8V TDI common rail - interested?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Something I have gathered from another thread, BKD timing belt is the right length for an ALH, you could run PD cam gears on the cam and HPFP as well as a PD crank gear and PD rollers. I believe it was a 300hp thread this was brought up.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Pete, I am not saying that there will be NO torque and pressure fluctuations. But you have a long history of hyperbole on things that fall rather short of being cataclysmic.

Source: Richard van Basshuysen and Fred Schäfer (ed.). Internal Combustion Engine Handbook - Basics, Components, Systems, and Perspectives. SAE International 2004.

In the above, the drive torque and pressure fluctuations are plotted. In the worst case, the torque fluctuation is about 15Nm peak-to-peak. All intermittent pumps and reciprocating devices are going to exhibit this behavior, and there is a simple solution for this: You put an inertial weight, like a flywheel sprocket. :rolleyes:

With regard to pressure fluctuations, the worst case amounts to about +/- 0.01 kbar or 10 bar. With the mean at 1500 bar, that's 0.67%. Not the magnitude that will make a lick of discernable difference (especially when we're not only talking about one injection event but rather more commonly now up to 7 per cylinder per cycle over a wide span of crank angle). :rolleyes:

And this data is on FIE that's at least 8 years old, based on the date of the book. There have been improvements made in succeeding generations.

Like I said, Pete, you have a long history of spouting out your opinion rather than well-established and accepted fact. So, I kindly challenge and invite you to post written proof from a credible third party (e.g. Bosch Automotive Handbook or similar, not some unknown, non-cited website or "expert individual") that unambiguously confirms your assertions. I've done my part. :rolleyes:
That's great Dave now lets get back to 2012 and what has been learned since.

First, ask yourself WHY VW has to have have the CR TDI's HPFP timed to coincide precisely with the crank and cam....FACT not fiction or hyperbole.

It sounds like you guys need to do a bit more research on how these systems work before just slapping parts on an engine thinking it's gonna work the way you think rather than how they actually function.

The other issue you guys will run into is the Piezo or even older fast acting solenoid injectors require excruciatingly stable pressure to function correctly.

At idle and low load things will probably run properly, but under high load and 1800 bar variations in pressure or pump phase variations will throw a wrench into the tuners control of the injection.

Keep in mind that the tuner will have to write an adaptation program to control the varying balance injector to injector, the injector balance program will not be able to control the injectors correctly if the pressure wave is not hitting the injector via the rail at the correct time.

Good luck!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You still have not explained how a 3-plunger pump with 120-degree intervals can achieve what you say MUST be satisfied in a Duramax with 90-degree intervals. You again only reiterate an unsubstantiated opinion without citing a credible source. Don't misunderstand: I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm challenging you to substantiate your answer. You must have been a student in math class who just wrote the final answer to each question without showing how you arrived at it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You still have not explained how a 3-plunger pump with 120-degree intervals can achieve what you say MUST be satisfied in a Duramax with 90-degree intervals. You again only reiterate an unsubstantiated opinion without citing a credible source. Don't misunderstand: I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm challenging you to substantiate your answer. You must have been a student in math class who just wrote the final answer to each question without showing how you arrived at it.
Even if you timed the 3 plunger pump to an 8 cylinder engine via a 1/1.333 pulley, how do you account for the pump deactivating one plunger?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
First, ask yourself WHY VW has to have have the CR TDI's HPFP timed to coincide precisely with the crank and cam....FACT not fiction or hyperbole.
eff who knows. Maybe it has to be synchronized with moon phases to make sure it doesn't blow up. Great pumps they have turned out to be, eh. But *** do I know? Later! :cool: :D

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
E38 730d: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/04/94/64
"The position of the sprocket wheel ① with respect to the H.P. pump has no effect on the function."

Newer versions of the same engine, including the current *35d engines, have no mention of timing or locking the pump. That'd be with the CP3.2+, and 1800 bar operation IIRC.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Pete, I am not saying that there will be NO torque and pressure fluctuations. But you have a long history of hyperbole on things that fall rather short of being cataclysmic.

Source: Richard van Basshuysen and Fred Schäfer (ed.). Internal Combustion Engine Handbook - Basics, Components, Systems, and Perspectives. SAE International 2004.

In the above, the drive torque and pressure fluctuations are plotted. In the worst case, the torque fluctuation is about 15Nm peak-to-peak. All intermittent pumps and reciprocating devices are going to exhibit this behavior, and there is a simple solution for this: You put an inertial weight, like a flywheel sprocket. :rolleyes:

With regard to pressure fluctuations, the worst case amounts to about +/- 0.01 kbar or 10 bar. With the mean at 1500 bar, that's 0.67%. Not the magnitude that will make a lick of discernable difference (especially when we're not only talking about one injection event but rather more commonly now up to 7 per cylinder per cycle over a wide span of crank angle). :rolleyes:

And this data is on FIE that's at least 8 years old, based on the date of the book. There have been improvements made in succeeding generations.
Interesting graphs. Shows how pressure fluctuations are worse at lower fueling rates, which is kinda anti-intuitive to me--but explains why HPFP's hate trailing throttle. Since it has been mentioned to get a five-port rail and cap off the fifth, I wonder if a spring-loaded plug could be machined or sourced to assist with maintaining consistent rail pressure. Plenty of choices in the required strength range needed to maintain 22,000 psi.

Lord_Verminaard

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI
I'm in for more information. Meister, I know you and I bounced some ideas around about this many moons ago. As my project is now actually moving instead of being in a "stalled" state, this subject is quickly becoming more interesting to me. :)

Brendan

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
do it!!...i've been thinking of this ever since I saw some VW promo lit years ago with what looked like an ALH with a HPFP, common rail, and injectors!! ...heck...I'll even volunteer my truck for the test mule!! :D

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
1800 bar pressure variations? :confused:
I'll grant that Pete is a master at twisting and spinning facts. You'd make a good politician Pete! What he said is not technically wrong. Inside the pumping element there are large pressure fluctuations from the bottom of the stroke to the top; that's the nature of how they work! There's absolutely nothing abnormal about this. The inline, VE and PD systems work on the same principle. However, this is not what happens in the rail, where there are ball check valves in the high-pressure outlet of the HPFP and the relatively large volume acts as an accumulator and damps out fluctuations. The graphs show pressure in the rail and it has already been shown that the variation amounts to less than 1% in the worst case.

It's also absolutely no mystery how you deal with torque fluctuations, whether in an injection pump or a complete internal combustion engine - just put a flywheel.

The first first rule of holes is, when you are in one, stop digging.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
This is getting interesting and if the fuel lines line up and minor machining is needed to accommodate injectors I wouldn't mind bank rolling this endeavor.

Of course a team with a timeline is needed; I will compensate all labor and hopefully a kit can be developed for retail purchase. Any takers?

Hopefully Matt will be interested:D and volunteer his Jetta as a test mule. Ryan if you have parts in your warehouse to just match up this might be a worthwhile opportunity for you.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Interesting graphs. Shows how pressure fluctuations are worse at lower fueling rates, which is kinda anti-intuitive to me--but explains why HPFP's hate trailing throttle. Since it has been mentioned to get a five-port rail and cap off the fifth, I wonder if a spring-loaded plug could be machined or sourced to assist with maintaining consistent rail pressure. Plenty of choices in the required strength range needed to maintain 22,000 psi.
Hydraulic accumulators have been doing this for the better part of a century, except instead of a spring use an inert gas at rail pressure as the spring.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
The rail has no bladder or opposing force, the rail is a simple bore without any dampening medium such as an accumulator would have. The only dampening mechanism is the pressure control valve (regulation only) at one end and the pressure sensor at the other neither can store any amount of energy in terms of pressure accumulation.

The fuel under pressure provides all the compressive energy if you will.

The lower the pressure the less retained fuel force, at higher pressures you have more by virtue of higher pressure hence greater compressibility, again aside from fuel there is nothing acting upon the stored fuel in the rail.

VW designed the CR TDI's to provide synchronous pumping with each injection event to mitigate the pressure fluctuations in the rail for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Niclochard said:
Interesting graphs. Shows how pressure fluctuations are worse at lower fueling rates, which is kinda anti-intuitive to me--but explains why HPFP's hate trailing throttle.
Cold starting and emissions.....
The rail in the VW can't store very much volume at available pressure. There is no dampening medium and the fuel is the only compressive force in the system.

The actual available volume that can be used by the injectors is very low hence the reason for having the pump timed to coincide with each injection event in respect to pump displacement volume.

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Which has already been proven wrong.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3811564#post3811564

At full load, you lose about 2000 psi per 2 power strokes when you're getting NOTHING from the HPFP... and the pump is giving you one pulse per injection event, IIRC (assuming a CP4.1 on a CBEA/CJAA or CKRA). So, in real terms, you're losing around 1000 psi at most.

I hope you're not this bad at flying 747s, Pete.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Per the factory manual the HPFP sprocket can be mistimed by cam/crank by several millimeters (I'll verify the actual amount later) which on such a small pulley should equate to quite a few degrees.

edit: In describing the final TDC check the Bentley states

In the following check, only the camshaft and crankshaft are secured. It is difficult to find the securing point on the high pressure fuel pump hub. A small deviation does not affect engine operation.

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
The actual behavior of the fuel in the rail is probably pretty complicated. It is compressible at that pressure, the supply is pulsing, the fluid removal is pulsing (injectors), the rail itself will expand a little under that pressure, and pressure waves move only at the speed of sound of the fluid in the tubing. Pressure waves will reflect, too. And there is damping.

Add that all together and things get complicated. It would not surprise me if the fueling map has tweaks in it to compensate for imbalances between cylinders. Also the closed loop provided by the p-sensing gp's comes in play.

Timing pump pulses with injector squirts makes sense if easily done. Common sense has it that pressures will be more constant that way. It could be the pump pulses are between injector pulses, then the pump timing could be a little more sloppy.

ranger1

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Modellling of presure waves in a common rail injection system

Perhaps this study may help:
http://www.fs.isy.liu.se/Publications/MSc/00_EX_3081_KA.pdf
This study, titled "Modelling of pressure waves in a common rail injection system" seems to agree with DBW, at least in acknowledging that fuel pulsations appear to be problematic on common rail engine performance under certain operating conditions.

The study, conducted under the supervision of Michael Froehlich, of Daimler Chrysler in December 2000, describes a problem found on the Mercedes OM613 common rail diesel engine. At certain operating conditions, the engine didn't run smoothly and it was discovered that the fuel pressure was different at each injector line under specific rail pressure and engine rpm.

The study theorized that the issue may be due to the effect of standing waves inside the rail causing fuel pressure to vary along different positions of the fuel rail. They go into excruciating detail of the possible causes, including the effect of the injector opening/closing in conjunction with the pump piston at pump TDC.

Their modeling results it seemed to me, did not adequately explain what was obviously occurring in real world conditions. They were honest enough to acknowledge that fact.

There is at least one common rail diesel engine that use the Bosch CP3.2 HPFP that specify physical pump orientation alignment. The 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, which uses a Bosch CP3.2, on a 4 cylinder common rail injection system at 1600 bar, has a section in the FSM that shows a locating mark on the pump pulley and a corresponding alignment mark on the mounting plate to which the pump attaches. It specifies alignment of the CP3.2 pump during timing belt replacement.

A poster claiming to be a contract calibrator on this vehicle for Chrysler offered an undocumented statement that not aligning the CP3 on this engine had been tested in their labs to show a 3 percent reduction in power, if the pump was not aligned correctly relative to the crankshaft.

I'm not sure why some manufacturers specify common rail pump alignment and some don't. Perhaps BMW has compensated for the phenomena with better smoothing algorithms in the ECU. I don't know. But I do know that there are 2 marks on the pump in the 05 Liberty and they recommend alignment during timing belt replacement.

The rail has no bladder or opposing force, the rail is a simple bore without any dampening medium such as an accumulator would have. The only dampening mechanism is the pressure control valve (regulation only) at one end and the pressure sensor at the other neither can store any amount of energy in terms of pressure accumulation.
The fuel under pressure provides all the compressive energy if you will.
The lower the pressure the less retained fuel force, at higher pressures you have more by virtue of higher pressure hence greater compressibility, again aside from fuel there is nothing acting upon the stored fuel in the rail.
VW designed the CR TDI's to provide synchronous pumping with each injection event to mitigate the pressure fluctuations in the rail for the reasons listed above.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
3, 2, 1... until Pete claims his "Aha, see?!" moment. :rolleyes: Thank you ranger1. When I asked for substantiating an argument, this is what i meant. I'll take a closer look at that paper.

Obviously there exists both timed and untimed HPFP systems out there - but by Pete's own words there are ONLY timed ones and he uses absolute terms like "MUST be precisely timed" when it has been demonstrably shown otherwise. I'm all the more confident that there will not be cataclysmic events or "timing belt stress that would overload the system" if due consideration and measures are given. We have a case here in Pete of the perfect wanting to be the enemy of the good.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
How does one propose getting an EDC16 to work with the 80/121-pin ALH harness? Plug-in compatibility of the existing harness will be an absolute must. Or a daughterboard inside the existing stock ECU to the additional CR functions. PMs welcome.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This is a very interesting topic. Maybe I'm stating the obvious here (and correct me if I'm wrong) but is the main idea/advantage of doing this to...

1) Provide adequate fueling for 200+ wheel HP that's not currently (easily) available for VE or PD engine designs with better combustion?
2) Use commonly available major components from North America for North American TDI's?
3) It's potentially cheaper than just starting with a CR motor right off the bat?
4) It's really cool/different?
5) ??