ECU MPG trim? (car lies!)

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
I have a new to me '15 Golf TDI. It claims to report the instant, since start, since fuel, and extended period fuel economy.

But it lies, by a lot.

For instance, on my last fill it reported 49.4mpg, but the actual "miles driven divided by fuel used" method was 46.7mpg.

Yes, I know you really have to average over several tanks, but I've seen a similar effect over several tanks, so it's not just an under or over fill problem.

Is there a way to trim the in-dash reporting?

VCDS does freakin' everything else, so it seems like there should be a way, but I don't seem to be able to stuff the right stuff into teh goog to find anything.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
For our Alltrack I adjusted the cluster calculation to around 107% and it gives me within .3-.6 gallons (30.4 displayed for the tank now equals about 29.7 hand calculated) which I call good enough as I run larger tires.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
For our Alltrack I adjusted the cluster calculation to around 107% and it gives me within .3-.6 gallons (30.4 displayed for the tank now equals about 29.7 hand calculated) which I call good enough as I run larger tires.
Yup! 7% seems to be the magic number for me as well. :)