What part# is this?

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
Hi
What part# is this?
I know VW numbers all their parts, but can't seem to see it on this piece and nothing online, help.
It's a 2003 Jetta wagon
It's a small part, about the size of pack of cards, want to replace on both sides.
Area is lower front area of front door, front of rockers.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Good find! And great price too. With all the time involved in making one, that's way cheaper.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I have never run across this part before, and I'd been reading up on rocker repair work for quite a long time!

crawdaddy, many thanks for posting this question! I'd really love to read/see how the repair goes.

FYI - These are the same for Golfs too.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
crawdaddy, many thanks for posting this question! I'd really love to read/see how the repair goes.
FYI - These are the same for Golfs too.
I used a dremel tool to cut the spot welds, 8 for each side.
This is what it looked like when I removed plate.
I was surprised by it.

Remove spot welds along the underside rockers, from under car and also just under door because rust was in between the pinch weld area.
2' on passenger and just 1' driver side

What surprised me the most was the rocker area both sides at the front didn't show rust from the outside.
The seam sealer that was over rusty area just came off really easy, unrusted areas still stuck.

When I emailed VW showing the part, also gave my VIN, they couldn't find it because it didn't show under Jetta, just Golf

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
That piece really make a big difference in being able to repair this spot!

I think I'll be able to salvage my passenger side:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/919g6hj3p042lk3/PassengerSide1.jpg

Driver's side is going to be more involved, requiring some reconstruction of the rocker itself, but I suspect that it will be easier than trying to feather in a whole chunk (cut from another car):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/poyks8uidq6atai/DriverSide1.jpg

[sorry for the links, but I was too lazy to battle with posting to the Pictures section- such a pain!]

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
while you have that open, i would liberally coat the insides of the rockers with cosmoline or a similar rust preventative product. Not too expensive and you can get a wand that will extend the length of the cavity. Not locked on the Cosmoline brand.. there are other cavity wax / sprays out there, but this is an idea time to do it.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
Your joking right?:confused:
I think I'll be able to salvage my passenger side:

I know it looks better than pass side, but this is too far gone.
That's what I might do, weld in a whole chunk from another car.
But I need to get my car on the road so I can go to a wrecker to find a rust free MK4
Driver's side is going to be more involved, requiring some reconstruction of the rocker itself, but I suspect that it will be easier than trying to feather in a whole chunk (cut from another car):

That was so easy to post your photos.
[sorry for the links, but I was too lazy to battle with posting to the Pictures section- such a pain!]

Going to use fluid film after, I have long wand that reach deep into all areas
while you have that open, i would liberally coat the insides of the rockers with cosmoline or a similar rust preventative product. Not too expensive and you can get a wand that will extend the length of the cavity. Not locked on the Cosmoline brand.. there are other cavity wax / sprays out there, but this is an idea time to do it.