New timing belt and glow plug stripped

TDIwestfalia

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH TDI Syncro camper
I just replaced my timing belt yesterday. (98 A3 AHU). I have Vag-com but I am not exactly sure how to check to see if the timing is in spec. It runs great but I want to double check it. I am driving 14 hours to Vermont Wednesday morning to go catch up with the storm so I'd like to look into this before then.

Also, I replaced all 4 glow plugs as one was throwing a CEL. I tightened them with a T-handle to make sure I wasnt stripping them. The far left (passenger side) plug is quite stripped and could be turned with the T-handle without much effort( looks as if previous owners mechanic was a hack job). I have put about 100 miles on the car since installation but I'm a bit worried about it. Is it necessary to remove the head to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Dave

AntonLargiader

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '03 Jetta wagon
Ginster17 said:
I just replaced my timing belt yesterday. (98 A3 AHU). I have Vag-com but I am not exactly sure how to check to see if the timing is in spec.
Do you have a registered version? If so, VAG-COM now has a graph function that will show you where your timing is. So easy.

If you're not registered, there's a measuring block that shows how much the ECU has to adjust the pump to achieve the desired start of injection. You can adjust the pump to minimize that value; that will put you right in the middle of the proper range. I forget the block name, though... :eek:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Look at blocks 2 and 9 in field 00, basic settings. One number fuel temp, the othe timing. Aim for the timing in the 50-50 range.

If the glow plug is holding, and you're not leaking big compresison, don't dink with it. It can be helicoiled in place if you're very careful about the shavings.

TDIwestfalia

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH TDI Syncro camper
I do have a registered version of Vag-com. Fully warmed up I am showing 23-24 and 194 in blocks 2 and 9 respectively.

TDIwestfalia

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH TDI Syncro camper
My Bentley came a few days ago. Unfortunately its only a 97 and earlier version and does not include any info on the TDI engines. Is this within specs? Thanks for the help

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Nope, timing is pretty retarded. Take block 2 up to 55-60 by adjusting the pump. Push pump toward rear of car to do so.

Last edited: