Rear Axle Beam Bushings

tdiflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI. Gone to the kids but still maintaining: 2002 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS
From the noise when I hit a bump and the amount of movement when I kick the wheel, it appears at least one of the axle beam bushings on my Jetta ('00, 145K km) needs replacing. Bentley has very little detail on this, other than attach bolt torques and how to make sure the bushing is properly aligned. Anybody have experience they can share? Is it possible to do this without removing the entire axle beam assembly? Special tools required?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The bushings are not sold separately from the axle beam.

However, there are replaceable rubber mountings for the stabiliser part of the rear axle. Check them for being worn out.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Also, I seem to remember that some cars have replaceable bushings in the beam, and some do not. If your car does not have the replaceable bushings, you'll have to purchase a whole new beam.

tdiflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI. Gone to the kids but still maintaining: 2002 Jetta GLS, 2003 Jetta GLS
According to Bentley, the "hydraulic" type bushings can't be replaced and you have to change the whole axle beam. They show a vibration damper on axle beams that have this type of bushing, and it looks like I don't have that. I called the dealer and they quoted me a price for the bushings I described. If we're talking about the same part, it must be replaceable. They also said there was only one part number shown in their listing.