T100 VW tdi build project

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I am buying soon(within the next week) a 1994 T100/([pre tacoma) that has a shot motor... head gasket cracked on it. I will be ripping out the motor and putting a VW Jetta TDI 1.9 L turbodiesel motor into it. I planning to do it as my hobby car to tinker on. I'm getting it for a really good price..

the immediate plan is first to rip out the old motor... and junk it for scrap....

then

Replace

Shocks (better shocks and suspension components), upgraded brakes,new fuel lines, drop the fuel tank and clean out any gasoline residue in the tank, rip out the stock gas filler neck and find off ebay a diesel fuel filler neck with the wider diesel truck pump neck and get a diesel fuel cap for inside the fuel door... Mount the Diesel fuel filler neck in place of the stock one.

leave tank aside until I install the engine sometime next spring.....

Replace all brake lines with steel cables, replace two rusted fender panels with 2 new primered body panels (that will be panted at a later stage once the project is finished)

Replace all Wheel bearings, bushings, control arms, etc....

Install a stage 5 clutch kit and basically rebuild the transmission and make sure everything is fine with the transmission...

Other things, i am still researching, but I am also going to be adding a VW specific OBD port under the dash to hook up to the ECU computer so I can pull engine codes in the future and so I can tune the engine with the aftermarket MALONE tuning that is out there for the VW engines.

Next spring, after i get my taxes back, i will be looking for an insurance write-off wrecked salvage VW JETTA TDI 1997-2005 year model with the VE-Injection TDI engine. (Ahu,ALH or maybe BEW engine code)
I will use that salvage car wreck to pull wire harnesses, fuel pumps, engine, turbo (to resell),and any other parts I will need from that car to go into this project. I will also take the Jettas fuel tank with and use that as an aux tank in the truck. So I will have to get additional fuel pumps to put in both this tank and the t100's tank., I will set up one tank as a master and the other as an aux. tank that I can switch between.

Once I get all the parts and goodies i need out of the wrecked jetta, i'll haul it off to get scrap money for it (with a relatives truck)

I will then get the engine ready for install and put a stage 2 turbo on it, (a larger VW specific turbo) a Garret VNT 17/22.. the stock turbo is a bit smaller. I will then have the engine tuned to either a Stage 4 or stage 5 tune. I will also install better injectors and a 3 BAR Map sensor.

planning to shoot for 170 hp

I am also going to make it so I could run straight vegetable oil if I wanted to as well or run B5-B100 biodiesel.

I also will be taking the entire muffler/cat convertor out and putting in a High Performance Diesel CAT for all VW TDI's (2.5 or 3 inch) Magnaflow/easter catalytic.
I will then install a dual semi truck style exhaust coming up through the bed.

also, as i am an amsoil dealer.. I will be putting nothing but amsoil in the truck for fluids, Engine oil, severe gear oils, transfer case oils, clutch fluid, brake fluid... and coolant...

has 216,000 miles... dead engine with cracked head...he wants 350..but willing to negotiate.. I'm going to try for 200 cuz.. 1. I got to rent a uhaul trailer and borrow my gf's brother in laws truck and pull it about 40 miles to a 100 miles depending on where I'm going to leave it sit until I get some parts together and start working on it... (relatives letting me keep there and work on it cuz I can't work on stuff at my apartment) <--I might be moving soon so then I'l have a garage to work on it.

It's been a idea in my head for a while now...just hoping the pieces fall into place to make this happen

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Sounds good, a T100 is a good idea. Not sure about the stacks though.
SVO ends up causing more trouble than it's worth, do a little research and see if it's something you want to deal with. Keep this thread updated, need a good fresh Toyota build here.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
i wouldnt run it on svo though.. looking more for being able to run B5-B20 if need be... Or just straight pump diesel.

also, i will keep it updated.

I plan to do things in stages.. in no real rush to get it done.. but hoping to get it done by maybe Nov. 2016 is my plan.. maybe a little latter..

I plan to do things in stages.... rework/refresh everything from the ground up

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
BUMP

Ive been wanting to get a smaller hand gun for my daily conceal carry pistol... found out the guy is a rather big outdoors guy and also a conceal carry person... I've ended up offering him my pistol for the truck so i can go get a smaller handgun.. he took the offer so once i get back from my road trip down to georgia.. this project is gonna move forward... with no real $$ changing hand... nice barter eh :)

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
look at jimbote's build thread man he know's a lot about these things and is truly a very knowledgable guy

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
i live about 2 hours south-ish of you and have a number of the things you listed as wanting from a wrecked jetta. the harness is still in the rolling shell and the motor is in the shop on a shelf but needs to be gone over thoroughly. if you wanna take a look at what i have in the spare parts bins let me know.

i plan on doing an M-tdi truck (likely a toyota but not set in stone) in the next year or two as well but my goal is NO electronics besides the aftermarket radio. no a/c. no power steering. manual windows and locks. keyless ignition switches, tractor style, with no column lock... ETC ETC ETC...

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
i know right where waupaca is....that is if ur in that area.. i go down to Fremont/Weyauwega area with my girlfriends family when they go fishing and we got along to hang out....

What about the ECU for the engine ... what year is the jetta out of........

i want to keep electronics or add what i can... i want to have cruise control.... and a/c at least...... and power steering

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, i live in waupaca, and ECU is from my 1998 jetta that i wrecked.

the ECU is currently in use on my 1996 Passat but if you wanted the harness/ECU set i would just go get myself the proper GQ ECU for the Passat.

I was probably going to do that eventually anyway because the jetta's JB ECU is functional but not 100% compatible with the 1996 Passat. Check engine light doesn't work due to slight wiring differences.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
i put the engine from the 1998 jetta that i wrecked into the 1996 passat im driving now.

the engine i pulled out of the passat is sitting in my shop. i think the engine is complete but we would have to double check, but i have robbed a few bits off the TDI trans that it is still bolted to.

The engine had 350k on it and i have never seen it run. when i bought it, the timing belt was off, removed by PO - not broken. That is why i say it needs to be gone through to ensure its all good, plus at 350k its a good idea to do some refreshing while the engine is out of the car.

you are welcome to pull the head and inspect for damage to head and cylinder bores. i obviously don't want to sell an un-fixable motor but if you are shooting for 170hp you are gonna wanna go over any used motor before upgrading it.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI

Here it is.. went out and looked at it where its sitting at the guys work.. Going to be picking it up within a month. Currently in the process of packing up and moving from where I'm living now into a place that has a garage that I could work on this in. Will start on some repairs sometime in August.

First things on the agenda so far is:

1. Rip out and replace stock carpeting with new carpeting from :
http://www.varkmotors.com/1994-TOYO...PASSENGER-AREA-WITH-2-LID-COVERS_p_84880.html

2. Drop fuel tank and clean out tank.

3. Rip out fuel line and replace.

4. Either get rust spots in the Bed patched up with spot welded metal sheets, then roll/brush on the waterproof bedliner after spraying the metal sheeting with undercoating on underside and the top side with rustoleum enamel in black, and then put an aftermarket liner over the top..
or
plan b is going to a local pick a part and salvaging a bed off a 1993 they have.. its the same color even.. and no rust.. but i wont be able to get around to getting possibly because they might be crushing that truck within a couple weeks, since I dont have a place to put it until i move to the new apartment at the end of July.

5. Rip out stock motor and sell to guy at work or try craigslist for more $$

6. New suspension components, then probably done for the winter..... which give me time to amass more parts more specifically related to the TDI portion of the build.

Once the ball gets rolling, I will be sure to document things as i go.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
its from a 1996 passat so its a 1Z. some slight differences from AHU. such as turbo oil feed from the head instead of from the filter mount.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I'm not a big fan of flat beds, it's rare that I see one that I think looks good. With that being said, I have one that I got because my bed was shot and they are impossible to find if you live in the rust belt. What kind of shape is your bed in?

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just came across an idea on another forum where a guy swapped an om617 into a yota pickup..from his rig setup I got the idea of making a small maybe 1 -2 liter size surge tank mounted in the engine bay... have the stock yota fuel pump feeding towards the surge tank in line with the fuel rails. Then the stock vw lift pump would be rigged just after the surge tank feeding towards the engine.

ToyotaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 4Runner AHU
No need for a surge tank on something like this, unless you plan on doing some track days with the truck? :D

No lift pump is ever required up to 130whp or so, after some tuning and nozzles you can install a low pressure high flow pump it helps the IP out.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
ah well i plan on doing malone stage 3 custom tune after i got a track on the data logging for stage 3 tune.. so hopefully 150-160 ish horsepower...

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
just curious, would a 4x6 give me more than enough tire clearance, or would 6x6 be better.. this is for the cross beam support for the 8foot deckboards that would make up the flatbed

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
that is not a T100 ....it's just a regular mini truck ... T100 was toyotas initial release of a full/midsize truck ...it has very different body lines than the truck you have pictured

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
its actually the (hilux) pickup.. i know its not a t100 its right before they switched from calling it a pickup to the t100
pre-tundra also..

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
t100.. pickup... both look the same.. i appologize for the wrong title.. before I looked at it and had more info, I thought it was a t100.. turned out it was the model prior to it

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
t100.. pickup... both look the same.. i appologize for the wrong title.. before I looked at it and had more info, I thought it was a t100.. turned out it was the model prior to it
Yeah, it's just the 'pickup' that was badged hilux everywhere but in the US. The T100 is actually a larger truck, closer to the early Dakota in size.

I was going to say, that looks an awful lot like my 93 3.0V6 1 Ton that I owned for a while.

I think you'll have better luck finding body parts for the truck you have versus the T100, I just don't see a lot of those T100's around...at all.

Thanks for the pics

Steve

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
planning to put in a stage 2+ or stage 3 HD clutch in the toyota W56 tranny to cope with high torque.

I'm taking off the bad rusty bed and putting a wooden flatbed with fold down sides and fold down tailgate.

Planning to do a 2.5 or 3 inch downpipe.. to 3 inch tdi specific diesel highflow cat, then short section of 3 inch pipe.. then a 3'' to 4'' restrictor and then 4 inch straight pipe straight back from there... or see about how it comes out under the truck where I have to route the piping.... might need to have it route around stuff.. Probably will put exhaust wrap around it, but that's just a thought

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Ok so now having gotten this idea, I am going to put in a Volvo 740 Intercooler,radiator and cooling fan.. because The radiator has a built in temp sensor to control the fan, simplifies the install because you only have to hook up a power and a ground and not have to deal with the Toyota or VW fan circuit.

also hello MODS..

can you please change the title from T100.... to 1994 Toyota Pickup VW tdi build project