General Question"

S

SkyPup

Re: General Question\"

be sure to take it out on the interstate to see how easy it is to keep up with and pass traffic at speed up to 85mph. I had first thought it would be a dog, but it ain't. Also notice how smooth the car is, the noise vibration and harshness of the TDI is non-existant, something no other diesel can say

sljkr

Veteran Member

Also, drive the TDI followed directly by the 2.0 gasser...notice the lower rpm's at highway speeds along with less cabin noise in the TDI---and imagine not stopping for gas for another 600+ miles!!!

------------------
99 Silver NB TDI

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.

It is very difficult to find a used TDI. Why?, because there are so many satisfied customers!

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Everyone should believe in something...
I believe I'll have another beer!

1998 Jetta TDI Sport

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI

first of all, if you have never owned a VW before you may not undestand all the advantages to owning one.
everyone else that drives a VW is like family.
the quality for the price is un-matched
resale on a TDI is awesome (not many people sell em')
TDI, almost 700 miles on a tank.
AND, you could be just like us man.
OR, you could just go to the fest in september

if you would like, i could cruise down some weekend and we could go tooling around in mine. make sure you check at both van dyn hoven and Broad way in Green Bay. van dyn has had some bad raps and i still am leary about there practices, the sales guys are jerks too. i am a driver for broadway (nothing to do with liking or disliking either dealer!!)
call Brad Terrell at 800.498.0585 and tell him that i sent you, i have known the man for years and he is the best sales man around (held my silver TDI [very hard to get one] for 3 weeks while i sold my 99 NB).
also when your VW is outta warrantee bring it to Steve's Imports in Kaukauna. he knows VW's better than anyone and is way too honest about stuff. He always tells me not to buy these old Audi's that i have, but he always works on them and does only what is needed.

e-mail me if ya wanna drive mine or any other q's

garrett P.

------------------
2000 JEDI TDI
Sub-Commander of the Epsilonian Contingent Nothern Hemisphere: Earth

Deacon

With all the pushing from you people, I took a test drive in an auto GL TDI. God, I like that car. Dealer found a 2000 in the pipe line that fit our requirements (5spd/black/GLS), according to the printout it should be here in the next two weeks. This should be an interesting ride. Thanks for the push.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI

DON'T DO IT! If you do, you will find yourself driving too much, you will stop listening to the radio to listen to your turbo-diesel and you will end up visiting this website EVERY DAY! Save yourself, while you still can!

M

mickey

I have to admit, I doubt that my TDI saved me a dime in fuel costs during the first 6 months. I used to get home from my 63 mile afternoon commute, pee, grab a sandwich, and head back out on the road! I put over 15,000 EXTRA miles on the car in the first year, beyond my normal 126 mile per day commute!

-mickey

p.s. Now I do the same thing to my poor old Mercedes. 10,000 miles in completely frivolous driving since March!

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited August 18, 2000).]

Jimmy

Veteran Member

Probably the most common activity you do is travel from place to place. Since the water/hydrogen/atomic engine still has a few teething problems, you would benefit if your mode of transportation cost as little as possible to operate.

You will be estatic to learn that you can travel in such a vehicle, in style, and with good performance. It can cross the U.S. from east to west with perhaps only 3 or 4 stops for fuel (someone correct me if I am wrong). You will have a vehicle whose fuel economy alone is a tremendous reason why you would hang on to it, and make you want to use and look after it for a long time. A car that truly delivers the goods!

chopchop

Top Post Dawg

Deacon -

I tried the automatic and found it excellent, but noticeably noisier around town (where lots of gearchanges are involved) than the manual. The reason for this is not that the engine is actually any noisier, but that the auto box tends to hold on to the revs, ie change up at higher revs, more than you would in the manual, once you're used to the massive low-down torque of the TDi engine.
The auto will probably also use 10-15% more fuel. My own feeling is that if you go for the auto, you're missing out on some of the advantages of the TDi, but if you are set on an auto, don't be put off by any of my comments - it's a lovely autobox!