www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old August 14th, 2019, 20:24   #16
nucklehead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37

I've been using Battery Tender's for many years now. At roughly $45 a pop it beats having to buy a new battery every spring for the Miata, and I keep one on the Golf too, even though it doesn't often sit for more than 4-5 days at a stretch. I'm retired so I don't really need to get out and about in crappy weather, so I don't!

The Deltran Battery Tender isn't a trickle charger, it's a smart charger. I have two of their 1 amp chargers, one for each car. My last Harley (sold a few years ago) went 7 years with one battery, using the Tender Jr. which is 3/4 amp. More than enough for a MC. I only changed the battery out because I was selling it and didn't want it to die on the new owner.

My Miata uses a glass-mat battery due to it being located in the trunk, they are expensive, usually around $200 for a quality battery. The car sits for 4-5 months at a time, and I don't care to fire it up every so often. The Golf will get an $89 Wal-Mart special when its time for a new battery in it. Many years from now.

Current Daily - 2013 Golf TDI/DSG
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 05:37   #17
ricohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucklehead View Post
I've been using Battery Tender's for many years now. At roughly $45 a pop it beats having to buy a new battery every spring for the Miata, and I keep one on the Golf too, even though it doesn't often sit for more than 4-5 days at a stretch. I'm retired so I don't really need to get out and about in crappy weather, so I don't!

The Deltran Battery Tender isn't a trickle charger, it's a smart charger. I have two of their 1 amp chargers, one for each car. My last Harley (sold a few years ago) went 7 years with one battery, using the Tender Jr. which is 3/4 amp. More than enough for a MC. I only changed the battery out because I was selling it and didn't want it to die on the new owner.

My Miata uses a glass-mat battery due to it being located in the trunk, they are expensive, usually around $200 for a quality battery. The car sits for 4-5 months at a time, and I don't care to fire it up every so often. The Golf will get an $89 Wal-Mart special when its time for a new battery in it. Many years from now.
I use a battery tender jr on my BMW GS. Those glass matt batteries are expensive. Learned that lesson already.
I bought this battery from Costco. In Canada the 730CCA battery is $134.
The car started perfectly yesterday after work and this morning again. I am pretty confident that was the original battery. I would have never made it through the coming winter even with the electric blanket plugged in.

Last edited by ricohman; August 15th, 2019 at 21:16.
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2019, 16:29   #18
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Hate to hijack the thread but quick ? on the Polar FIS because it looks amazing and is not too bad price.

Is this something the dealership may find during routine servicing? Would hate to jeopardize the dieselgate warranty. Also anyone install on a 2010-2014 Sportwagen - the video on the Kerma site is a different platform.

Thanks in advance and again apologies for the hijack.
'11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG - 48k
Candy White/Beige
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 14:24   #19
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GolfTDI View Post
Hate to hijack the thread but quick ? on the Polar FIS because it looks amazing and is not too bad price.
Is this something the dealership may find during routine servicing? Would hate to jeopardize the dieselgate warranty. Also anyone install on a 2010-2014 Sportwagen - the video on the Kerma site is a different platform.
Thanks in advance and again apologies for the hijack.
It should have zero bearing on any warranty.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 23:53   #20
Wilkins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.6/5.6 - 5.3/6.7

I have one installed on a 2010 Wagon. The only difference in installation from the video on Kerman’s site that I can remember is taking the trim pieces off to get to the gateway is a bit different- well it’s basically a MK V as far as the interior trim goes. The FIS works on many different VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi, gas, diesel or hybrid. There are several pages of parameters which can be read but only about one page relates to TDI’s. The rest just won’t show anything, or can’t be selected

It’s highly unlikely the dealer would know the Polar was there and in any case it shouldn’t affect any Diesegate warranty. There is a connector which plugs in between an existing plug and the gateway and communicates with the FIS module. The FIS can be turned completely off in which case it is invisible to anyone driving the car. On a VCDS scan it shows up as an error, something to do with the phone not working, at least on my car which doesn’t have Bluetooth or a phone. If you had a warranty on your cluster, gateway or some other computer I can see a potential argument that the FIS affected the part but I am not aware of any such failures with or without the FIS. I’m pretty sure there are thousands in use around the world.
2005 Jetta Wagon: Evo skid plate, Kerma Tune, Moog VR6 front springs, Koni Reds, Jeff's HID's, Upgraded door switches!. MKVI: Containflo+Pureflo, Rear Tiggy springs and B6 Billies, Xenon w LED, AFS, 087T BCM
Wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote