www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old Yesterday, 15:27   #46
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

I have still not found a single LED "halogen replacement" that good beam control. Several claim they do, but when I tried them out the scatter is horrid.

There was a discussion on here a few years ago about why you can't drop HID bulbs into halogen housings. Gist of the discussion is the element runs bright at different points along its length and different position than arc of Xenon bulb. In some instances the elements of a halogen bulb are even turned 90 degrees from the arc globe in a HID bulb.

Now for LEDs they are trying to mimic the bright spot location to make it work. But both HID and halogen have a bright spot with 360 exposure in one plane and only small blockage on other plane for electrodes. LEDs however block 100% behind them and are brightest in only a small arc, while they do try to distribute light over the whole 180 degrees.

New Passats have LED headlamp available. GTIs have LED fog lamps. Neither use the same reflector setup. In both cases the LEDs are vertical firing and very different shaped reflectors compared to halogen.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 18:36   #47
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

HID's bulbs do emit their light in a 360 arc, there is no reflector on the bulb. LED's are terrible in an HID or halogen bulb projector headlight, learned that one the hard way.
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:53   #48
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

RE: 40% savings on power bill replacing 48 - 60w bulbs with LED's.

We can do the math on that one too.

Before 48x60W = 2880 W
After 48x10W = 480 W
Net savings = 2.4 kW

Giving benefit of the doubt, Let's assume that every one of those 48 lights "might" be turned on for 8 hours per day.

2.4 kW x 8 hours = 19.2 kWh saved per day. 30 days = 576 kWh saved using LED's.

In this very generous scenario, it's possible. In my experience, we replaced 82x60W bulbs with 12 watt LED's, and 18 75W outdoor floods with 15 watt LED's. On paper, that's a HUGE power saving overall however we are diligent about turning off lights, and seldom have even 10% those bulbs on at any given moment for 4-6 hours in an evening. Add to that our new 10kW oven/microwave/warming tray, heating pumps, two refrigerators, freezer, wine cooler, 3-ton A/C in summer, and our furnace fan that runs most of the time in winter, and of course, my EV, we honestly haven't noticed ANY savings on our power bill.

Essentially, if lighting is one of the biggest loads on his panel every month - it's possible. That's a big IF however, so I do understand Turbo's skepticism.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.

Last edited by Oilerlord; Today at 07:54.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:12   #49
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Thank you,
2003 JSW 1.8T future TDI, silver. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:04   #50
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan+tdi View Post
HID's bulbs do emit their light in a 360 arc, there is no reflector on the bulb. LED's are terrible in an HID or halogen bulb projector headlight, learned that one the hard way.
I know, and that is what I said.

To clarify - if we get all fancy and specify x,y,z axis then on two (lets say x,y) HID emits uninterrupted 360 degrees. The other axis (z) will have a very minor interruption at 2 points where the electrodes shade the arc. In most HID bulbs these are positioned in such a way that there is no negative effect of the shadow.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote