Gauge Light issues

Chbach

TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI
I Have a 2001 Golf, and it used to have intermittent issues where id turn the light switch on and sometimes the back light for the radio and other accessories wouldn't turn on. this issue had all but gone away until the other day when i turned my lights on and smelled burning plastic, and looked over at the dimming switch and saw it had a flame inside it, i turned off the lights and blew it out turned it back on parked the car for the night. the nest day i go and grab a new dimmer switch and new main light switch and replace both as well as check the fuses that control gauge lights. the fuses were not blown, now the lights for my main gauge cluster work and the main switch is backlit but the rest of the switches are not, i.e. radio window buttons, climate control. The dimmer switch also seems to have no effect on the brightness of the main cluster who are at full brightness. Im out of ideas and am hoping someone has some things I can check. I have a complete parts car, so i can easily just swap things to try.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
This may be a tough one to find.
I think you will have to trace a gray/blue wire from the dimmer to where it may have shorted & burnt.