Champagne performance on a beer budget

ANTARTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Silver/Grey
Re: Chapagne performance on a beer budget

Des,

I only got the Warp Field Collapse once, and that was because I had an intermittent connection to one of the pins.

Otherwise, no problems.

------------------
ANTARTI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL Silver Arrow/Grey Studio

S

SkyPup

Every, we are very much interested in these two mods as they are exactly what many of us have been thinking of doing for a long time although none of us have actually "done"it yet, including myself. I got messed up bigtime with a funeral to attend and alot of family company over our Thanksgiving break when I was planning on attempting to work out this mod with the dual trace oscilloscope on the TDI and also install my new 20PSI Upsolute Chip which I have had for more than a month. Unfortunately I did not have any time for anything.

If you would start a new thread here and describe these two mods in detail, perhaps with some accompanying pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot for you leadership on this!

diesel des

Veteran Member

I would like to know from people with a chip and a box, if this mod make WFC worse or better. I am trying to figure if WFC is the limit of the pump or the ECU. Thanks Des.

[This message has been edited by diesel des (edited November 28, 2000).]

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ANTARTI:
I only got the Warp Field Collapse once, and that was because I had an intermittent connection to one of the pins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My question is, can a switch be placed in the shunt to return to stock for cruising on the fly, or must the ECU be turned off first?

KRANKENSTEIN

Connecting pin 2 and pin 3 with a 650 ohm resistor provides a noticeable increase in power, but the check engine light comes on steady and the glow plug light blinks.

diesel des

Veteran Member

Does anyone know what pins need the resistance across them in a 8 pin pump from a A3? Or does anyone have the pinout of the connection for the A3? Thanks Des.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

The Bentley book says that pins 1, 2, and 3 are involved in the displacement sender, but I haven't found a place in the book which describes which pin does what.

One pin is common, one pin is AC supply, one pin is AC signal, it is not clear which one does what.

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Update: Pin 2 is common between the coils, each of pins 1 and 3 go to the other end of each coil of the displacement transducer, but there is no indication of which coil supplies the AC signal and which one provides the feedback signal back to the ECU.

I, of course, will not take any responsibility for what anyone does with this information!

Brian P.

diesel des

Veteran Member

Thanks GoFaster! I will have a play with those wires tommorow if the snow clears here. Thanks.

ANTARTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Silver/Grey

Krankenstein,

My Jetta would barely idle at down around 750 Ohms... You got to use the power for what.. 10 seconds before the Warp Field Collapse? Your username is really fitting! That's the lowest I've heard anyone crank it!

What have you dialed it back to now, and what is your impression?

------------------
ANTARTI
Evry's Fueling Mod

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6

Maybe try putting a 5k pot in series with a 700 ohm resistor, and mount the pot on the dash somewhere. That way you leave it up at max resistance most of the time, idling and such, but when a rice-burner shows up on your bumper you can crank the pot down to zero, shift down, dump a load of smoke in his face and leave him way behind. :)

Do it on a hill where the TDI torque delivers - even better...

Paul

ANTARTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Silver/Grey

Paul,

When tweaking the pot down to a suitable setting, one of the things you notice is that the engine will shivver as you come through various values.

The tuningbox probably does very close to this same effect, but is turning itself off at idle to preserve the idle quality. Lots of people with tuning boxes report engine shiver/shake when the box engages at low ( <2K) revs. You will get a similar shivver at idle if you move the pot down through around 1.1K ohms, then it straightens out.

Setting up a relay with this mod would probably come very close to duplicating the Tbox effects.

I might just use a throttle-mount switch too, where full-throttle would enable another inline resistor. That would give a stock idle with mucho extra power (and yes, glorious soot if you so desire).

------------------
ANTARTI
Evry's Fueling Mod

KRANKENSTEIN

BEWARE! THIS MODIFICATION CAN CAUSE THE CLUTCH TO SLIP IN FORTH AND FIFTH GEAR.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta

I'd like to try this, where exactly is the 10pin connector and harness?

I'm assuming my car would be a decent canidate for this, it's mostly stock except for: no MAF screen, no snow screen, K & N, and one turn on the VNT turbo.

Ryan
1999 Jetta TDI GLS

ANTARTI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Silver/Grey

Live4SPD,

The 10-pin harness is almost directly behind the oil filter cartridge, when facing the engine from the front of the car.

The pin #'s are clearly labeled on both sides of the harness...

------------------
ANTARTI
Evry's Fueling Mod

wolf_tm250

Hi Folks,
do you think i can make the Evry's mod
even on my already chipped VW Transporter 2.5 TDI (ex-102HP)? Have I the 10 pin connector on my rocket?
Ciao

------------------
Wolf_Tm250 (29;Parma;Italy)
TM enduro 250 '00 2s. [55 -> 55]
Suzuki SV 650 S '00 [70 -> 75]
VW Transporter 2.5 TDI '98 [102 -> 130]
Toyota Celica Gt-Four ST205 '95 [242 -> x]
ICQ #12598872 - http://digilander.iol.it/wolfango

Infernoken

Did anybody tries this already on a VW A3 ?
What pins do you have to connect on the 8-pin???
How do I count the pins (what order are they in ?)
Nobody seems to know or care about us 'old' folks

Have a heart

Infernoken

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

On the older models with the 8-pin connector, the resistor either goes between pins 2 and 3 (same as A4), or between pins 1 and 2 (if that doesn't work). We don't know which, because either nobody has tried it yet, or anybody who has tried it hasn't posted what they did. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm chicken

Figuring out the pin numbers is a no-brainer. They're numbered!

Brian P.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Well, tdimeister and I did this to both of our Upsoluted B4 Passats today.

Result?

YEEEEE - HAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Definitely a significant increase in power everywhere in the rev range. On mine it seems a lot stronger in the higher revs where it ran out of breath before - and the 2000 - 2500 rpm range where the torque peak is feels unbelievably strong compared to before!

So far, I have not found any driveability issues at all, it's as smooth as ever - perhaps even smoother! The torque feels like a good ole American pushrod V8 - I'm serious!

Rather than using a variable pot, I obtained two 1 kohm resistors (one for Dave and myself). We unwrapped the electrical tape from the harness (on the car side) which goes to the injection pump plug, spliced the resistors between the wires going to pins 2 and 3 in there using some uninsulated butt connectors. Wrapped each butt connector in electrical tape individually after crimping them then re-wrapped the whole harness. This way it's a totally stealth mod, not visible at all.

I'm still not getting any smoke at full load, I could have probably used an 820 ohm resistor and obtained even more, but seriously, this is good enough!

Thanks to all those involved in the development of this!

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute (and resistor...)

P.S. to anyone considering this: I assume no responsibility for what you do to your own car. If you do this mod, and something breaks, it's your problem, not mine. Be aware that you'd better make sure those electrical connections are really good, because if they come apart, the engine will shut down and you'll be stuck.

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?

Yo Brian

Just wondering if you tried connecting this resistor path while the motor is running, as an on/off switch would do.

(I realize that I asked this question before)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

There's no need. The engine runs as smoothly as ever under all load conditions that I have tried - perhaps even better, because I haven't noticed the 1500 rpm stumble since doing it! Building the resistor right into the wiring harness with no external connections makes it as reliable as possible, external switches means more connections that can go wrong.

The on/off switch is YOUR RIGHT FOOT. Don't want the extra power ... don't step on it.

Brian P.

S

SkyPup

Yikes, that is one fine endorsement!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Performance numbers! Not quite a dyno test, but at least this is better than "seat of the pants" estimates ...

I care more about maximum trailer-towing torque than about quarter mile acceleration or 0 to 100 km/h times. Therefore, my "performance test" has always been a top gear 100 to 120 km/h acceleration starting at a particular marker - and it happens to be uphill at this point, which stretches out the time a bit and makes it easier to measure.

Bone stock numbers from way back, about 10.2 seconds.

Stock numbers with aftermarket wheels and tires, about 12 seconds. My aftermarket wheels and tires have a larger rolling diameter than stock by about 3 or 4 per cent. This causes slower times, because (a) higher effective overall drive ratio thus less absolute acceleration, (b) rather than a 20 km/h difference it's now a few percent more, (c) I'm actually travelling a little faster so there's more drag.

"Original tuning box" (the one I sent back due to driveability issues) combined with the boost bleed, 6.8 seconds with the stock wheels and tires (compare this to the 10.2 seconds number).

Upsolute, just under 9 seconds. This was with the bigger wheels (compare it to 12 seconds stock).

Upsolute with the resistor in place ... 6.2 SECONDS!!! And that's with the bigger wheels!

And tdimeister's car still feels faster than mine! It didn't feel like the resistor made as much difference on his - but he's probably closer to the point of diminishing returns as far as adding extra fuel goes.

THIS WORKS. No question about it!

Brian P.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

WOW that's a big bump indeed! I noted to Brian earlier that my car feels very much more "elastic," and acceleration -- particular in-gear -- feels much snappier and an order of magnitude more EFFORTLESS. Less go-pedal needed for more go

If it's any indication, clutch slippage after the mod is VERY evident
, even from 3rd gear (!!) from around 1800 rpm. Previously it would only slip in 5th and maybe 4th on a good day (post Upsolute).

Unfortunately, smoke is also pretty evident, too. Brian notes his car has almost NO visible smoke. Someone pointed out earlier that the optimum resistance values vary from car to car. Here's a text book case.

I believe my car in its regular state of tune is already close to the rich limit in terms of fueling, which may partially explain why my car feels stronger than GoFaster's (Brian, does this render your username invalid?
).

On the plus side, however, my car apparently still gets better fuel mileage than GoFaster's
And like him, I don't have any discernable out-of-the-ordinary driveability issues.

Nobody's going to pry this gem of a car out of my hands... OVER MY DEAD BODY!

Now we need to find an official name for this mod. I vote for "Poor Man's Tuning Box" although the results are hardly poor...

------------------
TDIMeister
05/97 Silber B4 Passat T<font color="red">DI</font>
Airbox "mods", K&N, Upsolute chip, turbo boost bleed, "Champagne" mod a.k.a. Poor Man's Tuning Box
, 20% tint all-around.

[This message has been edited by tdimeister (edited February 26, 2001).]

henryp

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 NB TDI

Antari has already already named it. I thought it was called "Evry's Fuelling Mod"

Have you or GoFaster got any mileage numbers after this mod?
I'm assuming that your fuel mileage will drop. Let us know!

henry

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Obviously I've only got about 400 km on the mod, so it's pretty early to tell, but the gauge doesn't seem to be going down much differently from before.

Dave might be able to tell, he had a long drive home Sunday night.

I wouldn't expect fuel consumption to change significantly, unless the extra power was being used all the time.

Brian P.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

1150 kilometers (713 miles), 400km (248 miles) of which post mod, 75%-25% highway/city driving mix, less than conservative driving style in the city (avg. 5 miles per trip) and cruise always set between 72-75 MPH on the highways.

Filled 16.198 gallons of Amoco Premier. I calculate 44 MPG under the above conditions, close to EPA's 45 MPG for highway-only driving. Not too shabby, IMO. Needless to say, I won't win any mileage contests with the current state of tune and the the way I'm driving right now, but I can't help it. The torque is so fun

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI

Sorry, made a mistake on the gallons filled... I have the receipt here on-hand: it should be 15.891 gallons, not 16.198 (what was I thinking?)

My MPG figure for that tankful then works out to be 44.9 MPG. Not a big difference, and not that impressive either, but I just needed to clear my conscience and make the correction.

If it were possible to drive conservatively notwithstanding all the mods (impossible for me... I don't have the discipline
), I don't see a reason why I can't do low-to-mid-fifties (mixed city and highway) as before all the mods. Taking a ride with me before and after the mods were performed will be enough to clearly illustrate to anyone why my mileage has gone down a smidge
. As GoFaster said earlier, "The on/off switch is YOUR RIGHT FOOT. Don't want the extra power ... don't step on it."

I cannot attribute ANY significant increase in fuel consumption to this mod in and of itself.

IMO Evry's fueling mod deserves a place in the TDI Performance Enhancement Hall of Fame, Colucci's turbo boost bleed being another.

------------------
TDIMeister
05/97 Silber B4 Passat T<font color="red">DI</font>
Airbox "mods", K&N, Upsolute chip, turbo boost bleed, "Champagne" mod a.k.a. Poor Man's Tuning Box
, 20% tint all-around.

[This message has been edited by tdimeister (edited February 27, 2001).]