Hertz To Offer Jetta TDI

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Just got a note from Hertz announcing the Jetta TDI will be available as part of their Green Collection. I travel for business and will rent one just to check it out. I have an 06 Jetta TDI now.

Maybe start a you-pick-the-date lottery predicting how long it takes until a renter tops one off with regular unleaded. :eek:

Fyi
Pappy

Http://offers.hertzgold.com/Htz_Gold.aspx?offerid=12468&langcode=en

Last edited:

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
That's a gutsy move...particularly because of the risk of mis-fuelling.I wonder what steps,if any,they'll take to prevent that.I think I can even see them locking the gas cap and telling the renter "the tank's full,watch your gas gague closely and if you get low go to your nearest Hertz counter or call this toll free number".

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Diesel Fuel Only!

1. Add in another disclaimer to sign. "Diesel Fuel Only"
  2. Sticker on the dash under the fuel gage
  3. Additional stickers/labels on the fuel access hatch
  4. Something on the key fob
  5. What else?
Hertz offers an option at rental check-in to have them do the refueling for a slight upcharge. Maybe they will make that mandatory for the rental. If a renter insists on pumping their own, then they can add in the disclaimers, etc.

The exciting part to this is the great exposure for VW and diesels in general.
Smart move by both VW and Hertz.

I have a few trips coming up in the next month. I checked my destinations for the Jetta TDI option but they don't seem to be in the Hertz system just yet. (Phoenix, Spokane, Albuquerque)

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
  1. Add in another disclaimer to sign. "Diesel Fuel Only"
  2. Sticker on the dash under the fuel gage
  3. Additional stickers/labels on the fuel access hatch
  4. Something on the key fob
  5. What else?
Hertz offers an option at rental check-in to have them do the refueling for a slight upcharge. Maybe they will make that mandatory for the rental. If a renter insists on pumping their own, then they can add in the disclaimers, etc.
The potential warnings you list are all plausible but you've *gotta* know that,at least on occasion,someone will goof up.As for making that refuelling option mandatory with the TDI that would work perfectly if the tank door was sealed shut but doing so would make longer term rentals with unlimited mileage basically impossible.I see a huge potential for disaster here unless Hertz plans perfectly for all possibilities....but then I've always been a "glass half empty" kinda guy.:D

And BTW...I just spent a while on the phone with several local Hertz offices and none of them had the first clue and none of them could do any kind of wide range computer check.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I know I won't be buying any car, Diesel or otherwise, that comes out of a rental fleet.

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
Something just occurred to me...there's a fairly large Ford dealer near me that for years has rented Fords and the operation isn't just connected to their service dept/body shop and isn't run by Enterprise of anything like that.It is,essentially,a stand alone rental agency.I'm wondering if any VW dealers are known to do that kind of thing.I'd *love* to be able to rent a 4 cylinder VW (or Audi) TDI for a day or two in anticipation of my MB being stolen and not recovered,totaled,etc.:eek:

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
rental cost

I'd bet you won't see too many of them. I'll bet Hertz will price them the same as luxury cars and SUV's. If you want to save on fuel costs- it'll cost you dearly!

jtori

TDI
2012 JSW, 2012 Jetta Sedan
Hertz TDIs

I think this is a good marketing move. It will expose people to diesels who might otherwise not experience them.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
I know I won't be buying any car, Diesel or otherwise, that comes out of a rental fleet.
X2. We rented a suburban during an excursion in Montana. That thing went through more abuse than I have ever seen a vehicle go through. The driver lost a bumper and the engine was smoking. At the Billings, MT rental agency we just pulled up, told them the problems we had with it and they said ok and took back the key :eek:. People don't take care of cars when it isn't there car.

Though I wouldn't mind renting a newer TDI for the weekend just to enjoy it. :D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Just hope the correct oil is used, too.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
X2. We rented a suburban during an excursion in Montana. That thing went through more abuse than I have ever seen a vehicle go through. The driver lost a bumper and the engine was smoking. At the Billings, MT rental agency we just pulled up, told them the problems we had with it and they said ok and took back the key :eek:. People don't take care of cars when it isn't there car.
That part always amazes me because I am quite the opposite. If I use something that belongs to someone else, I will do my best to return it in better condition than when I got it.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Rental cars lead hard lives. E brake on and boil the front tires. Handbrake turns at 60 mph. Cold start valve train test (full throttle, turn the key). Threshold braking exercises until fade sets in and smoke rolls out of the wheelwells. Cornfield suspension test. I would not buy one either :D

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Great durability testing, rentals are.

I know Hyundai's have good back bumpers. After I backed a rental into a concrete pole in Galveston.

As far as misfuels, I'd worry about the clowns at the rental agency!!

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Good Rental Cars

I rent cars almost every week from Hertz all over the US and sometimes Europe. I have never had one that seemed to have been abused except for some that had been smoked in.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm sure Hertz will indemnify themselves with the proper paperwork with the financial misfortune befalling the customer. Don't know their maintenance policy but I can't imagine them using the dealer. Their motorpool mechanics are in for some Germanic surprises. Let's hope they do better than the dealers (ya right).

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
I work for the city government here in Chattanooga. General Services has 5 or 6 TDIs, 2009 or 2010 models, in their lease fleet we can check out for out-of-town trips. Took one to Chicago for a training class and was tickled to do so. Don't know if anyone's misfueled any of them yet but they come with a big note to only fuel them with diesel at the downtown pumps (or if you go out of town, you're on your own).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Something just occurred to me...there's a fairly large Ford dealer near me that for years has rented Fords and the operation isn't just connected to their service dept/body shop and isn't run by Enterprise of anything like that.It is,essentially,a stand alone rental agency.I'm wondering if any VW dealers are known to do that kind of thing.I'd *love* to be able to rent a 4 cylinder VW (or Audi) TDI for a day or two in anticipation of my MB being stolen and not recovered,totaled,etc.:eek:
Two of the toyota ealers here in Charlotte offer rentals on most of their line. Their claim is that it gives the consumer a long term test drive and the option to really use the car. I've not tried it but have wondered aobut getting a tacoma for doing yard work.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
when I was out west in Alberta last month, I saw a Jetta TDI rental from Budget.

It had a huge "DIESEL" sticker above the fuel door.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
my wife rarely uses the jsw but when she does i make certain the tank is full and she doesn't have to refuel. i insist that she 'not be nice and fill'er up to say thanks' in case of a 'gas mis-fuel'. at first glance, tdi rentals are a great option and may convert a few gashounds to the merits of diesel but my paranoia means i will likely not rent a diesel in north america. i don't want to pay for the last guy's or the agency's stupidity once i sign off on the paperwork. in europe, where diesel is commonplace, there are probably more diesel mis-fuellings of gassers than vice-versa!

t1n0m3n

TDI
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
Umm, maybe an $8 - $10K hold on your credit card instead of the usual $100.00:D?
Misfueling would be the same as any other accident... That is why one should always carry good insurance.

Eat at Joe's

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW

That part always amazes me because I am quite the opposite. If I use something that belongs to someone else, I will do my best to return it in better condition than when I got it.
X 2. I can't stand driving a dirty vehicle. When I rent a vehicle- I return it in as good or better shape than when I pick it up. Knowing the mess that bugs cause-I usually wax the front end and at least part of the hood then rain-x the windshield. Heck- when I returned my Penske 16 ft. truck- they paid ME $25 for the fact that they didn't have to do any cleaning.

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
Cars that are popular rental fleet cars tend to have week resale values. This is my concern. Values drop when rental companys dump lots of cars on the used car market.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Cars that are popular rental fleet cars tend to have week resale values. This is my concern. Values drop when rental companys dump lots of cars on the used car market.
I think you put the cart before the horse. Car manufacuturers drive down the resale value of cars by throwing the models into rental and fleet pools. That's why the tauras was the number one selling car for years. Most of them were going to rental lots or fleets. I have no problems with getting a diesel for a rental car. Beats my having to worry about putting diesel into the gas tank of most of the rentals. In 2009, the Avis lot in LA had a few new Jettas, which I am sure were gassers, but I have never seen them out there since.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
In all my traveling since taking my desk job in 2008, I have only been offered a VW once. That was a Jetta in I believe San Jose, and it was of course a gasser. Since it was almost identical to my existing car at the time (mine was a package 2, this was a base model) it made a very pleasant trip. I knew where all the knobs were and how everything worked!

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I searched Hertz at the airports I sometimes go to: LEX, SDF, DEN, SLC & SFO - the "Green Traveller Collection" option produced NO Jettas at all, least of all TDIs. Can't misfuel what is not there. The choices in the Green Traveller Collection are not very green, IMO.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
We rented a 26 foot Penske diesel when we moved my son.

Had to sign a waiver that I was responsible for any damage if gas was pumped into the system.

I could just imagine what's going to happen with the TDI rentals.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they state on the waiver that the renter, not his insurance or credit card company, is soley responsible for any damage to the car for filling with the worng fuel, I bet not many non-diesel owners will rent them. Then Hertz can say that having a TDI VW was not a good investment since no one wants to rent them.

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
I couldn't find any TDIs anywhere in the system.... I must have been doing something wrong.
I couldn't find any either so we both must be doing something wrong.I sent a message through their "contact us" section asking where I could rent one...I wonder if I'll get a replay.