Which Engine???

Stella04

TDI
Jetta
Hey All.
We've got an '04 jetta tdi. How do I determine Which Engine it has. I Know it was built in Late '04 having a Different engine than the models in Early '04. Looking to get/Try new/different glow plugs, see if it helps our Staring issues. Tia.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Word to the wise. Be careful not to snap them off. Happens all the time do a search for glow plugs and you will find quite a few threads recently about issues removing them. If you snap it off it can be a very expensive possibly total loss value to fix it if it leaks bad.
Soak them with 1:1 acetone and ATF for a few days after you shut it down before you attempt removal. And dont go hard at it. If they dont come out with light to medium light pressure then dont. Figure it out. It does not take much to snap them off

Stella04

TDI
Jetta
Word to the wise. Be careful not to snap them off. Happens all the time do a search for glow plugs and you will find quite a few threads recently about issues removing them. If you snap it off it can be a very expensive possibly total loss value to fix it if it leaks bad.
Soak them with 1:1 acetone and ATF for a few days after you shut it down before you attempt removal. And dont go hard at it. If they dont come out with light to medium light pressure then dont. Figure it out. It does not take much to snap them off
Oh Dam! Thanks for the heads up. Makes me Nervous now.
Would it Help if the engine is Warm vs Cold???

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Be aware that there were different glow plugs assigned depending on whether the car received an ECU flash to improve starting/breaking glow plug issues. You need to know this!

JETaah

TDI
Oh Dam! Thanks for the heads up. Makes me Nervous now.
Would it Help if the engine is Warm vs Cold???

Warm engine, ONLY! for me. :cool:
When the glow plugs have been stuck, the aforementioned lubricating elixir and patience along with warming the engine has worked. The head being aluminum will expand more than the steel glow plug and help to release it's hold.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
+1 on JETaah's advice. You need to know which version of glow plugs you have before attempting to replace.

It might bear asking: why are you replacing them in the first place?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
2 schools on this. Yes warmer is better like mentioned above but problem is it's also softer and the tensile strength of the glow plug is much less than it is when cold. Honestly this is a job that I would push off to a shop with full disclosure and marketing sure that if anything goes wrong it's on their bill. Not yours and pay with a major credit card. I hate shops but this can be a $100 glow plug job or a $1800 3 to 6 week job pulling the head if it goes wrong. That's DIY prices lol.
Check out our trusted mechanics by state thread. The risk is not worth the reward on this one for me.

JETaah

TDI
Yet another typical scenario for BEW hard starts is a faulty in-tank lift pump (fuel).
Stella04, did you even say that the glow plugs were stuck in the head?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Hey All.
We've got an '04 jetta tdi. How do I determine Which Engine it has. I Know it was built in Late '04 having a Different engine than the models in Early '04. Looking to get/Try new/different glow plugs, see if it helps our Staring issues. Tia.

Please describe the starting issues your'e having, along with any trouble codes in the cars ecu. Your glow plugs might not be the issue.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you do replace them I would revert back to the all steel ones instead of the ceramic tipped ones. You will have to replace more than just the plugs though to do this, plus a tune update. VW used to do this for free. I had it done on my 2005 Beetle just before selling it. It had to be trowing a code for them to do it and mine threw the code the day before the sell date. Got it in to the dealer and they did it for free the day of the sale. They reverted them back to steel.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is your check engine light ON? If so, get a scan; if not leave the GP's alone.

Stella04

TDI
Jetta
Yet another typical scenario for BEW hard starts is a faulty in-tank lift pump (fuel).
Stella04, did you even say that the glow plugs were stuck in the head?
No, not at all. It's been Less than cooperative trying to start when it's been Cold. To Me it Seems to turn over fine, i Do hear the the pick up pump kick on when I turn the key on. I figured New glow plugs couldn't hurt so was going to put new ones in. In light of some of the Warnings & Cautions I'll probably just take it in. Our import/diesel shop is Most Pricey ( as most are in sure) but would rather Not break one off.

Stella04

TDI
Jetta

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think this timed out some years ago but still worth a try. All they can do is say no. Might just clear some left over unused parts from the shelves. The steelies are much better/safer to have installed than the ceramic tipped ones. The old ones (steelies) are known for breaking off and being stuck in the head. The ceramic ones the same thing only they are also known for the ceramic tips breaking and falling into the cylinder. When you remove them you have to examine the tips to ensure they didn't break or chip and leave remnants in there.

Last edited:

JETaah

TDI
I think this timed out some years ago but still worth a try. All they can do is say no. Might just clear some left over unused parts from the shelves. The steelies are much better/safer to have installed than the ceramic tipped ones. The old ones (steelies) are known for breaking off and being stuck in the head. The ceramic ones the same thing only they are also known for the ceramic tips breaking and falling into the cylinder. When you remove them you have to examine the tips to ensure they didn't break or chip and leave remnants in there.

5 Volt steelies don't work well in COLD weather. That is why VW updated them to the NGK hybrid steel/ceramic 7 Volt with an ECU flash update.:cool: You can break the NGKs if you are careless but not like the original ceramic ones. I believe that problems occurred if you had a glow plug burn out and you were not quick about changing it out. Legend has it that soot would encroach the element and could not be burned off locking the element in the bore. Unscrew the glow plug body and PING!

I guess you could get by with the steelies in Texas.

Last edited:

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
In terms of glow plug removal, Frank06 recommends setting an accurate torque wrench to 30ft/lbs and using it to loosen the glow plug. This way you won't accidentally break the glow plug by going over 30ft/lbs of pressure. If you can't get it out straight away then just use MASSIVE amounts of patience and penetrating fluid, and stick with the torque wrench to keep from over doing it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Warm engine, ONLY! for me. :cool:
When the glow plugs have been stuck, the aforementioned lubricating elixir and patience along with warming the engine has worked. The head being aluminum will expand more than the steel glow plug and help to release it's hold.
2nd this. I broke mine off in the head when cold. couldn't get it out, $300 fix at local tdi shop. The owner said drive it till about full temp then pull them. my 3 others came out fine, so you could give a little force, but if its still not wanting to go then heat the engine! thing that sucks is if it does break off in there and you cant get it out you have to pull the head:eek:

Last edited: