www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old February 18th, 2017, 11:12   #121
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I never understood why people bought those new when the Nissan dealer was selling the Pathfinder for so much less, even the tarted up trim level. At least those looked better than the vomit inducing SUVs Infiniti now has at their lot. Gosh, they just get uglier and uglier as time goes on.
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 197k miles, or 317040KM. Now a daily driver Chainless and Gear Driven via the procedure by Oilhammer 06/17/2009, ngk hybrid glowplugs, Chainless and proud of it! Mileage?....adequate I just wish the new TDIs weren't so complex and controversial.

Last edited by leicaman; February 18th, 2017 at 11:14.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 22:56   #122
tadawson
Veteran Member

CARB is a bunch of imbeciles that overregulate everything they touch. A far gentler regulatory touch will have exactly the same positive effect.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 11:22   #123
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post

Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
Dude: Chill. You're raising your blood pressure. Heart attacks kill people.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 22:09   #124
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Exclamation Auto class diesel cars have not been sold in the US in any numbers in over 3 decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamalin View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/w...T.nav=top-news

Sure hope we see CARB compliant diesels or our cities will be as polluted as London. I live in a smog ridden city. I treat kids and seniors suffocating in it. That's why regulations are necessary. They have saved the well being of millions. If you don't like CARB, guess you don't watch your kid trying to breath. Enjoy your smoggy cars with President Trump, just hope you don't have to take your grandkids to the ER to be intubated.
I am sorry but this is just a bunch of unsupported by reality anywhere whooy! Auto class diesels exist in such low numbers we could go back to pre-1992 auto class diesel emissions regs for a decade at least before enough of these would exist to start to maybe effect a little air. And in reality auto class diesels like the one's the EPA & CARB have gone after will likely never exist in enough numbers anywhere in the US over the next decade or so even if they were put back to pre-1992 levels to ever have a measurable effect on air quality!!!

.Also both the EPA & CARB have in recent years come out with on the ground collected emissions data saying the real polluters today & for the last three decades are not diesels, but have always been unregulated nor measured today gasoline engine produced Ultra-Fine PMs!!!!

Facts & reality should matter when it comes to passing or enforcing emissions regulations....

FACT based on reality.....the current ridiculously useless over zealous stupid politically not science in any way based auto class diesel engine'd emissions on non-existent cars were never about cleaner air anywhere in the US!!!!That is since no one has sold these auto class offering in the US in any numbers since 1985 Model year!!!!

Where was all of this cleaner air supposed to come from when these stupid useless rules were passed on non-existent for over three decades now auto class diesels!!! Your posted link is BS not based on reality on ground anywhere today!!!

You really want cleaner air:"? Demand we require PM traps on all gasoline engine'd vehicle, that will really give us cleaner air getting rid of the real pollution today which does kill americans every day....

Putting real regulations that will reduce what EPA & CARB study data has said for close to three decades now are what are causing cancer & breathing health issues which lead to real deaths.....

EPA & CARB collected real study data that says these mega-tons gasoline engine produced annually Ultra-Fine PMs, pollution that is only today produced by gasoline powered vehicles are a real measurable today health issue!!!

!!!...Facts matter...!!!
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:18   #125
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicaman View Post
I think Nissan's designers are on some special meds. I don't quite understand it. Same goes for some Lexus designs IMHO. But do not forget. Back in the late 1950s remember how some Studebakers, DeSotos and Chrysler Imperials looked in that period. Holy Toledo! Top on my ugly list was the '58 Packard Hawk and 61 DeSoto.

No special meds. They are under the influence of the French, the country that has a century's worth of producing some off-the-wall automotive ideas. Some good (Michelin's radial ply tires, Renault's Espace), some not so good (Renault Avantime, Citroen's goofy pneumatic steering/suspension in the DS).

Nissan is majority owned by Renault, which is likely why so many newer Nissan products are styled so awful.

See my FS thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=446942
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 08:58   #126
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

You can blame all the wine then!