MK6 Golf TDI - Clutch Upgrade

quicksilver98

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Guys,

Does anyone make a slightly better clutch for the DMF? I would like to replace my clutch when we install my new engine. Anyone have any suggestions. I dont really want to spend the money for a SMF, especially after paying for an engine.

I have a Malone Stage 2 tune and full Rawtek exhaust, so it chatters a bit under load. My goal is to try to mitigate this as much as possible.

Any help is much appreciated...

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
You blew your engine - already???!!! On a 2011???!!!

You are obviously doing something very wrong!!!.

Our '98 Jetta is just like new at 16 years old, and 227K miles.

Just give light acceleration, and shift into every next higher gear at 1,700 RPM, and you will get back on track, and your engine will last, and last, and last. :D:D:D

NovaMoto

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 TDI Golf
There isn't much out there in terms of SMF/clutch kits for our transmission. The bolt pattern and tranny type match that of a 6 speed GLI from a few years back so the aftermarket is bleak I'm told.

My DMF is making noise and I'm looking for options too

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
SMF will kill your (this may be inaccurate) synchros during idle, if you let it idle a lot. I would just replace the DMF for now. Stock clutch should be fine until you upgrade to a larger turbo but even then it may just begin to slip.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
SMF will kill your (this may be inaccurate) synchros during idle, if you let it idle a lot. I would just replace the DMF for now. Stock clutch should be fine until you upgrade to a larger turbo but even then it may just begin to slip.
I don't see how that would kill transmission's synchronizers at idle. Perhaps you mean bearings?
even then I don't see how that would hurt or otherwise negatively effect the transmission.

I'm personally wondering what are the negatives of getting a SMF over a stock DMF?

I know there's one company that sells a SMF for our cars, but it's a pricey kit at a little over $1k.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I read something about vibration issues with SMF and this diesel engine. I don't know if it's true and I'm certainly not an expert about such things.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I don't see how that would kill transmission's synchronizers at idle. Perhaps you mean bearings?
even then I don't see how that would hurt or otherwise negatively effect the transmission.
I'm personally wondering what are the negatives of getting a SMF over a stock DMF?
I know there's one company that sells a SMF for our cars, but it's a pricey kit at a little over $1k.
I think it is a combination of driving style and SMF; I've just heard stories.

I know that it will most likely produce chatter, nobody likes chatter.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I think it is a combination of driving style and SMF; I've just heard stories.
I know that it will most likely produce chatter, nobody likes chatter.
Driving style (aggressive and banging through the gears) can cause excess synchro ware. I had a pretty quick honda accord with a engine swap for my first car and beat the daylights outta that thing. 2 -> 3 would always cause a nice crunch if I was redlining from gear to gear.

I've heard that chatter is a very real possibility with this setup. Working at a BMW dealership years ago I saw a E39 M5 come in with a lightweight flywheel & Race clutch. it definitely had excess noise at idle compared to a stock setup. Though I think that this is a case of YMMV more then anything else.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Mine chattered after the tune, got the tune turned down a smidgen, and its been smooth since. Clutch is good, and it shifts fine still after 50kmi. Now I drive it pretty reasonably, I have a short shifter but I don't bang the gears, I just like the nice short crisp feel, and with the exception of the infrequent fast pass or evasive traffic maneuver I don't drive it hard. (I do tow a trailer occasionally, so the clutch does get some use..) If I want to drive something fast I ride my bike, there are few cars at any price that can beat a $10k bike in the 0-100-0 test.

DieselDubs83

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Passat BHW, 82 Caddy TDI
Single Mass Syncro issues

We have a customer that is running the SB Endurance clutch and he is on his third set of syncros. In VW's ultimate pursuit of keeping these cars within a budget they stopped using brass syncros on 1st through 4th gear. 1st-4th are getting carbon/steel syncros and due to the vibration from extended idling the syncro buds are shearing off (because they are much harder than brass?). 5th and 6th are no problem and they still have brass syncros. :mad:

-Les

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
^ more data please. What car is this, how many miles on the car, how many miles since the clutch swap, what is the car used for. Thanks.

DieselDubs83

TDI
^ more data please. What car is this, how many miles on the car, how many miles since the clutch swap, what is the car used for. Thanks.
This Is in a 2011 Golf TDI 6M. He has a Malone stage 2 and daily drives this car. This car had around 24K miles on it when he installed the SB clutch. He does track the car but that has never caused him a problem. This car is driven highway a lot and idles for hours when he rests in the car. After these extended idle times he will no longer have the lower gear syncros.

atsffan

TDI
2013 Golf United Grey 6M 2 doors, no waiting.
My previous VW was a Passat 1.8T and there were a number of posters on Passat World that tried SMF after going with a larger turbo and remap to get the HP & torque in the 250+ range. There were multiple issues with chatter and difficult engagement.

Be prepared to deal with those problems if you decide to make the move from a DMF.

ziggy55

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
What is being used on the CR170 on the GTD. Also I believe darkside has upgrade kits from sachs, just not sure if they will fit on NA cars.

Turboneon1997

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6sp Man.
Yes a SMF will rattle your fillings out and destroy your synchros. we installed 3 different south bend clutches on my car and each one the car sounded like a helicopter. We eventually went with a new factory flywheel. The quality of the clutches are great, but i wouldn't do it on a car you drive a lot.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
We have a customer that is running the SB Endurance clutch and he is on his third set of syncros. In VW's ultimate pursuit of keeping these cars within a budget they stopped using brass syncros on 1st through 4th gear. 1st-4th are getting carbon/steel syncros and due to the vibration from extended idling the syncro buds are shearing off (because they are much harder than brass?). 5th and 6th are no problem and they still have brass syncros. :mad:

-Les
Oh man... that's not good. I was planning going the Southbend route with one of their SMFs and a stage II clutch. Can our transmissions be retrofitted with brass syncros?

You'll recall Les that my SMF also chatters during low RPM, peak torque moments after you tuned my car.

DieselDubs83

TDI
Oh man... that's not good. I was planning going the Southbend route with one of their SMFs and a stage II clutch. Can our transmissions be retrofitted with brass syncros?

You'll recall Les that my SMF also chatters during low RPM, peak torque moments after you tuned my car.
Through a lot of research and talking with clutch masters, Sachs, Spec and SB reps I decided to use a custom Sachs single mass setup on the last GTB job. Very noisy but rated for excellent holding capacity and supplier has had good luck with it.

Rumor has it that the SB's may not have been disengaging correctly?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Through a lot of research and talking with clutch masters, Sachs, Spec and SB reps I decided to use a custom Sachs single mass setup on the last GTB job. Very noisy but rated for excellent holding capacity and supplier has had good luck with it.

Rumor has it that the SB's may not have been disengaging correctly?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Did the Sachs go into one of your personal vehicles or a customer's car? I'm just curious about the long-term; if the Sachs won't kill the synchros, then I'll go with your recommendation when it's time to replace the clutch.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Any updates on these synchro/bearing issues with SMFs? I can't even find a DMF replacement for the CJAA and am freaking out over the thought of spending ~$1500 to replace a DD clutch. (I have no idea why nearly identical SBC clutches on idparts are over twice the price of the last gen. It's infuriating.)

I would be interested in slight upgrade over the stock DMF - and don't mind a little chatter - but if I'm looking at destroying a gearbox, I'm gonna cower toward staying with a DMF.

Colindunn

TDI
2010 Sportwagen 6MT
This is exactly how I feel. I am at the point where I need to replace the flywheel, (clutch is fine but thats getting replaced as well). I'm at 200k miles and it seems impossible to find a single person that has an upgraded clutch or a SMF on their TDI. All I'm looking for is input or someone that can review something but there is nothing.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Bump for some answers from the pros!

FarmLandWanted

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen 6 Speed Manual
Clutch Headaches HELP!

My factory Dual Mass Flywheel failed at 180,000 at which time I did a Malone Tune and I replaced it with South Bends single mass stage two clutch part # K0503FTDI-HD-O. The South Bend ran less than 30,000 miles and first gear syncro failed. I drove it about another 30,000 miles starting out in second gear at last I could not get it into any gear. When I removed the trans to replace I decided to inspect clutch Disc and noticed a crack in the hub if you will, that the springs are housed in on the clutch disc. I did not like the much firmer pedal with the South Bend Clutch and the fact that I had to depress it nearly to the floor to shift. I just today replaced the transmission and then I see many posts talking about syncro failure do to the single mass flywheel or perhaps the South Bend clutch did not release as I said before until the pedal is almost to the floor. Also the vibration under acceleration from the single mass flywheel is very noticeable. I am now leaning toward pulling the transmission out again and looking for another dual mass clutch. I do not want to have a syncro failure on the new transmission again. Just curious if anyone can point me in a direction of what clutch to go to? Perhaps you could point me to someone or a post that can help. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you in advance for your time.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have installed 2 south bend stage 2 in 2009+ Jetta,s one with just a tune and one with a stage 3 tune turbo upgrade and DPF be gone complete .
I have not heard a thing bad from the first one it has a lot of miles on that one.
The stage 3 tune car drove very nice I did not feel that much vibration.
I did do a vid of the first one with a cup of water on the engine cover and a stock car next to it. they both looked the same??
I run a SB stage 2E in my ALH beetle roadracer close to 200HP for 4,6,8 hr runs and it is still holding great.