Is the Golf R suspension an upgrade (Mk6)?

Optical TDI

I'm considering a mild suspension upgrade preferably with minimal lowering. Considering the TDI comes with a Sport suspension (just like GTI, correct?), would the Mk6 Golf R suspension be an upgrade to the Mk6 TDI suspension?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The TDI suspension is between a base Golf and a GTI; it isn't identical to the GTI.

As for the Golf R suspension, the TDI is too light; the Golf R suspension would not lower at all and would likely ride pretty rough as well.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Get coilovers and a sway bar, it will be cheaper than a VW suspension and better, even Golf R guys get coilovers on there cars...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The OP could consider coilovers; however, considering his goal:
I'm considering a mild suspension upgrade preferably with minimal lowering.
That would not really be the best solution...

OP; you should look into a set of Driver Gear sport springs made to work with your car's shock setup as is, they will ride basically like stock with a minor drop (~1 inch).

All the information you could ever need can be found here:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12098&highlight=Driver+Gear+Springs ;)

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Coilovers are adjustable, go as low as you want or leave stock ride height, either way coilovers ar your best best, springs suck in the long run, don't ride near as well as coilovers and will eventually wear your shocks out, unlike coilovers...

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Unless the springs are actually made specifically to go with your stock shocks; such as the VW Driver Gear springs I just posted above... ;)

Coilovers also wear out; require regular maintenance to protect the threads or they can seize up, very few will go anywhere near stock height, and cost triple what a set of springs does for the basic models (which don't have the adjustability you are talking about)...

Coilovers are great if you know what you are doing; and want adjustability. For someone who is looking for a mild upgrade and a mild drop; they are simply a waste of money when the same can be done with a proper set of springs.

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Unless the springs are actually made specifically to go with your stock shocks; such as the VW Driver Gear springs I just posted above... ;)

Coilovers also wear out; require regular maintenance to protect the threads or they can seize up, very few will go anywhere near stock height, and cost triple what a set of springs does for the basic models (which don't have the adjustability you are talking about).
Coilovers will last well over 100k, do not need maintenance, and will not wear out your shocks, all springs will wear stock shock out, H and R springs are made for VW also and only$200, get coilovers and be done with it, springs are the cheap way to do things, hence why they pre wear shocks I have had them both, to each is own... by the way never had a coilover require maintance or have the threads seize, lol...both my BMW and VW have coilovers, never once have I had to touch them, well over 50k on both sets...

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Wow; so your assertion of "I have had them both" somehow makes you an expert compared to, say, anyone else who has also had them both...?

I've had them both as well, for hundreds of thousands of miles; and your following assertions are simply not true:
  • Coilovers will last well over 100k: Sure, if you spend upwards of $2000 on a set. If you are talking sub $1000 coilovers then they will fail just as quickly as any other basic product does. People looking for a "mild" upgrade do not generally look to spend 2-3K on their suspension...
  • Do not need maintenance: So do you expect your car to continue driving without any regular maintenance? ALL coilovers require maintenance for proper operation. I'm not talking a monthly headache, but at least once a year (depending on mileage) you need to clean and grease the threads to keep off any oxidation and dirt, check the collars and fittings to ensure nothing is loose, etc. Not doing so is the same as skipping any other regular maintenance and expecting the car to "just keep going".
  • Will not wear out your shocks: Of course they will. Coilovers wear out just as ANY shock or strut wears out. Coilovers are matched, so will generally last about as long as original equipment will, but ALL shocks/struts will eventually wear out. If you are buying cheap coilovers, expect them to wear out as fast as cheap springs will wear out shocks...
  • all springs will wear stock shock out: See above; but properly made springs will not wear out OEM shocks any faster than OEM springs will; and will last as a set just as long as coilovers will.
VWR (Driver Gear) springs are specifically made to work with the VW OEM suspension; they are linear, just as stock springs are (rather than Progressive, such as the H&R springs you complain about) and are even covered under the VW warranty if purchase with the car. They DON'T wear anything out any more than OEM does on its own. Buying cheap coilovers is the cheap way to do things, buying properly made springs for the shocks you have or want to use is simply the less expensive way.

That's why they are such a great upgrade for someone looking for a mild drop and handling improvement...

Honestly; I'm out of this (unless the OP has more questions). I don't sell springs, and I doubt you sell coilovers... :D so neither of us have anything invested in this. Just trying to provide accurate information... ;)

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
If you buy subpar coilovers just get springs, because when you just buy springs your shocks will need replacing and in the end you will have spent what coilovers cost, H and R coilovers cost $1200 for the VW will not wear out for the life of the car 100k or more, like I said to each is own...

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Wow; so your assertion of "I have had them both" somehow makes you an expert compared to, say, anyone else who has also had them both...?

I've had them both as well, for hundreds of thousands of miles; and your following assertions are simply not true:
  • Coilovers will last well over 100k: Sure, if you spend upwards of $2000 on a set. If you are talking sub $1000 coilovers then they will fail just as quickly as any other basic product does. People looking for a "mild" upgrade do not generally look to spend 2-3K on their suspension...
  • Do not need maintenance: So do you expect your car to continue driving without any regular maintenance? ALL coilovers require maintenance for proper operation. I'm not talking a monthly headache, but at least once a year (depending on mileage) you need to clean and grease the threads to keep off any oxidation and dirt, check the collars and fittings to ensure nothing is loose, etc. Not doing so is the same as skipping any other regular maintenance and expecting the car to "just keep going".
  • Will not wear out your shocks: Of course they will. Coilovers wear out just as ANY shock or strut wears out. Coilovers are matched, so will generally last about as long as original equipment will, but ALL shocks/struts will eventually wear out. If you are buying cheap coilovers, expect them to wear out as fast as cheap springs will wear out shocks...
  • all springs will wear stock shock out: See above; but properly made springs will not wear out OEM shocks any faster than OEM springs will; and will last as a set just as long as coilovers will.
VWR (Driver Gear) springs are specifically made to work with the VW OEM suspension; they are linear, just as stock springs are (rather than Progressive, such as the H&R springs you complain about) and are even covered under the VW warranty if purchase with the car. They DON'T wear anything out any more than OEM does on its own. Buying cheap coilovers is the cheap way to do things, buying properly made springs for the shocks you have or want to use is simply the less expensive way.

That's why they are such a great upgrade for someone looking for a mild drop and handling improvement...

Honestly; I'm out of this (unless the OP has more questions). I don't sell springs, and I doubt you sell coilovers... :D so neither of us have anything invested in this. Just trying to provide accurate information... ;)
Im not a vendor here, but yes I sell both...

Bigtuna00

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 BMW 330xi Sports Wagon
Coilovers are adjustable, go as low as you want or leave stock ride height, either way coilovers ar your best best, springs suck in the long run, don't ride near as well as coilovers and will eventually wear your shocks out, unlike coilovers...
This is misleading. Most coilovers have a maximum ride height that is still lower than stock. Going above the maximum (the threaded body will generally allow this) is dangerous.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
This is kind of a stupid argument. Lowering a car typically means stiffer springs both for reduced body roll and to reduce suspension compression with the shorter travel. In my opinion, most lowering springs do not increase the spring rate enough for how much they lower the car. Some are worse than others, but I think it's much worse to hear and feel the suspension bottom out constantly than it is to just run a stiffer spring and deal with it. To accommodate the stiffer springs you really need an increase in dampening or it will ride terrible. So, to do it right you quickly get into buying shocks and struts, which in the end will cost about as much as some decent coilovers. The coilovers, however, will have the spring rates that you really need if you want to lower the car much or have anything planned for it in terms of performance.

It looks like most of you in this thread are from some east coast place and I understand you have to worry about corrosion and such, but out here I just wipe them down with a rag or hose them off when I have to adjust them in order to get the dirt out of the threads.

So, if you're going to do some sort of springs then keep it mild because your stock shocks will feel much worse and possibly fail sooner with aggressive lowering springs. Beyond that, I would choose coilovers almost every time.