ALH with 3 turbos !

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
no , the bta would have a closer pattern but they dont fit our bodys. but they make up for it in volume , I am about to get a set of bosio 7 hole, local guy is putting his back to stock and going to do some trading . I know what your saying though about the spray , I just hope the bosio's flow as much as something maid to fuel 1L/cyl , because I am no where close to having enough fuel as it is . I get a little cloud where I take off from and thats it . Before the added turbos I was smoke city ! only time will tell , and you can bet I will post of it soon as it happens

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
well to be honest the original plan was to build a standard compound setup , but I didnt have the money at the time to go get an external wastegate , and at the same time had an extra VNT15 , so just to keep from just slinging one apart by not being able to control its speed after the big turbo spooled I decided to go twins to allow for exhaust flow needed to turn the HY, spool the twins, and have control all at the same time....it wouldnt be any good if not for the VNT's , they still turn pretty good in neutral now :D

shadowmaker said:
Nicely done! And I thought that my compound-VNTs would be a ***** to install on a van...

Why using two HP turbos (2xVNT15)? Just for the hell of it or is there some higher mathematics/experience behind it? I thought a single VNT15 would pair up nicely with something like HY35.

No external wastegates on those HP turbos?

Thumbs up for this project!:cool:

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
dont we know it , sometimes thats the fun part , making something work that shouldnt:cool:

Whitbread said:
It's amazing what one can do in a very short amount of time with the right pieces of machinery :cool:.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
do a little reading around here about the bosio 7 holes... They aren't great nozzles from what people are saying, unless they make a different line now..

Contact Nicktane and see what he's got.. I know he makes some crazy nozzles.. Even with an 11mm pump, 250whp shouldn't be an issue with 5 hole race nozzles..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
+1..

Stg7 are a bit too big, but a little smaller might still run well at low rpm's and provide quite a bit for top end, definatly use 12mm head an a big liftpump, bump case pressure etc

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Get your ecu tuned if you're underfueled! And dont touch the seven hole bosios even with a long stick. They are just utter crap.

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
hatemi said:
Get your ecu tuned if you're underfueled! And dont touch the seven hole bosios even with a long stick. They are just utter crap.

....something I came to find out the hard way :mad:

go with Nicktanes or even DSS Ultime 2s maybe plus 12 or 14mm head

dbeck_01

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
i think the flow patterns are screwed up from the 7holes. and i believe whitbread had someones car where they cracked the piston

Last edited:

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
dbeck_01 said:
i think the flow patterns are screwed up from the 7holes. and i believe whitbread had someones car where they cracked the piston
That would be my car...:mad:

I think plenty of fueling should be available with bigger pump head and current 5-hole offerings. Perhaps 7 hole technology is better in the truck world??

Hats off to an awesome project

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
. My stuff may not make the world record HP for TDI , but its fun and different . I do fully intend on working on this untill it does make some hella power , and then for who ever is interested I will jig up to mine and make it into as close to a bolt on kit as I can . Since any I sell will be off a jig the parts will be interchangeable so if for any reason you needed 1 thing I can just send that one part. Mine is just a prototype , and I didnt spend a lot of time on the looks because I figure there would be changes , and I dont see the point of cutting something apart I spent a lot of time to make look like a production run . However the ones to come will be close to the quality of work whitebread does . As we all know that boys work is what ya want !
here are some of my SS tig welds just for example . But let me get all the bugs worked out, I have a lot of experience with this stuff and before I offer something I want it to be right ...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You're doing it the right way, GSX. How are you controlling the 2 VNT15s and the HY, respectively?

Respect for the packaging work!

gogobug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
danielhf said:
I can't wait for you to embarrass "some dude and his Mustang!"
As much as I like that idea :D... you have a good chance of putting some hurt on a new V6 mustang @ a 13.8-13.9 1/4 mile, but the V8's are now in the 12's off the show room floor! --and you have to deal with traction issues.

Last edited:

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
well I cant afford to drag race anyway LOL I do my thing in the real world on the street (which is highly illegal and I am not promoting in any way !) but its "run what ya brung and hope ya brung enough" It would be really cool if I end up having traction problems at say 60MPH though:D I did have a guy the other day in a hot duramax try to get around me and was denied all the way to about 130 !:p when we both decided to get out of it . And a smart mouth kid with a VR6 left a gas station in a crawl after a glance under my hood , but not before some comments that "maid" me open the hood in the first place;)

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
as much as I hate to I am being forced to put this project on hold :confused: . Someone thought is would be fun to see how fast a vnt15 with no oil spins when impinged with 175psi air nozzle blast at the comp :mad:

Not to worry though , I am not scrapping it , just looks like quite a few people are becoming interested in a standard compound , so I have decided to design a system that will drive like stock off the line as far as lag and hopfully be enough air for near 300whp without a sag in the power curve;) I am taking delevery on a new Miller Dynasty 350 tomorrow so from now on things will look a lot better over all. I will pull my hair out so you dont have to guys , give me oh say a month and I should be able to have it put together and ready to start sending a couple of them out :D I will start a new thread on this one in a couple of days , I expect to have a lot of it ready for first go by the weekend . Pics asap !

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
As much as I hate to say this, I'll believe it when I see it. Dont get me wrong, I'm rooting for you and really really really want to see what you can do, but we've learned before that saying and doing are 2 different things. Lurkermike (savage diesel) and his pipes taught us, you never know what is going to get in your way.

Fingers crossed for you, but until it materializes, its just vapor.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I'm curious how you're planning to limit torque while you're pumping out 300hp... Aren't you worried about your transmission? Differential? I'd have to guess that torque would be in the neighborhood of 500ft/lbs. I hate to say it, but I think this is just going to break stuff.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
manual_tranny said:
I'm curious how you're planning to limit torque while you're pumping out 300hp... Aren't you worried about your transmission? Differential? I'd have to guess that torque would be in the neighborhood of 500ft/lbs. I hate to say it, but I think this is just going to break stuff.
02M, especially 4motion version can take quite a bit of abuse.. I would worry sooner for outer CV joints..

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
he probaly hasn't but I just mentioned it =)

02A/02J can"t handle it if you use the power daily

manual_tranny

TDI
Rub87 said:
I would worry sooner for outer CV joints..
Funny you mention this. As far as I know, you can't buy the CV joints to the axles that attach to the 02M.. you have to buy the whole axles. There are no good Chinese alternatives, you can only get these axles from "www.raxles.com"
They are approx $350.00 per side!!

If anybody knows different please let me know, I'm planning to repair a VR6 this week and if we could send back the $350 axle and order just the CV joint my buddy would be thrilled.

All this is just to say- if this is a "daily driver" with "300hp", it's going to get expensive fast.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I can order 02M CV's from the dealer, something like £100 each, the complete axles are nearer £500 last time i checked!

manual_tranny

TDI
*sigh* Local dealer said they couldn't get them. The guys in the parts department have failed me so many times. I'll bet they could have gotten them if they cared. £100 is about $150, + shipping from England is probably in the ballpark of $200. He has some wear on "good" CVs so I will recommend he spend his next paycheck on one of these.

Back to topic: GSX700WHP, if you get to 300hp you'll have to be running an 02M minimum. The www.raxles.com axles claim to use stronger Porsche CV joint. You might want to consider this if you "end up having traction problems at say 60MPH". ;)

gsx700whp

Veteran Member
TDI
98 beetle alh
thanks for the great info guys , I did say 300HP but that doesent mean it had to be making that on a daily basis. My goal here is to have a system that is capable of making the power if you want it , boost can always be adjusted , as well as fuel as we all know . I am just seeing a lot of guys on here talking about compounds , and having looked around on the net I dont see anyone that offers something off the shelf . You all saw me make the tripple work ( granted I did not supply the dyno's I said I would) , and I will work on that and get it where I want it . However I have been wanting something like this to do to be fully out on my own in work . I now have a 40x80 4 bay building , 2 post lift , hydro bender(not mandrel) but looing for mandrel) the best tig machine you can get , various other tooling , and the experience . All it takes is time to build and blow up things , when things blow up you either beef it up or back something down unitll its usable . Is this right or wrong ? I am sure there are quite a few people that would like to be able to buy a compound turbo setup . As we all know when you are that far into it anything can go wrong like the pic of the blown tranny , but when that happend what did you do ? Im sure you got another one and worked around it , right ? I personally am a turbo freek , and even if not being used to the max I love to be able to pop the hood and say "hell yeah there is 3 turbos in there" ! but thats me and once again I will admit I am a freek . There is no need for 3 turbos , and really 1 is fine for most applications on the tdi , but whoever out there that likes to tinker with their car a lot but doesent have the fabrication skills or equipment and wants a compound turbo system for their tdi should have one available to them . Can we all agree on this ? I live in the real world and there is nothing that I know of and or that will ever be "perfect" , and everyone has a little different taste . I WILL do my best to provide a great compound at a reasonable price . Thats all I am trying to say , and like I have said before I will show all proof of what I have BEFORE I ask anyone to pay money for what I have to offer. And if no one is interested in buying it that just means more turbos for me :)