Turning motor over by hand

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
On the earlier VWs when turning the motor over by hand the manual said use a socket on the crankshaft bolt because using a socket on the camshaft bolt could break the timing belt. Now on the TDI I've seen one manual say use a 19mm socket on the crank bolt and another manual say turn it over using the camshaft bolt. Which is it?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Crankshaft is preferred, well, at least by me.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Another "Safe" method to turn the engine over manually....is to jack up one of the front wheels...place the tranny into 5th gear...and then you can easly rotate the engine by turning the tire/wheel.

Frankenwagen

Veteran Member
I think it is a good idea to use the crankshaft bolt. The starter ultimately uses a part of the same axis.

This brings to mind my '99 Golf. The intercooler plumbing piping blocks any way of getting a wrench on it when it is installed. I noticed my '03 corrected this issue. When I did the timing belt on this car, I found out you had to remove the intercooler pipe to turn the engine with a wrench. How stupid is that?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
[ QUOTE ]
Herm TDI said:
Another "Safe" method to turn the engine over manually....is to jack up one of the front wheels...place the tranny into 5th gear...and then you can easly rotate the engine by turning the tire/wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have an automatic transmission.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Frankenwagen said:
The intercooler plumbing piping blocks any way of getting a wrench on it when it is installed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recommended tool: 12 point 19mm socket on a flex head socket wrench.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I didn't say flex socket. I said flex head socket wrench. Use a standard socket. Craftsman 44983 to be specific of an example.

tdidreams

TDI
03 alh wagon
so what do you think? siezed?
i had a runaway in the driveway in nuetrel. black smoke everywhere. I turned car off asv didnt stop it so I put it in 5th and let the clutch up. stopped dead. no loud metal sounds

after: checked oil, down 1/2 qrt. tried to start, just a click from the starter. so I took off hose to egr, good bit off oil in there so I am thinking it was running on the blowby.
I pulled glow plugs and tried to turn the cam shaft nut, but nothing moved. should it move?(I might have been in gear). after that put in 3rd gear and tried rocking the car with a straw down the highest set piston and I feel like it was moving a bit (hoping not seezed). since then I took the battery out and have been beating on the starter. any thoughts what to do next to see if its seezed? video in 5th gear trying to rotate by hand

https://youtu.be/pTS_LeRoTEA

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Rotate by the crank. Not by the cam.
If the glow plugs where removed and it wont rotate make sure it's out of gear lol.
Nearly a 20 year old thread. Worth starting your own thread and reading up. There have been a few runaways lately.
If you dodnt starve on oil then your probably fine as long as you get solid compression on all 4 once you can rotate it. Put the engine in TDC and verify all teeth are on the belt and everything aligns up.
Rotate by crank only. You can slip the cam sprocket if you dont. Or force it to skip teeth as it pulls slack from the tensioner. Either way the turbo is probably gone. It's possible you ingested a slug of oil and bent some rods.