Nozzles, clutch,and tune etc for ALH into a B5.5 4motion

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I'm going to be installing an ALH into a B5.5 4motion and I would like to add some power to push this car a little better on the freeway. I'm not looking for a race car just something that has no problem cruising at 80-90 mph.
I will most likely be using the 240mm Sachs SRE DMF clutch kit from Frans and a VNT 17 turbo from a BHW. With this setup what are the biggest nozzles I can run and what tune would compliment this? Any other basic upgrades to consider? I want it to look mostly stock.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I suggest you talk to a tuner as they will give you a better idea of what size nozzles would work best with their tune, as well as recommend the best exhaust options.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
If you're not looking at more than 175whp then use a standard 240mm clutch kit, don't bother with cost of SRE

Personally I'd suggest a bigger turbo, and also just use the much stronger PD engine that came in the B5.5

Choose a power target then the hardware will become clear :)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Pd130 intake manifold, ARL head studs, light porting on the intake/exhaust ports to match gaskets, double valve springs from AFN engine and takers to stop valve float and let’s you run higher boost, race 520 nozzles 5 hole type, bv43a turbo cartridge in bv43 housings off pd170 Bhp BRD/BRE engine, stock DMF and Sachs SRE organic clutch and SRE pressure plate, remap to suit and you will have a 200 Bhp ready setup. Add a 11mm injection pump as well and you will see the heavy Passat 4 motion move like a hot hatch ! Pd130 is nice but runs out of steam rather easily at 3500rpms, rotary pumped engines rev a lot higher and spread the torque nicely across the power band. If you can get a set of aftermarket rods from eBay, there are cheap h beam uprated rods for under 200 quid which come with aftermarket ARP hardware- good for peace of mind ! If you don’t want aftermarket rods then pd100/115 rods will drop right in but you will need the pd pistons as well to make them work- they are rather cheap in breakers !

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Put a BHW in there. You'll be starting out WAY ahead of the ALH, and it is already a longitudinal mounted engine. You cannot simply bolt an ALH engine in a B5, you'll need all the VE engine bits from a longitudinal car (not sold here) to make some sort of frankenstein engine, OR get an entire engine from Europe.

I can tell you that having owned or at least driven every version of B5/B5.5 Passat and Audi A4 ever sold here, the AWD makes a substantial hit it power. The B5 is already rather portly, and the AWD just compounds that plus the extra drag on the powertrain that is always there, whether it is actually being "used" or not. The independent rear suspension alone probably weighs twice what the FWD's twist beam does.

The BHW totally stock is plenty to get the job done, and with nothing more than a software change, will easily get into the 170hp range with small V8 levels of torque. Stock turbo, stock injectors, stock everything except a few lines of code in the ECU. 200k miles on my RC1 BHW and it runs fantastic and makes my ALHs (in much lighter cars bolted to manuals no less) feel downright poochy in comparison. :p

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
i have the 240mm SRE clutch in front of a TDI 01e and love it. It holds power and drives great. Dont know what kind of power the car makes, but it scoots and snarls pretty hard.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I'm in the same boat.

After committing to the 01E, I researched (at the time) the issues folks were having with clutches, syncros, ability to hold power etc.

I also went with the factory EU 240mm DMF and SRE setup. Aside from slightly higher pedal effort and a little chatter when new, the setup has been flawless for over 200,000 km for me.

Hearing about others going through issues with SMF solutions futher makes me think I made the right decision. I don't want to second-guess if that low speed pull or idling in a drivethru will be the last straw for one of my synchro rings.

That it more than holds the torque is just a bonus.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
I think I have changed my mind on this. I have a B5.5 sitting in the driveway that I bought for $1500 bucks with the transmission out due to a failed FX250 clutch. The car originally came from user KCTDI and he has confirmed it has a stage 2 malone tune. My plan was to get that car up and running but I think it will become a parts car for this project now. In this case I won't have to much modding or tuning except have Malone upgrade the ECU to run with a 6 speed. Might get a BV43 turbo if Frans will cut me a deal when I buy the 6speed driveline.

Put a BHW in there. You'll be starting out WAY ahead of the ALH, and it is already a longitudinal mounted engine. You cannot simply bolt an ALH engine in a B5, you'll need all the VE engine bits from a longitudinal car (not sold here) to make some sort of frankenstein engine, OR get an entire engine from Europe.
I can tell you that having owned or at least driven every version of B5/B5.5 Passat and Audi A4 ever sold here, the AWD makes a substantial hit it power. The B5 is already rather portly, and the AWD just compounds that plus the extra drag on the powertrain that is always there, whether it is actually being "used" or not. The independent rear suspension alone probably weighs twice what the FWD's twist beam does.
The BHW totally stock is plenty to get the job done, and with nothing more than a software change, will easily get into the 170hp range with small V8 levels of torque. Stock turbo, stock injectors, stock everything except a few lines of code in the ECU. 200k miles on my RC1 BHW and it runs fantastic and makes my ALHs (in much lighter cars bolted to manuals no less) feel downright poochy in comparison. :p

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
BUMP.

Going for a BHW ALH Hybrid. I’ve got an 11mm pump and bv43 turbo just need advice on complimentary nozzles and tune.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Go with some DLC1019'S and have Malone tune it. Not rocket science. Should be enough to get er going and have decent fuel eco.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Nope, go for tried and tested bosio race 520 the 5 hole flavor... They work great with a 11mm pump and a bv43 turbo ! The flywhell/prop bearing will rumble a bit on high gears/hard pulls ! Mid range and top end will be insane for a little diesel engine !