What tires did you replace your stock Conti's with???

jku72

TDI
2011 sportwagen
I think you are right, its the roads...but in combination with the low profile tires. The roads are very uneven, crowned, etc, and low profile tires wear rather than conform to the surface. I love the VW, but the achilles heel is the ride height and tire sidewall limitations...for Maine.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I think you are right, its the roads...but in combination with the low profile tires. The roads are very uneven, crowned, etc, and low profile tires wear rather than conform to the surface. I love the VW, but the achilles heel is the ride height and tire sidewall limitations...for Maine.
Get some OEM 16" wheels then :p
Tires are much cheaper in that size anyway :cool:

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Any thoughts on Pirelli P7 Cintuaro Plus? Any other tires to recommend me to get?

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3, I really like them, not sure about winter performance but I live in Maryland not so much snow.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3, I really like them, not sure about winter performance but I live in Maryland not so much snow.
LOL we still have ice. And following the last few years I think that snow is a very real issue we contend with.

That said if it's that bad they normally close the roads anyway :cool:

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Last edited:

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Got new 235/45/17 Continential PureContact with EcoPlus mounted on my TDI this morning. Hmm, I can feel the difference between Conti and Michelin PS AS3. Conti is more smoother and quieter than the Michelin.

Quesiton!

Can the 235/45/17 Michelin PS AS3 fit the 17" VW Porto wheels? So that way my brother and I can sell it as a set. LET ME KNOW ASAP!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Quesiton!

Can the 235/45/17 Michelin PS AS3 fit the 17" VW Porto wheels? So that way my brother and I can sell it as a set. LET ME KNOW ASAP!
They are both 17" wheels, why wouldn't they fit? I can't imagine there being a big difference in width either.

derbo

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6spd
I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot AS3s. Independence Day Sale provided a $100 rebate so I jumped on it since I had a flat two days ago.

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Any thoughts on Pirelli P7 Cintuaro Plus? Any other tires to recommend me to get?
Put these on my car after 59k of stock Conti's with on my MK6 Golf. As soon as I drove off the first thing I noticed was how quiet the cabin was compared to the Conti's!

camper12

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I replaced mine this past Monday with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. So far I like them very much. Low noise and excellent hold/handling. Got them through my local VW dealer who price matched with BJ's.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I replaced mine this past Monday with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. So far I like them very much. Low noise and excellent hold/handling. Got them through my local VW dealer who price matched with BJ's.
You will love them, I went with new 17"rims (were 16") and Primacy MXM4's about 35,000 miles ago. They are welling well and handle great.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
I'm at 75k on the stock tires still and haven't gotten fully down to the wear bars. I have no complaints on the stocks or brand so I bought a set of Continental Pure Contacts. Any tire that gives me that kind of mileage along with good overall agility I'm sticking with it. Loved my stock Conti's on my 2004 PD as well. Got the same mileage out of them with satisfactory driveability in conditions as well. All the complaints I read about the stock tires, I don't see, or I'm just not as critical maybe but they served me well. The pure contacts look nice, can't wait to have them installed tomorrow. I do 1300 miles a week currently, it's gonna be nice to have some fresh tread!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i went with the Pirelli P7 Cintuaro ( LLR) 225/40/18. Even though i stepped up from 17 to 18 i hardy ever see the MPG drop, its pretty much what I was getting with 17s

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
i went with the Pirelli P7 Cintuaro ( LLR) 225/40/18. Even though i stepped up from 17 to 18 i hardy ever see the MPG drop, its pretty much what I was getting with 17s
What wheels did you go with?
I'm guessing that they are fairly lightweight?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
What wheels did you go with?
I'm guessing that they are fairly lightweight?
VW Motorsports 18x7.5 ET51, not sure how heavy they are, some say 22.5lb, but they look good

rcbarnes

TDI
2010 VW TDI Golf
Have Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons, but by circumstances not selection

Got talked into Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season today (small town, accute need after getting a flat on my utterly exhausted tires, so I had limited in stock options). I'll post my experience with them if anyone cares about this relatively low cost option.

Timmins11

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Bridgestone DriveGuard

I will need a new set of tires in about 20,000 miles, with 16" rims on the car. Has anyone tried Bridgestone DriveGuards? The run-flat technology seems good on that tire, from what I can tell from reading reviews.

Lord Foul

TDI
Golf
They are both 17" wheels, why wouldn't they fit? I can't imagine there being a big difference in width either.
They're 7 inch wide wheels, and 235/45-17 tires are supposed to be fitted on wheels that are 7.5 to 9 inches wide. So yes, there is a difference. The stock 225/45 tires are already as wide as you should go with the stock wheels.

I'm not saying that they won't fit. In all likelihood, they will. But such a fitment would violate Michelin recommendations.

kenmcchord

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just ordered the Continential Extremecontact DWS 06 set from tire rack, seems like a good all weather set. Once they get on I will report my results. Driving a '13 jetta sportwagen TDI.

btw I got over 60k on the original conti procontacts, not bad results really except that they got a little noisy these last 10-15k miles. Looking forward to the improvement!

impulse922

TDI
a3
A3 owner checking in here, does the golf/Jetta/sportwagen come with XL rated tires?

Trying to narrow my choices before discount tire tells me they will only put on XL rated tires. Performance based all seasons like the a/s3 and the dws06 aren't avail in XL and severely cuts down on tire choice in 225/45/17.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
A3 owner checking in here, does the golf/Jetta/sportwagen come with XL rated tires?

Trying to narrow my choices before discount tire tells me they will only put on XL rated tires. Performance based all seasons like the a/s3 and the dws06 aren't avail in XL and severely cuts down on tire choice in 225/45/17.
I don't think so. I installed the v rated purecontacts in the same size roughly 30k miles ago with no ill effects. I did a pretty extensive review on them earlier in this thread.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Just got the Michelin defender 205's 91H for just over 500 bucks with VW price match. Had to goto two different dealerships though and was a hassle to get the price match accepted. Got what I wanted however. I can tell these tires roll very well. Braking distance has increased and can feel that have to use more foot brake to slow the vehicle down. I'm pretty impressed so far and can't wait to see how they do on a real road trip!~

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
Had original contis for 55k until they were all almost bald, held up surprisingly well though.

Replaced those with MIchelin Primacy MXM4 which were such a beautiful tire but only lasted 52K before a sidewall exploded causing an almost 12" tear in the tire while driving 70 mph on the highway going west @ 4AM on Toll Road I80. Had a decent amount of tread left on those but boy they were getting noisy by the end, it was rather disappointing.

Stuck in the middle of nowhere Illinois, I decided to replace all 4 with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. Very nice tire so far, only 5k on these babies but their asymmetrical design are really neat and rides nice and quiet. Handles really well in wet weather and waiting for a snowy day to see how they do then.