FS: 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Best Offer

jumping_mouse

TDI
looking to buy
Louisa County (Central VA)

A/T, "all options except sunroof", all service records, new tires, new inspection, changed oil every 3000 miles (he said he was too old fashioned to let it go 10,000) Mostly hwy (country hwy that is) miles. T/B changed at 70,000. Burgandy/Tan. 540-967-2022

I looked at this car knowing full well I couldn't afford it, but since he didn't list a price and it was nearby, I thought what the heck...well I was right, it's too much (for me) but he is eager to sell and is looking for a reasonable offer. The car is in great shape from what (my inexperienced yet critical eye can see) and he changed the timing belt at 70K--not sure why he did it early, you'll have to ask. He did say the local mechanic did the work and I wonder if he was TDI savvy. I drove it, it handled fine, sounds and looks great. He's a nice guy and will work with you (if you're nice to him of course.)

Tell him Melissa sent you.

jumpingmouse

TDI
none yet
2005 Jetta Wagon

Yes, I decided not to get into the price thing, but I'll tell you this, I balked at spending $7500 on an '02 sedan with 160,000 needing the new timing belt, but otherwise in great shape with all service records from an obviously obsessive guy. It sold a day before I decided to clinch the deal. Now I'm kicking myself.

Let's just say this guy with the wagon would like a fair price--would probably go for KBB price.

BTW, I forgot to mention. It has 95,000 miles on it.

AND, I'm still in the market for a sedan (maybe a wagon), definitely prefer 5-spd for ~$8000.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
jumpingmouse said:
Yes, I decided not to get into the price thing, but I'll tell you this, I balked at spending $7500 on an '02 sedan with 160,000 needing the new timing belt, but otherwise in great shape with all service records from an obviously obsessive guy. It sold a day before I decided to clinch the deal. Now I'm kicking myself.

Let's just say this guy with the wagon would like a fair price--would probably go for KBB price.

BTW, I forgot to mention. It has 95,000 miles on it.

AND, I'm still in the market for a sedan (maybe a wagon), definitely prefer 5-spd for ~$8000.
Here's a couple of recent threads:

2002 VW JETTA TDI WAGON SILVER GLS BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR WITH ONLY 64,603 MILES - $15,750
2005 Dark Blue Jetta GLS Wagon TDI, $13,800
and eppsax for $11K.

So the price is all over the "board".

I want a preESP so I can jack it up.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
jumpingmouse said:
The true market price of TDI's changed so much in such a short period of time that the price guides like KBB/NADA/Edmunds.com haven't realized it yet. As noted, eppsax's 2005 Jetta wagon showed $15k on one guide, and he hasn't been able to sell it for $11k (it's killin' me...I'm so tempted to make a trip to KY...)

If this guy you're referring to gets KBB price, he'll be doing well, because he'll be getting a deal.

jumping_mouse

TDI
looking to buy
frugality said:
The true market price of TDI's changed so much in such a short period of time ...
If this guy you're referring to gets KBB price, he'll be doing well, because he'll be getting a deal.
Yes, bad for him, good for me, since I'm in the market to buy. Still, I'd probably be happier with a 5 spd, perhaps <2003 or 2004 ( before whenever the nefarious pd engines came out) I also want a light color, etc, and I really rather spend ~8000 or less. I could not in my good conscience offer him that. I already made him a ridiculous offer that I'm embarrassed to state and it was still more than I wanted to spend.

There! that's all the hint I'm giving you. I'm just trying to help this guy out and advertise it beyond the local "bulletin board" newspaper to give him half a chance to sell it. He's already put a deposit on a 2009 and needs to recoup some money. He's eager to sell.

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
2003 Jetta wagon..Sportswagon!

$16000
I am putting my Silverbox up for sale. 160000KM and runs like a top. You can see from my signature what has been done to the car and there are other things which are not in the list.
2 sets of avus wheels one with Michelin PA2 winter tires (on car now)
2nd set with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (new last spring)
4 extra cat filters
1extra bypass filter
3 extra oil filters
Pad heater on oilpan with Marinco plug on front left grill
VW winter grill covers.
Molded floor mats for winter(better than Monster mats) carpet mats for summer
USA spec Ipod adaptor in arm rest
Q- loader (early type) and various tunes.
There was some rust on the front left fender and on the drivers door seam and also in the seems on the tailgate all three parts wewe replaced By VW under warranty.
The car is amazing . I am particularly proud of how it handles with the peloquin and the spring rates and fsd's this is not your average J-wagon.
Thats why the price is what it is.
I know it will only be worth this to an enthusiast, thats why I'm listing it here and not Kijiji.

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
frugality said:
The true market price of TDI's changed so much in such a short period of time that the price guides like KBB/NADA/Edmunds.com haven't realized it yet. As noted, eppsax's 2005 Jetta wagon showed $15k on one guide, and he hasn't been able to sell it for $11k (it's killin' me...I'm so tempted to make a trip to KY...)
Not to crap on this thread, but the above post is dead on. Based on my last purchase, the book values of these cars is way off. If I were selling one now, I would keep i & wait for the market to turn, and it will.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Bob S. said:
Not to crap on this thread, but the above post is dead on. Based on my last purchase, the book values of these cars is way off. If I were selling one now, I would keep i & wait for the market to turn, and it will.
^ what he said. I have seen more TDIs out there for sale in the last month or two then I have ever seen before. Including rare birds like B4V. So many of them out there now the market is flooded, the new 09s are out and 50-state legal with a $1,300 tax credit, gas is way down, etc. Not to crap on this thread, but anyone selling a TDI right now should reconsider if possible. As someone mentioned to me in another thread....this isn't the best time of year to sell anyway. OTOH if you are looking to buy a used TDI right now there are some deals out there.

The blue books are important because not everyone can afford to pay cash for a 10 or 15k car, so they will need to get a loan from their bank....if the blue books say 8k and they are trying to sell it for 12k that isn't going to float with the bank. Also, if something happens and they wreck the car after they get it...they are out 4k. There are some things that go by the blue book....but as far as what in individual car is worth it depends on many factors and the blue books are just a ballpark.

Just my two cents.

newbury

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Since this thread has gone OT -
A great place to get a judge for local and national prices is
http://foobert.com/carhunt.html which searches craigslist.

I've been watching it since August and now the DAILY posts are getting up around the 120 to 160. They used to be about 100.

There are also "spurts" of scams on there - you'll find the same car at a low price in several different posts, I've found cars being sold by what I ASSUME are owners, and the same car and picture selling by someone else at a much higher price. When I contact what I consider the owner they tell me that yes - the other seller had not even contacted them.

So take craigslist with a block of salt, it'll raise your blood pressure but it is a good guide.

I'm still looking for a pre ESP beater wagon.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
no-blue-screen said:
^ what he said. I have seen more TDIs out there for sale in the last month or two then I have ever seen before. Including rare birds like B4V... OTOH if you are looking to buy a used TDI right now there are some deals out there..
You can say that again. I've never seen so many B4Vs for sale here on Fred's. Some are still commanding good money but most are relatively cheap when compared with 6-8 months ago.