B5.5 PD130 - are these cat failure symptoms?

stefan2m

TDI
CDYA 3.0 tdi
Hi guys, for a while my Passat (2003 pd130 5m/t fwd wagon, stock 16") has been having trouble making power under 2500rpm, then picks up pretty decent.
Also, it doesn't return the mileage I expect from a 1.9 tdi (usually averages about 7l/100km at the pump, but the speedometer is off by a -about- 4% at highway speeds, maybe lowering mileage it a little further but not much).
One fault code for an intermittent coolant temperature sensor (have a replacement sensor and thermostat waiting, just need to buy coolant and find time).
The power delivery feels smooth, idles fine, you just feel the turbo joining the party a bit late.
When driving with the tail gate open, I noticed the exhaust note is pretty raw under load, hard to explain.
When at low speeds, with the windows open, you can hear a can-like rattle from under the car when at lower speeds, I feared it's the dmf, but it hasn't gotten worse in the 2yrs I own the car, and the clutch works fine... I suspect a heat shield, but are there any on the front half of the exhaust?
I tried replacing the air mass sensor and air/fuel filters, both were about a year old, no irregularities; I did feel a bit of improvement after replacing the trio, but not much.
I was thinking maybe the turbo vanes being sticky, but it doesn't overboost and it's too regular.
Also suspecting the n75, but no failures.
And with the rattling, I suspect the cat... anyone any ideas?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
You need to look underneath to check for loose exhaust components. I lost the rear heat shield on my Golf due to corrosion, but it did not rattle; just fell off. Then again you would most likely smell diesel fumes if the pipe weld was cracked.