BHW Crank Position

JBjunior

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon/05 Passat Sedan/03 Jetta Wagon
Long story short I started a timing belt job a while ago and just got back to it today. I am using all metal nerd tools and putting everything back together. When re-installing the crank pulley I must have overtorqued and it slipped within the gear. I had to remove it the other way and I am unsure of how much it turned one way or another. The cam gear is still locked out so I don't think any damage was done but I am unsure. What is the best way to ensure TDC for #1 in my current position?

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
Remove the pulley and try to fit the crank lock back in. You don't need to remove the belt to check. If it fits you're fine. If it is close but won't go in, see if a light wiggle or pull on the TB will change the crank gear position enough to let it in. If it goes in this way you're good to go. You'll have to remove the timing belt and reinstall with the crank lock in place if it won't go in.

For future reference, it's a bad idea to put that level of force on a timing belt. This strain can cause you to skip time (as you did) or decrease the life of the belt (leading to engine failure). Counterhold the pulley with a tool instead. These are easy to make at home if you don't want to buy one.