WTB: Looking at buying this car give me your opinion

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
HELP READ LATEST POST --- WTB: Looking at buying this car give me your opinion

Please Close I have a 2002 TDI GLS now

Now mostly a thread for Opinions on new finds as original deal is gone

For $4000 I am getting this. Good Deal??? From a Dealership that has full history of the vehicle

2000 VW Golf Diesel .... 450,000km

These are the parts that will be replaced if I buy the Car
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch oil line
Valve cover gasket
Turbocharger
Timing belt, water pump, and idler bearings
Front and rear brakes
Left Rear Caliper
Front Control Arm Bushings
Air filter/ Pollen filter/ fuel filter
EGR valve
Windsheild
Drivers Door
Wheel Alignment
While the windsheild is being replaced we will touch up the rust on the roof.

Last edited:

marcus63

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 TDI Auto, 2003 TDI 5 Speed (mine)
Looks very clean inside. How much if you don't mind asking?

marcus63

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 TDI Auto, 2003 TDI 5 Speed (mine)
Sorry, didn't notice. I guess that's a good price if you consider the parts and work to be done...Start thinking about tuning:) Good luck and enjoy your ride.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I think that's too much for the mileage. Mine was less with half the mileage. Jetta, mind you.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Ok, this all depends on why you are replacing the parts on your list...

What actually needs replacing due to failure or imminent failure and what do you want to replace for "Performance/Looks" reasons??

Just looking at the list, you may be in for an additional $2000 in parts and labour. As well, I see some Rust on the front fender, but you can get VW to fix that up.

I think that with all the work you may need to do $4000 is too much, try and knock it down to $3000 and you will be in better shape.

MrVermin

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Trying to read this right, you are getting the car for $4k and putting all those parts in yourself? Or is the dealer going to
do those parts for $4k inclusive? If you are having to do that much work, horrible deal. I picked up a 2001 golf with
360k that needed a clutch and timing belt for $800. My own car, I picked up over 3 years ago, had 215 on the odo
for $2600. There are deals out there if you take the time to look and be quick on the response.

Last edited:

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
Has it been sitting for a while?
By the look of the front brake rotor it has .. and thus them replacing all the brakes.

Looking on Kijiji and Trader , it doesn't look like there is much up in the Sue for sale for TDI's or even VW at all .
So with the supply and demand theory they are setting the market price, and it looks like they have a few VW's around by the pictures.

It might be worth shopping in the GTA and making the trip (or two) to seal a deal and pickup. Temp plates are cheap and insurance is just a phone call and email away these days.

IMO the mileage is a little high for the price , but I am comparing it to local GTA prices where on average there are 10 new TDI Kijiji ads a day.

I paid $3400 for my 2k Jetta TDI and it had 230,000 km and $1800 or my 01 TDI with 312,000km that needed a clutch ..

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
$4000 for everything labour included on the list and the shop is doing all the work

main reason for most replacement is that we want the stuff replaced not the dealer we just want anything that might go on it like the turbo etc so basically only the engine will have 450,000 trust me I have asked for them to rebuild the engine too but they said it wouldnt need it because the engine will keep on going, going and going

Price was $3000 before all these replaced parts

anything else I should ask for to be replaced???

Last edited:

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
Has it been sitting for a while?
By the look of the front brake rotor it has .. and thus them replacing all the brakes.

Looking on Kijiji and Trader , it doesn't look like there is much up in the Sue for sale for TDI's or even VW at all .
So with the supply and demand theory they are setting the market price, and it looks like they have a few VW's around by the pictures.

It might be worth shopping in the GTA and making the trip (or two) to seal a deal and pickup. Temp plates are cheap and insurance is just a phone call and email away these days.

IMO the mileage is a little high for the price , but I am comparing it to local GTA prices where on average there are 10 new TDI Kijiji ads a day.

I paid $3400 for my 2k Jetta TDI and it had 230,000 km and $1800 or my 01 TDI with 312,000km that needed a clutch ..
yes nothing in SSM...

This is from Ottawa lol not local but from mechanic/dealership we trust

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
$4000 for everything labour included on the list and the shop is doing all the work

main reason for most replacement is that we want the stuff replaced not the dealer we just want anything that might go on it like the turbo etc so basically only the engine will have 450,000 trust me I have asked for them to rebuild the engine too but they said it wouldnt need it because the engine will keep on going, going and going

Price was $3000 before all these replaced parts

anything else I should ask for to be replaced???
$3000 before all the new parts. So for all those new parts it would be an extra $1000. Isn't a new turbo alone about $800???

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
$3000 before all the new parts. So for all those new parts it would be an extra $1000. Isn't a new turbo alone about $800???
yes thats why it is a deal and I made sure it was new not rebuilt turbo

Clutch was taken out for another car emergency fix so that cost of parts/labour is going in kind of free

I gave him $4000 budget no more and he wants my business so that is why he is willing to do it plus I have family working there so I wont be screwed over hopefully

Last edited:

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
wow I would honestly pass. That looks like a pretty expensive turd.

What is 'touch up' on rust by the windsheild/roof? paint over it? considering it will probably spread soon since it looks pretty brown and rusty. I'm sure you wouldn't want to have water leak between the roof and windsheild in 2-4 years.

450,000km for $4000.00 is TOO MUCH

Look around on kijiji and have patience, there are 280,xxx - 350,000km Golf's that come on here in the price range of 2800-4000.00

I would pass on this.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
^ not a TDI though...

my mistake...

Just a few quick kijiji searches:

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-GTI-TDI-Sedan-SAVE-ON-GAS-W0QQAdIdZ402817498

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...swagen-Jetta-GLS-TDI-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ402707270

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...swagen-Golf-Golf-TDI-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ402325759

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2003-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI-W0QQAdIdZ402060810

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ401548283

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...gen-Golf-GLS-TDI-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ401202333

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...VOLKSWAGEN-JETTA-TDI-SEDAN-W0QQAdIdZ393201667

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI-W0QQAdIdZ382925502

and I could keep posting.

As I said, 4000 for that golf is a ripoff.

Rust on the front fenders...sure not a problem since you can replace them. Rust on rear quarters or roof/windsheild...I would strongly pass on.

Buying the car with rust for under 2500 as a daily driver without any regard for the body sure...but paying 4000.00 for a car with such bad rust spots...I would pass on.

In the links I posted, I believe all are diesel. I belive all are 100,000KM LESS then the golf and all are $4000.00 and less.

If you don't mind getting a jetta, then there is a huge selection of diesels. If you are fixated on a golf(not sure why) then your selection is more limited...but the black golf tdi I posted is pretty darn good!

edit: I was in your shoes a few weeks/months ago. I needed a tdi for travel and wanted to get a golf. After giving my head a shake...I realized...the body will rust eventually but if I can get a better body car it will last longer. If I buy a good condition diesel with high KM's...I can in time swap out the engine for a better/newer/less KM one...but buying a car with a bad body and high km's is a bad deck of cards.

Last edited:

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
The only problem I see with the ads above is that they are all over ontario and I live so far away that I would have to buy without mechanic inspection plus I have to worry about the clutch, turbo etc which I dont know how long will last in these cars

I would love to buy a 1500-2500 car in ottawa area or my area. Then get all the replaced parts I am getting and applying it to the car but for that price almost all cars that hit the market are very rusty or same situation so after all the repairs I would very close to $4000 again

I am always on Kijiji and refreshing every hour or so. If you know any other great deals post them. I dont mind a Jetta or Passat

We have not sent money yet to start the process but my spouse is leaning that way because she knows most stuff will be taken care of by a professional and we might have our own car sold tonight

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
For $4000 I am getting this. Good Deal??? From a Dealership that has full history of the vehicle

2000 VW Golf Diesel .... 450,000km

These are the parts that will be replaced if I buy the Car
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch oil line
Valve cover gasket
Turbocharger
Timing belt, water pump, and idler bearings
Front and rear brakes
Left Rear Caliper
Front Control Arm Bushings
Air filter/ Pollen filter/ fuel filter
EGR valve
Windsheild
Drivers Door
Wheel Alignment
While the windsheild is being replaced we will touch up the rust on the roof.
Considering the amount of work being done, I would say you are getting the car for about $1000.

The timing belt is around $700 (parts & labour)
The turbo is about $1000 (P & L)
The brakes are about $500 (P & L)
Add another $800 for all the other little things (alignment, windshield, EGR valve, etc)

So there is at least $3000 worth of work being done to that car. If it is just a daily driver and your not concerned about looks, then its not a bad deal at all. Thats a lot of work being done and most of the stuff on that list would have to be done to ANY car you buy (except maybe the turbo). And the fact it is being purchased from someone you know & trust helps too. If something does go wrong, they are more likely to help you out than a stranger working at a dealer.

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
I get 6 months warranty on anything else that might go wrong. He covers cost of parts I cover labour because we are so far away

Turbo is getting done because I am asking it to be done. I just dont trust 450,000km on a turbo and might as well do it when I can instead of when it is a problem

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I get 6 months warranty on anything else that might go wrong. He covers cost of parts I cover labour because we are so far away

Turbo is getting done because I am asking it to be done. I just dont trust 450,000km on a turbo and might as well do it when I can instead of when it is a problem
I'm thinking dealer will tell you what ever you want to hear and then just pretend they are replaced.

Get everything in writhing! specify what must be new and refurbished! You also have to consider the car is old and has lot of kms on it. You are fixing most of the expensive engine items, but how about electrical, mechanical driveline, suspension, wipers? How long ago the tranny was taken out of the car? how long its been sitting? I thik its better for you to walk away and get something with less kms.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I think that's too much for the mileage. Mine was less with half the mileage. Jetta, mind you.
You got a wicked deal then...3500-4 grand is about average for a car like this in my area with 300+k after that point in mileage i look more at the body if it is solid enough to be worth rebuilding mechanically.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
MAF sensor. Common problem on these cars. A bad sensor doesn't always throw a trouble code, so it will have to be checked with a VCDS.

Sway bar bushings. Also a common issue. Parts are $5 and can be changed easily.

Tires. Check the date of manufacture. If older than 5 or 6 years old, ask for them to be replaced too.

Last edited:

christonian

TDI
2002 Silver TDI
MAF sensor. Common problem on these cars. A bad sensor doesn't always throw a trouble code, so it will have to be checked with a VCDS.

Sway bar bushings. Also a common issue. Parts are $5 and can be changed easily.

Tires. Check the date of manufacture. If older than 5 or 6 years old, ask for them to be replaced too.
Ok Thanks I will ask for these also

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
You got a wicked deal then...3500-4 grand is about average for a car like this in my area with 300+k after that point in mileage i look more at the body if it is solid enough to be worth rebuilding mechanically.
I scoured kijiji for a great deal. Bought it the day it was listed, during a snowstorm :)