2004/2005 Passat 2.0TDI Software flash

Konig

Last edited:

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
so here two inevitable questions: what would happen for those who have their car chipped, and what would happen for those who have recoded the tranny to 1134/sports mode?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Recoding the trans is easy to fix, but rocket chip may be a problem. An email to Jeff may be order.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Konig said:
Hello everyone,

There is a Technical Bulletin released this week that contains an ECM software flash for the 2.0TDI PD in the Passat.

I dont have a TB number but will get it by Friday.

Konig
Where did you get this info?

I'm skeptical that VW of A would do something like this so late in the game unless they are retuning for ULSD.

Either way, I wouldn't want them flashing my vehicle. For all we know, this is a fix to increase EGR for emmissions!!!

It would probably be a good idea to give someone like Jeff at RC a chance to look at any updated maps before committing to a reflash.

So one of you guys will need to go first.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Let's not all flood Jeff with emails. Has anybody sent this to him for his input?

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I stopped by the dealership today and had them check for an ecu reflash recall or tsb. I watched the service writer do a lookup and he didn't find anything in the system.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS

NHTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328D Xdrive
Guys,
I use the NHTSA official website for TSB's and recall info. The have a great search feature. Just enter in year, make, model, etc
There was NO TSB as of Sunday concerning a software reflash.
The latest TSB was for vibrating headlights.
( That was one of my past complaints at the dealer. At the time there wasn't a TSB so the dealer gave me the usual "it's operating normally". right)

Here is the link.http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Nice link, Jeff. Thanks.

Now that we know what TSBs exist, is there any place we can get a copy of the actual bulletin without buying from the NHTSA or hassling with the dealer?

DeannsHouse

TDI
2004 B5.5 Passat 2.0L TDI
FOUND IT! Don't look under "all" passats - look under:

Tricky search feature, that! I looked under "all" passats and found nothing. Knowing our previous poster wouldn't inflame us all for giggles, I decided to check under the 'passenger car' or some such option - the only other option available, and lo and behold up they flew! For your assiduous perusal: Report Date : August 6, 2006 at 10:45 AM SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE YEAR : 2004 Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Type : PASSENGER CAR (*remember, if you look under "all", you won't find a one of these!): Results : 7 | All records displayed Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 0505 Date of Bulletin: NOV 07, 2005 NHTSA Item Number: 10018452 Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS Summary: VEHICLES MAY DISPLAY VIBRATION OF THE HEADLIGHT DUE TO CLEARANCE BETWEEN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY AND FRONT FACIA - EXCLUDING NEW PASSAT. *NM Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 0517 Date of Bulletin: JUL 14, 2005 NHTSA Item Number: 10016037 Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:CONTROL UNIT/MODULE Summary: ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) CONTROL MODULE WARRANTY REPAIR PROCESS. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : VC Date of Bulletin: MAY 01, 2005 NHTSA Item Number: 10015584 Component: EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELS Summary: INSTALL MERCURY LABEL ON VEHICLES REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF VERMONT, MAINE AND CONNECTICUT - ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE ACTION CIRCULAR. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 0502 Date of Bulletin: JAN 14, 2005 NHTSA Item Number: 10012457 Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM Summary: DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1603 (18011) STORED IN DTC MEMORY. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 004 Date of Bulletin: NOV 09, 2004 NHTSA Item Number: 10011567 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING Summary: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE (ECT) SENSOR. *TC Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 0419 Date of Bulletin: OCT 27, 2004 NHTSA Item Number: 10010537 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:EMISSION CONTROL Summary: UPDATE PROGRAMMING - EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS (EVAP) SELF-TEST REVISION. *TT Check to Request Research. Submit below. Make : VOLKSWAGEN Model : PASSAT Year : 2004 Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC Service Bulletin Num : 0403 Date of Bulletin: OCT 01, 2004 NHTSA Item Number: 10010539 Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Summary: VALVE COVER, DIAGNOSING OIL LEAKAGE FROM GASKETS. *TT ************************************************* NOW I *am* wondering if the fix is just for emissions (ULSD intro) or what. BTW: Anyone know the process for upgrading my AT to 1134 sports mode? After I take my '04 in for these TSB's I'd like to do it! Deann ********

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
did you forget to copy part of this over, b/c what you have here does not mention an ecu flash or recode.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
daedalus said:
Nice link, Jeff. Thanks.

Now that we know what TSBs exist, is there any place we can get a copy of the actual bulletin without buying from the NHTSA or hassling with the dealer?
VW gets upset w/ bulletins posted in open forums.

But so others will have some links...

You can search here:
http://www.vw.ddsltd.com/
but you will have to pay for an actual copy.

NHTSA site tsb
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

NHTSA site recalls
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

but you won't get a full copy.

bigEZ said:
did you forget to copy part of this over, b/c what you have here does not mention an ecu flash or recode.
After doing a search at the above links, I did not see one that mentioned a flash or recall.

Reformatting from the above post for easy reading, the most recent tsb is for headlights:
Make : VOLKSWAGEN
Model : PASSAT
Year : 2005
Manufacturer : VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC
Service Bulletin Num : 0505
Date of Bulletin: NOV 07, 2005
NHTSA Item Number: 10018452
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Summary:VEHICLES MAY DISPLAY VIBRATION OF THE HEADLIGHT DUE
TO CLEARANCE BETWEEN HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY AND FRONT FACIA
- EXCLUDING NEW PASSAT. *NM
Also, notice that none of these bulletins apply to to only TDI/diesels.

When I spoke w/ the service writer, he thought that an ECU reflash would be an "emmissions thing" and would be a recall instead of a TSB. I would tend to agree. Wouldn't VWofA be looking at possible problems in the future if they reflashed an ECU w/ out clearing it w/ the EPA?

DeannsHouse said:
BTW: Anyone know the process for upgrading my AT to 1134 sports mode?
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116118&highlight=sport

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
They can't change emission settings just because...
Our cars met the standard for our years, no adjustment required. ULSD should be nothing but goodness for our 2.0's, when it comes out the pumps.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
abctdi said:
They can't change emission settings just because...
Our cars met the standard for our years, no adjustment required. ULSD should be nothing but goodness for our 2.0's, when it comes out the pumps.
I've had recalls done on previous vehicles during the early 90's to meet epa standards.

However, VW can't just change emmision equiptmnet on our vehicles w/ out EPA approval. What do you think the EPA would do if VW flashed our ECUs to disable EGR and run leaner?

Kitcito

TDI
Passat, 2005, Reflex Silver
Konig,

I've been serching the Links given for TSB's as well as Recalls under number 2012686 and It just comes up blank. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be greatful.

jdelscott

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d
I'm sick of these Continental tires. Done. Three flats in three weeks (all different tires). Two split sidewalls and one nail.

Has anyone seen the Goodyear Response Edge tires yet? Carbonfiber in the side wall and Kelar in the tread. I'm wondering if the premium price would be worth it on this car. I didn't buy this car to race afterall.

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
Software flash is on it's way to the dealers (so the rumor has it). Last checked, it's not available yet though.

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
Got the Passat reflashed today. I gotta peek at the TSB too:

Update Programming To Eliminate the Possibility of a Slight Hesitation
Update Programming to address concerns of slight hesitation.
01 06 09 August 1, 2006, 2012686

The calibration strategy for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system can lead to a condition which results in
intermittent hesitation.

I would imagine most dealers should have it by now, thought it might not be known to all at the dealership that they have it;)

06JettaTDIdsg

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
TDI2some said:
Got the Passat reflashed today. I gotta peek at the TSB too:

Update Programming To Eliminate the Possibility of a Slight Hesitation
Update Programming to address concerns of slight hesitation.
01 06 09 August 1, 2006, 2012686

The calibration strategy for the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system can lead to a condition which results in
intermittent hesitation.

I would imagine most dealers should have it by now, thought it might not be known to all at the dealership that they have it;)
Does the car still exhibit the hesitation after the reflash? I am curious because I would like to address this in my wife's passat tdi.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
if someone out there gets a copy of tsb, can you please post it? my dealership is so stupid that i have to tell them when vw issues anything.

also, still wondering if this would affect the 1134 recode, and if that would need to be redone. i know it's easy to do, but i don't have any vagcom people i know of around here right now. for those in the know, is an ecu flash like a global thing which affects all parts of the computer's brain, or can it be localized and just affect part of it? for example, is it possible for vw to just adjust the part of the ecu that deals with the egr without touching the part that affects the tranny shifting strategy?

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
bigEZ said:
also, still wondering if this would affect the 1134 recode, and if that would need to be redone. i know it's easy to do, but i don't have any vagcom people i know of around here right now. for those in the know, is an ecu flash like a global thing which affects all parts of the computer's brain, or can it be localized and just affect part of it? for example, is it possible for vw to just adjust the part of the ecu that deals with the egr without touching the part that affects the tranny shifting strategy?
The tranny recode is for the TCU(Transmission Control Module). It should not effect the ECU soft coding. Two different control modules.

Last edited:

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
tdireader said:
The tranny recode is for the TCU(Transmission Control Module). It should not effect the ECU soft coding. Two different control modules.
gotcha. excuse the ignorance; still learning this stuff.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
06JettaTDIdsg said:
Does the car still exhibit the hesitation after the reflash? I am curious because I would like to address this in my wife's passat tdi.
Exactly my question too!

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure if the hesitation/stumble is still there as my wife has the car today :confused: . It did feel slightly more responsive when I drove it home last night, but that could have just been my head screwing with me. I will check if the 1134 is still coded. Not sure why the reflash would have changed that. I will report back.