GB: Westach dual Boost and EGT Gauge (PD-BEW)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hobby... the MCA kit is for A4/ALH motors only for now. He's investigating possible use for the PD but isn't there yet. If you can make it through his very long thread, he talks about it there...

Nitro, the thing I do notice is Westach has their cold junction calibrated for 75ºF where ANSI standards spec 32ºF. The 75º is probably more real-world and, if located in the passenger compartment, would generate reasonably accurate readings. Not that the interior of your car is always that temperature for sure. The difference in temps you are experiencing, however, can't really be accounted for entirely because of cold junction issues, IMO. Without some kind of controlled temerature experiment and comparison, it's pretty tough to know who's right and who's wrong. I'd still call Westach if I were you and see if you can get any useful info.

Last edited:

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
So I finally got the new thermocouple in from Westach to replace the VDO one.

Oh yeah... totally F'ing different. The VDO one has a response time measured in multiple seconds, the Westach one has a response time less than 1 second.

Resting resistance on the VDO is about 5 ohms, resting resistance on the Westach is about half that, at 2.3 ohms. So from the get-go we have a huge difference in cold resistance... this only gets worse as the temp increases - I suspect the VDO temp range resistance is much less broad than the Westach one, so at max temp (1600F) the resistance coming from the VDO is going to be fairly low, while the Westach will be fairly high. As I have no way of measuring a 1600F or even a 800F temp accurately, I can't say specific numbers... but I do know my guage reads about where I'd expect, whereas it was reading very low with the VDO TC.

The Westach response time is incredible, coming off the VDO. My temps move up and down almost as fast as my boost, giving me a much clearer picture of what's happening in the exhaust stream.

hobbyshop

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Sport, 2004, Platinum Grey
question: the thermocouple that came with the GB is the VDO one, and not the "F'ing different" westach one?

i'm still waiting for a gauge pod to install mine.. so it's still in the box back at home...

Nitrowolf said:
So I finally got the new thermocouple in from Westach to replace the VDO one.

Oh yeah... totally F'ing different. The VDO one has a response time measured in multiple seconds, the Westach one has a response time less than 1 second.

Resting resistance on the VDO is about 5 ohms, resting resistance on the Westach is about half that, at 2.3 ohms. So from the get-go we have a huge difference in cold resistance... this only gets worse as the temp increases - I suspect the VDO temp range resistance is much less broad than the Westach one, so at max temp (1600F) the resistance coming from the VDO is going to be fairly low, while the Westach will be fairly high. As I have no way of measuring a 1600F or even a 800F temp accurately, I can't say specific numbers... but I do know my guage reads about where I'd expect, whereas it was reading very low with the VDO TC.

The Westach response time is incredible, coming off the VDO. My temps move up and down almost as fast as my boost, giving me a much clearer picture of what's happening in the exhaust stream.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Nitro, where is your TC taking its reading? are you drilled into the manifold?

Eric B

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Nitro, that sounds like good news. Fast response time, no funky readings. I'm not sure what or who to fault for the discrepancies you experienced. I do know that thermocouples get tired with age and use. Could be the VDO was getting tired, or.... ??? Regardless, glad things seem to be working fine now.

Nitrowolf

Veteran Member
TDI
White 2003 Jetta TDI
Hobbyshop: The one that came with the GB is the Westach one. I had VDO guages in my car before.

TDIkook: I have a tap into my manifold to take the readings.

FlyTDI Guy:

My TC is fairly new (less than a year old I think, maybe 2 years at most... I can't remember if we replaced it when I put my VNT17 in or not). Either way, 2 years shouldn't be too much for a TC. I like the Westach one a lot better.

Now to finish the install of my Westach Oil temp/pressure combo guage too :)

hobbyshop

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Sport, 2004, Platinum Grey
thanks!!

i'm still waiting for the podi to come out to install the gauge. i hope it fits.. i mean, after all this waiting...

Nitrowolf said:
Hobbyshop: The one that came with the GB is the Westach one. I had VDO guages in my car before.

CrossTDI

TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI 5spd -Blue w/Tan Interior
Westach Gauge for Sale

Hi all, I've posted this in the FS forum as well:

I have this gauge, the EGT probe, Boost Tubing, and FlyTDIGuy's Lighting Kit available.

None of this has been used/installed.

I was not in on the groupbuy, however called westach after it occured and learned that they had produced an extra that was not claimed during the group buy. That's the one i have. That's the on i'm selling (i've had changes in my gauge plans).

Anyway, please message me if you are interested. I'm looking for $195 but will accept the best offer.

Thanks,

CrossTDI

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Just in case anyone's interested... I've still got the stuff to make more lighting kits. If, for some reason, you need one... contact me via PM and I'd be glad to make more up.

nomad6

TDI
02 jetta a4-sold
flytdi guy

pm sent regarding the lighting kits, if anyone else from this old thread can help with a matching lighting kit, awesome.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.
The price for this guageis up to 300 per now..anybody want to try to get agroup buy again?