Power Steering seems hard?

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 2.0L
My girlfriend drives the car the most often so I hadn't had a chance to notice anything; however, she mentioned to me that the steering seems harder than normal. I just figured she was low on power steering fluid so I just brushed it off saying I'll check it out. I recently drove the jetta and realized that it does seem to be a bit harder than normal. After looking into it i found that i have an EPS system and there is no power steering fluid. That being said, I'm not sure what steps to take in order to find the solution to this issue, any information would be greatly appreciated.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Are there any indicator lights on in the instrument cluster? Has the battery been replaced recently or gotten low enough that a jump was needed?

My experience with these have been when taking the battery out to do other work the steering needs to go through an adaptation, and of not done the steering seems really hard, but not as hard as if the system is off. While the procedure is normally straight forward, once I couldn't get it to adapt for over 100 miles. Finally getting into the ABS and clearing out a fault allowed it. I don't think the steering wheel warning light was on, but the EPS error light was. Just sharing what I've seen and if you see any other lights. Do you have access to VCDS?

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI 2.0L
No warning lights of any kinds and not throwing any codes my Carista tool is picking up. No access to VCDS yet. Going to buy a cable soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk