OE Quality Replacement Axles by GKN In Stock

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI

Buying replacement axles for your diesel has always been a trade off between affordability and quality. OE axles are overpriced and aftermarket axles are terrible quality and fail within a few months.

IDParts now imports OE quality axles from GKN out of Europe. GKN is an OE supplier to many manufacturers, so quality is tier one and price is much more affordable than OEM.

Check our the full lineup below:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Great to know! Chaxles are a constant source of problems, and I always champion repairing/reusing the original factory GKN/Lobro or Flex-Con shafts as they are infinitely superior. All VAG products chew up the Chaxles in short order, but the diesels REALLY tear them up FAST. And the looseness is incredible. I've literally seen Autozone Chaxles that are more worn out 6 months after the owner installed them than OEM axles are after 1/4 million miles. No idea what type of metal the Chinese use, but it clearly is garbage.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
What about some unobtanium B4 axles since you are getting them from Europe? I still don't want to bite the bullet on a set of Raxles for the wagon, so any chance at a set?

cevans

TDI
There were apparently a LOT of TDIers who needed axles. We've sold out of a few of the models already. Please accept my apologies if we didn't have enough to cover your order, I'll get you a firm ETA as soon as I can.

I will look into availability of B4 axles.

We've sourced the ALH 6-speed axles as special order for a few customers. PM me and I'll get back to you.

cevans

TDI
Just got confirmation that we'll be able to restock on the few sold out numbers by the end of the week. Thanks for your patience.

B4 axles are available new from GKN. I'll have them up on the site soon, though they will take a few weeks to get. PM me if you're interested.

oilhammer

TDI
Just FWIW, most any VAG drive axle that is equipped with the Rzeppa style inner joint (which would include EVERY B4 sold here) can have the OEM axles rebuilt pretty much indefinitely. Because, as I am sure cevans knows, good quality joints/boots can be sourced if indeed they are in need of replacement and fitted on to the axle shaft. The axle shaft itself is almost impossible to break. Almost. ;)

It is only on some of the VAG applications that use inner tripod style joints that cannot be easily replaced, and in some cases if a reboot/regreasing does not get it taken care of the axle will indeed need to be replaced.

But the only time I ever have to replace any axle with Rzeppa style joints is if it was previously replaced by some Chaxle by a moron. :rolleyes: Otherwise, the OEM axle can always be salvaged. Also of note, you can swap sides on the joints and place any wear on the opposite position, and this will essentially give even a well worn Rzeppa joint a new lease on life and get any vibrations eliminated and make it like new again. I do this quite often, and then you are just dealing with the cost of boot replacement, not the joint AND the boot.

Disassembling a drive axle on a VAG product is an easy endeavor. If you can get it out of the car, you can take it apart.

cevans

TDI
Agreed with all above. VAG uses absolutely fantastic axles, and ball joints for that matter. Good quality CV joints can be hard to find. I've only seen GKN and OE ones last. Any others you like?

If you are spending $100 per joint plus labor, the entire shaft assembly starts to make sense. I was also very intimidated by CV joints until I got a few under my belt, and I imagine a lot of people feel that way.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
How about some axles for my 05 Passat Tdi wagon transmission ( auto to manual transmission conversion) ?
I could use a high quality pair in the very near future.
Let me know.

Last edited:

cevans

TDI
As luck would have it someone already requested these on our Facebook page...and they are already up on the website. They are special order right now - if you order them we'll e-mail you with a firm ETA (or PM me and I'll get you an up-to-date ETA). If a few more people ask for these we might bring a few in to stock.

B5.5 BHW Axles for 6-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION SWAP ONLY

http://www.idparts.com/vw-front-axle-8d0407271aj-b55-left-gkn-p-6344.html
http://www.idparts.com/vw-front-axle-8d0407272aj-b55-right-gkn-p-6343.html

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, I wish I had a 6 speed gearbox to install.

I am going with the 40k low mile FHN ( 5 speed) gearbox and my plan is to have it installed in the spring / summer. I need axles for a 5 speed manual trans converting from automatic.

Can you assist me or do I go with Raxles for a 2005 Passat 1.8 T Gas manual transmission application ?

Will have the Valeo Euro Spec 1.9 clutch kit and Advance Auto Parts axles ( in box) to sell if anyone has an interest.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We have a lot of axles arriving early next week. We'll post quantities on the site as soon as they arrive.

Last edited:

cevans

TDI
Sorry, I wish I had a 6 speed gearbox to install.
I am going with the 40k low mile FHN ( 5 speed) gearbox and my plan is to have it installed in the spring / summer. I need axles for a 5 speed manual trans converting from automatic.
Can you assist me or do I go with Raxles for a 2005 Passat 1.8 T Gas manual transmission application ?
Will have the Valeo Euro Spec 1.9 clutch kit and Advance Auto Parts axles ( in box) to sell if anyone has an interest.
With that much variation I'd be hesitant to order axles because I wouldn't be confident in getting the right number. These would be special ordered from Europe, so if you get the part number wrong you'd be stuck with them!

EDIT: all B5.5 manual transmission axles are the same. The product has been updated to reflect that.

All delayed orders are shipping today. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
The B5.5s all use the same axles regardless of engine, just the trans (automatic or manual). So if you installed a manual 5sp gearbox behind the BHW, any manual AWM or ATQ axle would work just fine. Not sure about the W8s though. But I do know that even the 4mo cars' front axles are the same as the FWD.

It is the early B5s that have the smaller joints and sometimes have differences in the inner joints too.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer. I was figuring a set of axles for a 1.8 T ( Gas ) with manual transmission would be a good way to go in my transmission conversion project. Thanks for the help.

CEVANS- Let me know if you can help me out with a pair of GKN axles for my 2005 Passat 5 speed manual conversion.

A pair of GKN axles for a 2005 Passat (factory 5 speed manual) with either the 1.8 Turbo gas or the V6 gas motor application would be fine. You should have access to the correct VW part numbers

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I looked up VW OEM part numbers on 1st VW's website.

I have the following part numbers for a 2005 VW Passat with the 1.8 Turbo gas engine and a manual 5 speed transmission.

LEFT front complete axle assembly ( 8D0-407-451-CX )
RIGHT front axle assembly ( 8D0-407-452-CX )

Can somebody verify that I have the correct part numbers?
I would like to buy a set of those GKN axles from Cevans, for use in my automatic to 5 speed manual trans conversion.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Many of the driveaxles have been obsoleted from Volkswagen. Which really stinks, because so many perfectly good ones get scrapped and replaced with Chaxles. :(

Deming, those are the correct (reman) part numbers for the FWD and 4mo B5.5 with AWM, ATQ, and BDP engines. So, like I said, ALL the B5.5 Passats sold here with a manual gearbox.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Many of the driveaxles have been obsoleted from Volkswagen. Which really stinks, because so many perfectly good ones get scrapped and replaced with Chaxles. :(
Whenever a customer calls and is weighing axle options, one thing I tell them is if they decide to go with an inexpensive axle do not turn in their OE one as a core. It'll be worth more when they ultimately decide to buy OE or Raxles.

cevans

TDI

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
Understanding this thread is 7 years old, I'm going to ask anyway: can IDParts get GKN axles for B5.5 cars still equipped with the auto transmission? I see on the website axles for manual-equipped Passats, but none for us losers still sporting the auto.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Truth is I'm not sure you can get much of any axles for an automatic B5.5. GKN doesn't show any stock, the dealer only carries one side, and our other aftermarket supplier (GSP) only carries one side.