Seeking Aux Fuel Tank for Jetta Wagon TDI

Gary Barnhill

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE SR & Nav
I'm an old fart. Went thru the fuel shortages in the seventies. Pushing (to save fuel) the car in a 3 block line of cars towards the gas station, only to learn the pumps they were out of fuel until tomorrow. There were actually shootings of people who jumped the line. Fuel was not rationed, but one had to wait in line for a fillup.

So, does anyone know who builds aux fuel tanks for automobiles?

I'm thinking a custom fabrication in the spare tire storage well would be ideal, then tieing down the spare tire in the trunk area.

I had an aux fuel tank in the trunk of a 1979 Rabbit diesel. I had a 1000 miles range.

With 17 in the Jetta main tank, and say a 15 gallon aux tank, the range would be nearly 1500 miles.

Perhaps I over reacting, but when the nukes start flying in the Middle East, as I believe they will in the near future, there will likely be a fuel shortage, to say nothing of high fuel prices.

Many thanks for any assistance locking an aux tank or fabricator who could manufacture one.

nuke

Veteran Member
Why not just order a barrel of biodiesel? 55 gallons is good for 2000 miles in a TDI. That's my plan when we buy a house, or maybe sooner if things start looking grim.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
well you need to put in a fuel oil tank so you can... ""run your furnace""(wink/wink)..I have an friend who even has a diesel powered a/c unit on his house????

then when you have #2 delivered to your house, be sure to pay taxes on it... then ... you can legally use it in you vehicle as well...if you buy about 500 gals at a time, you can buy for about the same as the pump price.. buy more and it will be slightly cheaper...

Weisse Bora

Veteran Member
Get a bulk tank. Mileage will suffer unless its just highway use with little stop and go. Carrying extra weight just burns extra fuel.

BTW, how does BD fare in storage? Keep it under nitrogen? Any fumes?