Tips or tricks from MK6 front strut replacement

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Jack the wheel up and spin it to identify the sound.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I did that and had a hard time identifying if a heard anything out of the ordinary tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
So I did that and had a hard time identifying if a heard anything out of the ordinary tbh

The MyTurboDiesel video I watched advised me to turn the wheel and hold the strut assy to check for a bad bearing... I didn’t feel any crunchiness or anything.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
It's not as simple as the thin metal screens around the rotors being bent and now rubbing on the rotors? In which case take the wheel off again and bend them back into shape.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
It's not as simple as the thin metal screens around the rotors being bent and now rubbing on the rotors? In which case take the wheel off again and bend them back into shape.

First thing I looked at lmao when I heard the noise I said to myself “I done f*** up my dust guards” indeed they are Ok and not touching the rotor.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
That's a good point. Not too many things that could be rubbing really. Strut bearings installed in the proper orientation?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Yeah, I thought that as well (I panicked on my first side because I forgot how it goes back together) but after taking apart the second side I indeed but everything together the strut assemblies correctly. Plus I have no noise what so ever when turning.. it’s strictly with the rotation of the drivetrain.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Only moving parts are the brake rotors, wheel bearings and axles. Nothing rubbing on an axle? Did any pebbles or debris get stuck in the brakes?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
My current theory is maybe I over tighten the axles and damaged the bearings? Or maybe handled the cv joints incorrectly ?

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
That's a good point. Not too many things that could be rubbing really. Strut bearings installed in the proper orientation?

What do you mean by strut bearings, are you talking about the strut mounts?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
What do you mean by strut bearings, are you talking about the strut mounts?

It’s 2 parts strut mount and the bearing the bearing is sandwiched between the mount and the coil spring.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
It’s 2 parts strut mount and the bearing the bearing is sandwiched between the mount and the coil spring.

Gotcha. I reused the factory strut mount and nothing came apart so I’m assuming it’s all good.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Anyway I’m taking it to a German shop tomorrow... I don’t have the time or energy to stress out about this lol I’ll update on what resolves it when I find out. Thanks everyone.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Only moving parts are the brake rotors, wheel bearings and axles. Nothing rubbing on an axle? Did any pebbles or debris get stuck in the brakes?

So just got off the phone with the shop.. it is indeed my passenger side wheel bearing. They told me these style of bearing don’t really get damaged by over tighten (I feel better that I didn’t F it up) their theory is at one point the bearing was probably messed up and it created a groovy it was riding in for awhile and when I took it all apart it centered itself and came out of the groove.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
So just got off the phone with the shop.. it is indeed my passenger side wheel bearing. They told me these style of bearing don’t really get damaged by over tighten (I feel better that I didn’t F it up) their theory is at one point the bearing was probably messed up and it created a groovy it was riding in for awhile and when I took it all apart it centered itself and came out of the groove.

Good to know it was not a mistake of yours, bummer to have to have it replaced though! Is your car still under warranty?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Good to know it was not a mistake of yours, bummer to have to have it replaced though! Is your car still under warranty?

Na it has 118k on it

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
This is a classic case of “opening up a can of worms” lmao