Sirius Radio poor reception

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had my TDI since February. My reception with Sirius radio is lousy---may be good for several minutes and then, momentarily cuts out and then comes back again. In addition, the sound is that of an old turntable with poor "wow and flutter" ratings. Anyone else with this? Is this the radio or the dang Sirius broadcasting?:mad:

Karl

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Because the signal comes from a satellite, sky obstructions, such as tree cover, can cause drop outs. I don't know about the "wow and flutter".

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah...I know going under trees, into tunnels, etc can (and do!) cut the signal but, this happens in the clear for some reason. I'm not sure if I should approach Sirius---gotta have a day or so free time to get them frm my past experience--or try VW.....:confused:

Karl

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Turbine Suburban said:
What antenna are you using?

The mico dot antennas are only good for a year or two.
Sounds like it's a factory Sirius install.

The microdot antennas last a long time if you mount it inside the dash attached to the metal crashbar. :D

karlthev - What kind of environment are you in? I have very few dropouts with my setup. Does your radio have a signal strength indicator menu someplace? My radio provides satellite & terrestrial strengths.

Bob

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
It's the stock '09 VW "stubby" antenna and the standard radio with no signal strength indicators as I am aware of. Location in NE Pennsylvania--not exactly a major urban area but not the jungle either....:p

Karl

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Hey Karl,

I would guess it's an issue with the radio or Sirius module. It's still under warranty.... Make the dealer fix it. Maybe a bad antenna or bad grounding?

I believe the regular radios have pretty limited communication with the satellite radio module. Might be tough on your own to get diagnostic info thru the radio or vagcom. It would be interesting to know if your getting the signal from the satellite or a ground repeater.

Bob

karlthev

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll start the process of more research i guess. I'll wager that Sirius will state it's a radio problem and VW will want to point the finger at the Sirius signal weakness---but I may be "jumping the gun". Oh I long for my old 8-tracks! HA!

Karl

bottlediger

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I have the same problem and I just deal with it I guess, I sure would like to get more crisp sound though. I was driving through pittsburgh the other day and one of the stinkin FM channels sounded so good and clear!