. The only thing I've noticed is occasionally the clutch will slip in 5th gear when on the highway when I need WOT. It only happens in 5th and given the the tune is right at the clutch's threshold it's not worrisome. I need to teach my wife to drive a manual trans so maybe I'll get a new clutch out of that lol. But until it gets worse I'm sticking with the OEM DMF setup. When it comes time to replace it I plan on BFI lightened SMF and VR6 228mm clutch setup.

It's been cold here (right at freezing) the last several days. The car takes a little bit of additional cranking but fires up with no issue. I've had no problems with building and retaining heat in the motor - this is probably due to the Panzer Plate, FMJ, and dynamic EGR. Depending on how it does this winter I may plan for a winter front and Frost Heater for next winter. But right now it's not an issue.

The other little project I'd like to complete at the end of the winter (no sense in doing it now) is rehabbing these wheels. I like the 15" OEM Monterey wheels and they aren't in bad shape - just some minor curb rash. At the end of the winter I'll probably sand them down and hit them with Plastidip Black Sapphire for a cheap but effective wheel rehab (along with new center caps and lug caps which are missing) until I can get a professional refinishing.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Cptcrnch, I would not use the lightened flywheel unless the vehicle was built for racing; it does not look like that is what you have in mind. The heavier flywheel takes out a lot of vibration and adds a lot of inertia during shifting. I just installed a Frostheater and could not be happier; I installed mine from the top not the bottom as was suggested in the manual, and the hanger bracket I attached to the bottom of the battery tray, not the top as installing on the top of the battery tray would have required notching I did not want to do.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Cptcrnch, I would not use the lightened flywheel unless the vehicle was built for racing; it does not look like that is what you have in mind. The heavier flywheel takes out a lot of vibration and adds a lot of inertia during shifting. I just installed a Frostheater and could not be happier; I installed mine from the top not the bottom as was suggested in the manual, and the hanger bracket I attached to the bottom of the battery tray, not the top as installing on the top of the battery tray would have required notching I did not want to do.
Thank you for the excellent insights on both items. My main reason for going to a smf flywheel is the simplicity of the setup so the standard weight smf with VR6 clutch sounds like it would be the better option to fit my needs when the time comes. This is a big reason why I post my thoughts here. There are far more experienced people who have tried the products I'm considering and know vastly more then I do. I want all the input I can get so that I make the the most informed decision possible and don't waste any money.

I've heard nothing but good things about the frost heater (both installing and everyday use) and even if the car does fine this winter it can't hurt to install it to help get heat to the cabin that much quicker and get everything to operating temp quicker then normal.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Cptcrnch, I would not use the lightened flywheel unless the vehicle was built for racing; it does not look like that is what you have in mind. The heavier flywheel takes out a lot of vibration and adds a lot of inertia during shifting.
I have to agree 100%. I put a lightened flywheel on my Jetta TDI back in Sept 2009 and now am regretting doing so. I wish I had known then what I know now about the vibrations caused by a lightened flywheel. You can see my vibration issue journey here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481451

I'm now seriously considering changing out my clutch and flywheel in the spring when the weather warms up.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to agree 100%. I put a lightened flywheel on my Jetta TDI back in Sept 2009 and now am regretting doing so. I wish I had known then what I know now about the vibrations caused by a lightened flywheel. You can see my vibration issue journey here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481451
I'm now seriously considering changing out my clutch and flywheel in the spring when the weather warms up.
That thread is a good read - thanks for sharing. After Nevada_TDI post I did more research into lightened v. standard mass flywheels and learned a lot. Looks like a standard weight SMF is going to be the way to go for how I intend to use the car and as a side bonus it's a bit cheaper then a lightened version. IDParts has their own "quiet clutch" kit that is stated to be good for stock or mild tuned cars and costs less then a VR6. I have a Malone 1.5 on my car and don't intend to go any bigger on the turbo, injectors, etc. The price of the full kit can't really be beat and it's coming from a trusted vendor and supporter of the site. Just curious what clutch are you thinking about installing and why?

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Since 2009, I've had the DC Stage III+ Clutch and Lightened 17.5 lb. Flywheel. Stage III+ is probably overboard for my modifications. If I do make a change in the spring, then I was thinking of the SBC Stage 2 Endurance Clutch Kit with 21 lb. SMF. I would like to get rid of the annoying vibration. I dread taking the tranny out yet again.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I finally found a new job - it's a pay cut but way less stressful, more time at home, and most importantly I'm home every night (old job had me away twice a week for 24-36hrs at a shot). You can't put a price on happiness and improved quality of life so I'll take it. With that being said I'm getting back to rehabbing the wagon as issues pop up. Some little nagging issues have popped up in recent months and was finally able to place an order to IDParts.

The blower motor has always rattled and when it got really cold developed a mean squeal. They're easy enough to replace so I have another one on order. The blend doors will need to be recovered (foam is coming out of the vents) when it gets warmer and the plastic isn't so brittle.

Temp gauge on the dash has been randomly dropping out. Scanned the car and sure enough the Coolant Temp Sensor is throwing a code. Easy fix so another on order.

Serpentine belt tensioner has developed a chirp - especially when turning. I don't believe the PO changed it at the last TB and it looks like the 13yo OEM tensioner so another one is on the way.

Parking brake cables aren't bad - but they're not great either. Two new cables and associated clips are on the way.

Thankfully during the really wicked cold snap we had the car fired up with a little extra cranking. The battery is in decent shape (not great but it'll do until the fall since hopefully the worst of the cold is behind us). All the glow plugs tested good as well. However in the fall I would like to plan on PMing both those items. I'm also planning on getting winter tires before next winter as well - the "all seasons" that are on the car aren't the best in the snow. Plus that gives me an excuse to go to 16" wheel/summer tires when the current set wears out.

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Since the last update - blower motor, serpentine belt tensioner, coolant temp sensor, and shift cable bracket bushings have been replaced. Today, after getting a low brake fluid alarm on Thursday, found that the left rear caliper is leaking fluid at the e-brake mechanism. The bleed screw on the caliper was rounded and seized so I just ordered a new caliper from IDP and will replace it on a Thursday along with doing both brake cables.

On another note - the Hankook Kinergy GT tires that are on the car are terrible and I will never buy them again. I'll be surprised if I get another 10k miles out of them. Wet weather traction is not the greatest and the tires are already at 4/32. They started with 8/32 so to lose 50% in 9 months is not great at all. Car has been aligned twice (suspension refresh and recently after the rough winter), tires rotated twice in 12k miles, and pressure always at VW spec so it's not because of neglect. I already plan to replace them with General Altimax RT43s by the end of summer. We have them on my wife's car and they are a great all around tire (and we're surprisingly impressive in some light snow). My commute it going to be increasing here soon so I need a good long lasting tire and so far the Altimax's have proven great tires on her car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I put RT43s on my Wagon a month or so ago and like them a lot. Very quiet, ride well, and good in the rain. Much better than the Michelin Energys that I replaced. I got the set from Tire Rack for $237 after the rebate, which wasn't too shabby.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
I put RT43s on my Wagon a month or so ago and like them a lot. Very quiet, ride well, and good in the rain. Much better than the Michelin Energys that I replaced. I got the set from Tire Rack for $237 after the rebate, which wasn't too shabby.
Dang - I would love to get a set for that price! I'm definitely gonna be checking Tire Rack more often to try and get a good deal. They have them for $315 right now which still isn't bad but $237 is still way better.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Swapped the new rear caliper in today. It went almost to easily I kept expecting something to go wrong lol. It probably took less then an hour including getting the car on the jack stands and bleeding the line. I also swapped in my new ebrake cables - the right cable was good but the left one had worn almost all the way through to the cable. I was also in my oil change window so took care of that chore as well.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for some Input from other members on this...

Yesterday coming back the from the Maryland eastern shore I came across a construction zone on Route 50. They have a lane grooved for resurfacing and I couldn’t change lanes to a good one due to traffic so I rode it out. At a transition to a bridge there was a huge unmarked hole that I hit hard enough that I decided to pull over at the next exit and check the car. Nothing obvious jumped out at me so we continued on home. When we got home I grabbed my work light and looked again and noticed steering fluid leaking from the outermost part of right boot on the tie rod assembly. I cleaned it up and checked the boot which appeared fine and in place. Steering fluid was right on the “Min” mark while hot. This morning I topped off the fluid and checked under the car again and don’t see any more fluid leaking. I just had the car aligned three weeks ago and it seems to pull a bit to the right now - however this could have always been like this since the alignement and I am only noticing now because I am paying attention.

Should I be worried and have a more thorough inspection done or just monitor the fluid level and check for leaks for the next few days?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sucks to hear that you hit a big divot in the pavement. :(

I know that most alignment shops have the car setup to have the car pull slightly to the right with the steering wheel straight for safety reasons. The logic behind it is that if someone falls asleep behind the wheel, the vehicle would drift to the right, instead of neutral or possibly left into oncoming traffic where it could cause a head on collision.

I say just monitor your power steering fluid level and watch for any leaks. If you're still noticing a leak, then it would be time to dive deeper into the front end to see what's going on.

Good luck. :)

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Indeed the rack is leaking at the seal on the right side. I was going to buy a reman'd unit but found a used rack on VWVortex from a part out for way less and still in great shape with significantly less miles then mine. My tie rod ends are practically new so I'm just going to swap them over to the "new" rack and doing the sway bar bushings while they're easy to get at. Not how I was planning to spend the money but at least it's not as bad as I originally thought since I'm tackling it myself. I was initially apprehensive about doing the repair myself but with some encouragement and advice from Tdijarhead, along with a great diy on the forum here and a great YouTube video I should have hardly any issues knocking this repair out quickly.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Kind of a back story on mine.

My rack started leaking also and I thought a rebuilt would be a great idea so that’s what I bought. Quick shipping put it in my hands in short order. I installed it and no matter what I did or how I adjusted the steering wheel tie rods etc, my steering wheel was upside down. I took it for an alignment and the guy at the garage says, “there’s no way I can make that much adjustment to your steering wheel with the tie rods”.

I took it apart and compared the old rack with the rebuild. The shaft the steering wheel fits on is keyed and whoever rebuilt that rack got that shaft 180 degrees off. I sent the rebuilt rack back bought a junkyard road tested unit and I’ve been running it for 4 years or so.

I think I had the rack in and out of that car 3-4 times.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Successfully swapped in my new rack and put in new sway bar bushing while they were easy to get at. Big shoutout to TDIjarhead for giving me some tech support last night. I got stuck when the rear subframe bolts wouldn’t thread in. He gave me some advice over text message. Since this was almost 930pm I walked away for the evening, got some grub, adult beverages, and a night of rest. Came back to it this morning with fresh eyes and tightened them down in stages slowly lifting the subframe with the jack. They threaded in the whole way and still needed another 1/2 turn to hit torque spec. Buttoned it all up, added fluid, and she’s back in the road - no clunking from the subframe and no leaking fluid. The alignment is darn near still perfect. I still plan to get an alignment done but at least it’s not way off.

This is by far the biggest repair I’ve done on my own. Thanks to this forum I was able to find everything I needed, from parts needed, DIYs, and the aforementioned tech support - saving myself hundreds of dollars.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
More of an encouragement support, than tech, good job Joel I’m glad you got it all back together and it works.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Car passed PA state inspection and Monday it goes for new General Altimax RT43s. Ended up getting all four tires for $265 shipped after the rebate from Tire Rack and my local installer will mount/balance all of them for $50. Really looking forward to getting these terrible Hankook tires replaced.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
Last week after shutting down the engine I heard the tell tale sign of a stripped gear in the ASV. Quickly sourced a "new" ASV from a part-out on here. Today, while doing my weekly under hood fluids/visual check I noticed that the large radiator fan looked wonky. Turns out it has come off the spindle and it no longer operational. Thankfully it didn't break into a million pieces an R&R will be easy and I'm hoping to score a fan from the same part-out. Though it's gonna be a long weekend with no AC and the hot temps were expecting.