Scary uneven brake pad wear

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
'01 Jetta acquired a year ago, replaced just the pads all around, and replaced the rear rotors. I left the front rotors in place since they were OK thickness-wise. I lubed (silicon grease) the pins and everything by the book or so I thought, and I have zero symptoms - no shudder or anything. Brakes perform excellent. Rear pads and rotors look perfect.

Today I noticed some insanely uneven pad wear on my fronts.
Questions: What did I do wrong to create this scary wear pattern, and how do I make sure and correct it once new pads are on?
I want to replace the front rotors and pads ASAP.
Left front:

Right front:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/showfull.php?photo=132322

Advise, please and thank you!

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Perhaps I'm having trouble with one photo not being next to the other (I have to follow the link) but they look fine....

What's wrong exactly? Left more worn?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
If you look carefully at the above photo, you can see that most of the pad is not even with the rotor. The metal backing of the pad is parallel to the rotor, the body of the pad itself is not (if you compare to the backing).
The pad has become wedge-shaped with the front way slimmer than the rear of it.

The wear pattern is the same left vs. right pads.

I'll have to wait for my gal to get free so she can exercise the brakes while I watch what's going on with the motion there.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Check guide pins for wear and properly greased.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd stick a phone camera in there and look along the disc, some pads are tapered on the edge that would create an optical illusion like it's wearing uneven.

Take a look at the last photo on this page:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431445-abnormal-brake-pad-wear/

Were your new pads tapered?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If you look carefully at the above photo, you can see that most of the pad is not even with the rotor. The metal backing of the pad is parallel to the rotor, the body of the pad itself is not (if you compare to the backing).
The pad has become wedge-shaped with the front way slimmer than the rear of it.
uh, look at some brand new pads, the ends are cut down like that from the factory

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Looks like a wedge, not like a typical tapered end. Clearly more meat at the bottom.

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
When I saw the taper on my new pads it threw me for a loop too. If the taper is anything like the ones shown in Figit090's last post, it's normal.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Yeah gotta agree with everyone else, I see nothing wrong. That swege missing is supposed to be there.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
STDOUBT-I'm with you on this... They DO look wedge shaped, not tapered. Optics can be deceiving, however that picture looks like uneven brake pad wear big time. Look at the rear pads again. Post a pic of the rears at the same exact angle you took of the fronts. If they are perfect like you say, there is no way your fronts should be this far off. I bet someone here has a pic of their brake pads for comparison.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It could be the camera angle :confused:. If you don't have a dial caliper or small metal machinist ruler to measure the pad thickness to see if it is tapered, try this. I would grab two wooden toothpicks and a marker. At the non beveled part of the pad, place the tip of the first toothpick on the rotor, and measure back to the backing material. That will give you a point of reference for how thick the pad is THERE. Measure the distance a few inches away (or at the end of the possible taper), mark the second tooth pick THERE. Place booth toothpicks side by side. The marks should line up if the pad thickness is the same. If one line is shorter than the other, then you have a taper and don't need to pull the rear wheels off.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
It must have been the viewing angle. Those goofy bevels. I guess they're
there for a reason? Anyway, I only checked the driver's side. Looks A-OK IMO
Thanks everyone!
From directly above, no tire:

From rearward from hub:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
There, now you can rest easy, enjoy some of this rain we're getting.

SteelyTed

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 800mile club
What is the purpose of the taper? Anyone know? I've seen it on other vehicles, not just VW. Of course as the pad wears, the surface area in contact with the rotor increases. It must have something to do with the fact that the rotor speed increases in direct proportion to the distance away from the center?:confused:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I had no problem believing there was something wrong. I may even have the wrecked pads still, but there was about 3/16" difference in thickness as you went out radially. Caliper was bent. New one with new pads did not wear that way.
cheers,
Douglas

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the purpose of the taper? Anyone know? I've seen it on other vehicles, not just VW. Of course as the pad wears, the surface area in contact with the rotor increases. It must have something to do with the fact that the rotor speed increases in direct proportion to the distance away from the center?:confused:
I would guess that it's to eliminate brake noise on new pads that haven't settled in yet, and throughout most of the brake pad life. If it's a tapered edge it should slide on the rotor smoother than a block. Imagine a sled on snow, you want to have a tapered front or you'll dig in.

Similar concept, a brake pad might vibrate or squeal if the leading edge is perpendicular to the rotor. Kinda like nails on a chalkboard!:D