2014 Q5 TDI Transmission Fluid/Filter

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Fellow compression addicts,

After a TON of research (you have to search hard for P/N's and compatibility--(BTW I think that's on purpose)) I figured I'd pass on some info/prices to change the fluid/filter in the 8 speed Triptronic transmission (0BK).

Found the best deal on GREEN ATF on EBAY. I got febi Bilstein Nr 39095 for just just under $19 a liter (9 required).

Found the best deal for the filter/gasket/hardware kit [FONT=verdana,arial]0BK-398-009-A-M103 [/FONT]at https://www.pelicanparts.com/ (I'm not affiliated with them at all). You have your choice of three different brands. Anyway, great prices and free shipping from Los Angeles, Ca. I'm in Las Vegas so it was delivered the next day.

Nothing on these German machines are cheap. I'm guessing if the Dealer did this it'd be $$$$. Hope this helps someone out there.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks,I usually do most of my maintenance but with these transmissions it my understanding that the fluid needs to go in at a certain temp for a accurate fill as there isn't a trans dipstick.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Av8R, did you get the fluid and filter change done? How many litres did the 8 speed need?
I read others used 6 to 7 litres.
Did you need 9 litres?

commedeschatons

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon 5mt, 2016 VW Touareg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, 2011 335d Msport, 2009 Q7 TDI
Av8R, did you get the fluid and filter change done? How many litres did the 8 speed need?
I read others used 6 to 7 litres.
Did you need 9 litres?
4-5L with a pan drop. You will not be able to get 9L out when doing a filter change, the kits that come with 9 will leave you

Ravenol 8HP is what i used, which is specifically approved for 8hp trans.

I would recommend others to use this or the ZF lifeguard fluid.

I tried Redline D6 ATF and it made the transmission act a little weird.

Last edited:

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
Thanks for info,
I'm going with the Ravenol 75W- 140 GL5 for Q5 transfer case, apparently VW ok at cost $25/ litre, it has a friction modifier.
Lifeguard 8 and the Melye transmission filter gasket kit for transmission.

av8r

TDI
Update. So, dropping the pan and changing out the filter I added just over 6 liters. Once I got the transmission to recommended temp (monitored via VCDS) I put the fill plug back in (it'll drain off excess as it gets to temp) the total added came to just over 5L. I now have three spare liters for next time. Now I need to find how to reset the trans memory so it will "learn" with the new fluid--I know I've seen it somewhere on the web.....

A7TDI

TDI
Audi A7
Update. So, dropping the pan and changing out the filter I added just over 6 liters. Once I got the transmission to recommended temp (monitored via VCDS) I put the fill plug back in (it'll drain off excess as it gets to temp) the total added came to just over 5L. I now have three spare liters for next time. Now I need to find how to reset the trans memory so it will "learn" with the new fluid--I know I've seen it somewhere on the web.....

I don't know of any such reset.

A1sailor

TDI
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0
My transmission fluid & filter was just changed, about 5.1 litres was needed. So there seems to be consensus that purchasing 6 litres is the correct amount for the 8 speed.

The filter did not have very much material on the magnets or in the pan The original filter was supplied by IBS FILTRAN, GERMANY, I used the Meyle kit and also purchased a new drain plug as well.

I also had the fron &, rear differential fluid changed along with the transfer case fluid, the original front differential fluid was much darker than the rear differential fluid, not sure why, heat from that area maybe.

ColoradoOffGrid

TDI
2014 Q5 TDi
Yesterday I could not find Ravenol where we live. O'Reilley Auto Parts' website shows the Valvoline Synthetic AT fluid as a match. Now I just need to find the service fill point. Anyone here have experience with Valvoline AT fluid? ( And Ravenol found on Amazon will take a week+ to arrive )

ColoradoOffGrid

TDI
2014 Q5 TDi
You want to get the correct ZF type fluid.
After seeing your link and calling, you were such a pro.
To follow up on this, I remembered my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee also had a "German 8-speed" transmission and went to the local Mopar shop parts department. We looked up the transmission and sure enough it's the ZF 8-speed so I bought MOPAR Part #68218925AB 8&9 Speed ATF.

Serviced, and seems to be the same weight, smell and color. It also works like a champ.

THANK YOU again!

av8r

TDI
Second Trans and filter change today (75K)-- still a pita. 5 litres on this one. I notice there is much more info out there now on this topic. YouTube etc.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Figured I would add my experiance on a Q7 with the same transmission, took about 6 doing a pan drop and filter change, used amsoil and highly recommend it, I can just barely notice a difference. For the slight upcharge, or dealer price, I would trust amsoil over anything else.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Figured I would add my experiance on a Q7 with the same transmission, took about 6 doing a pan drop and filter change, used amsoil and highly recommend it, I can just barely notice a difference. For the slight upcharge, or dealer price, I would trust amsoil over anything else.
Q7 has the Aisin doesn't it? Q5 should have the ZF

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The Q7 has an entirely different transmission than the Q5, and is an entirely different platform vehicle. They share hardly anything.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Did not realize that, thank you for the correction and information! I had assumed being the same engine and gear count that they were the same.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not even technically the same engine. Different engine codes, although they are mostly the same basic family depending on the year.

All the Q5s got the CPNB engine code, but they only sold those here 2013-16. The Q7s went from the CATA engine in 2009 and ended up with the CNRB engine in the later years, and those two engines are very different from one another. The change in engines was also the change from the 6sp Aisin box to the 8sp, and the change from the old fashioned high-low transfer case (like an F150) to the fixed ratio AWD box. In either case, it is arranged like an old school "truck", with a longitudinal transmission, a bolted on transfer case, and two separate prop shafts one to the front differential and one to the rear.

The Q5 is like a car, it uses a transaxle by ZF, FWD biased, with an internal shaft through a built-in tube in the transaxle assembly to the differential that is housed in the bellhousing between the planetary parts of the transmission and the engine. The Torsen type AWD is in the snout going to the rear differential. It is literally set up and shares parts with the other longitudinal Audi cars of the era (A4, A5, A6, etc.). Probably most similar to the A4 Allroad (which is a lifted A4 Avant with fender flares and some trim changes... like the difference between an old Subaru Legacy and a Legacy Outback, before the Outback became its own model).

The later (current) Q7, which is not available here with a diesel, also got switched to the car type arrangement. The Cayenne is still a Cayenne, and the Touareg is gone replaced with the Atlas for us... which is just sort of a big, bloated Golf.

Porsche also reskins and rebadges the current Q5 and calls it the Macan. But again, no diesel for us.