Dipstick Retrofit Failure

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Somewhere in one of the recent threads it was mentioned that you can add a dipstick for a 2010 TDI engine to later year TDI engines, that do not have dipsticks. I did, but although my dashboard says oil level is FULL, the oil does not even reach the very tip of the dipstick!!!

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Lots of threads about this on ClubTouareg, it sounds like the dipstick length is incorrect for the engine if retrofitted on later models.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Lots of threads about this on ClubTouareg, it sounds like the dipstick length is incorrect for the engine if retrofitted on later models.
Right. I posted there too. I specifically asked for one for a 2010 Touareg TDI.

When I cross reference the part number at this website, it says it does NOT fit the Touareg TDI, not 2011 & up, but not 2010 either! So I don't know what to think.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...k/059115611am/

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I didn't know they got rid of the dipstick on the V6. I guess after the V10 dipstick failures they tried to improve reliability? :p

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
How can a dipstick fail? The handle comes off?
The tip breaks off, and falls down into the casting on the engine block. If you get a new dipstick and put it in, it wedges against the broken piece and snaps that end off, too.

Later, they updated the design so the flexible cable goes all the way to the end.

-J

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
The tip breaks off, and falls down into the casting on the engine block. If you get a new dipstick and put it in, it wedges against the broken piece and snaps that end off, too.
Later, they updated the design so the flexible cable goes all the way to the end.
-J
Well I have a simple solution if I have the "old style"; simply slowly remove it w/o speed or force. Should not break then. Besides, I'll rarely use it - mainly rely on fancy display. :D