3.0 TDI EXT Warranty- REAR main seal covered?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Only the VW dealer will be able to answer that question with any certainty. I would think not though as it isn't an emissions part and it isn't internal to the engine itself. Give the dealer a call though.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Generally only things internal to the block are covered. But as I said the dealer is the only one who can make the real call here.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed

I had originally made another post, but took a closer at these documents. It looks like these cover the 2.0L vehicles...

BTW-Good find on these docs, these should be stickies.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter (SCR), Reducing Agent (AdBlue®)
Injector, other Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system components, Diesel
Particulate Filter (DPF) including Oxidation Catalytic Converter, the
exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all sensors and actuators;
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and
actuators;
 The charge air temperature sensor and air-mass sensor;
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;
 The glow plug;
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected
by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related
to the transmission
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train.
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three
hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions
warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts
concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.
More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is
available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we
sent to you previously.
Customer Notices
If you choose to keep your vehicle but decline the emissions
modification at this time, you should be aware that certain
emissions-related replacement and repair parts may at some point
no longer be available from Volkswagen. Accordingly, in the future,
if your unmodified vehicle requires maintenance and repairs of the
emissions system we may need to install parts associated with the
emissions modification, or, in some cases, install all aspects of the
emissions modification. You should not have any issues with the
ability of your vehicle to pass the inspection and maintenance test.
This may lead to changes to your vehicle’s operation or performance
resulting from those modifications as discussed in this booklet.
If the vehicle has been modified by the customer prior to receiving
the emissions modification in a manner that may yield a non-compliant
emissions system (for example, removal of a catalyst, installation of
parts that impact emissions or emissions-related parts, or modifications
to the ECU or computer software of the vehicle), Volkswagen may not
be able to perform the emissions modification until the customer
corrects such modification.
Transferability
This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent
owners.
Warranty Notices
All normal warranty provisions remain in effect.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I had originally made another post, but took a closer at these documents. It looks like these cover the 2.0L vehicles...

BTW-Good find on these docs, these should be stickies.
I would love to see the document for the 3.0. It must be available somewhere.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It is challenging to properly assemble the block in to an engine without seals. It may be that seals are only covered as part of other covered repairs. It still could not hurt to try and push.

bldr

TDI
2013 Q7 TDI
3.0 TDI EXT Warranty- REAR main seal covered!

My dealership was waiting a day for receiving approval from the big Audi office. Finally, the approval was announced: the rear main seal leak is covered by the TDI extended warranty! Phew!

euromarko

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 1976 Mercedes 300D
I have the same issue and dealer is saying its not covered. Anyone have anything i can reference?

Ncburch22

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I’m scheduled for appointment to have my rear main seal and rear diff flange seal replaced this coming Monday at VW Austin. I’ve gathered every document I can find pertaining to the 10yr/100k mike warranty on my 2012 TDI. It also carries the emissions 4yr/48k mile warranty, but the 10yr/100k outlines word for word that the seals and gaskets are covered. For those stating your TDI’s weren’t covered are you located in the US or Canada? I expect the dealership to fight the warranty claim so I’ve already contacted VW America regarding these fixes as some owners have had their same exact issues repaired at $0 cost to them. I’ll update when possible.

Ronvanb

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Rear main seal covered under warranty. 3.0 TDI

We just got our Q7 back from the dealer. It was there a month. Gave us a 2020 A6 loaner. They said without the warranty it would have been $7000 to fix. This was covered under the emissions bridge warranty. Zero cost to us. They said they had to pull engine and transmission. I wouldn’t see why. I would figure just the transmission would have been enough. But.....it is covered. So, if your dealer says no then call Audi corporate. There is a bulletin with all the items covered under the emissions warranty, and rear main seal is on it.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Thanks @ronvanb

Ive got a leak on the rear of my motor, dont think its the main seal.. had it up on a lift (thats when I found it) and it looks like its coming from timing chain cover on passenger side and would require engine removal to address it.

I'm less than a quart low by 10k mile oil changes, not dripping in driveway so I can live with it.. but its aggravating because low oil light has came on twice while on vacation (we crank up a ton of millage then).. soo I'mna take it in and see if the'll fix it, worst case I'm just out a diagnostics fee right?

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I decided to live with it, its not bad enough I wanna risk dealer techs making something worse yanking the engine out or fight w/em over covering it..

Just gonna void the warranty and roll on

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
nevermind, went to go tune it and the rear main is the source of issue.. its at Audi dealership right now getting diagnosed.. cross fingers.. Was using my buddy's bay at a VW dealership to work on it and a few techs looked at it and all agreed it was rear main.

They put me in a blue Q5 hybrid, goddamn is this loaner sexxy..

Found the PDF for extended emissions coverage for my engine, here it is: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10144658-9999.pdf

Last edited:

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
I’ve got the same leak. This TSB was posted elsewhere in the forum and includes several possible origins. “Crankshaft oil seal, flywheel end” and “Oil pan (upper)” are listed under the warranty policy, hope one is the source.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/110855/A101613

Of course a service manager told me it might be covered under the long block provision of the extended emissions warranty but estimated $8k to pull the engine to investigate. I’ve chosen to live with the leak.

Please let us know how it works out.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
eh the other stated cause is the flywheel bolt you'd have to take out and replace to do the main seal anyhow.. so this comes down to, upper oil pan - covered, or replace main seal - covered.. both repairs would fix it, just depends on how the dealer wants to play it.. Anytime you get down to the flywheel you put in a new main seal just because you are there and they are so cheap.

Audi Denver has been good to me in the past, so lets see how this plays out.. even if its the bolt the tech just has to say it was the main and its fixed.. it was just in for the fix, they told me to do the brakes, so I told em I was doing brakes and they found the leak, I called em up and they said that sure sounds like it'd be covered and I drove it down street and dropped it off within 20mins.

SA is out on monday and said he'd call me on Tuesday with diagnosis.. the downpipe and delete kit is literally in a box in the back of the Q7 still heh.

Last edited:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
From TSB:
Evidence of oil loss, leaks, or drips on underbody (Figure 1).
Evidence of oil loss may appear in any of the following
areas:
• Side on upper oil sump in area of long bolts.
• Sealing flange securing bolts to upper oil sump.
• Thread in crankshaft to attachment of drive plate/flywheel.
• Oil seal of crankshaft (gearbox side) leaks.
So in list of parts covered, thats:
* Oil Pan (upper) - 1726
* Oil Pan (upper) - 1726
* Crankshaft - 1348
* Crankshaft oil seal, flywheel end - 1359

The first two are oil sump leaks, aka oil pan.. so faulty upper oil pan.
The third one is bad threads in crankshaft, so its faulty crankshaft.
Last one is a faulty rear main seal..

Literally every potential source in that TSB should be covered by extended emissions warranty IMO

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Just got report from technician, its leaking both from upper oil pan and rear main.. getting covered by #dieselgate warranty...

Unfortunately their engine/transmission table are in use right now, so they said it could be a while before it gets addressed.

here's the video report: https://youtu.be/tLVvJjOrLD0

Last edited:

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
That is great news and good service from Audi Denver. I’ve been reluctant to tackle this with the only dealer I have access to as they’ve been sometimes reluctant participants in dieselgate. I think I’ll drop my off with a copy of the warranty policy and procedures bulletin.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
When I had it up on the lift I found power steering fluid leaking out the drivers side rack and pinion boot, as you can see in the photo I attached above of the bell housing the rack and pinion is completely saturated in motor oil.. this is fairly new occurrence, I found where it had been dripping in driveway and it was just a few drops and its not needed any PS fluid added since I've had it.

Next question is will they cover that as a casualty of the oil leak? lets see..

The water pump is gonna be super easy so I'll DIY that when I retrofit a westbao parking heater later this summer and just do a full coolant change since pulling the water pump will basically drain the block and doing the parking heater will drain the HVAC, just gotta drain rad and then all fresh coolant.. if I can get oil leaks, power steering leaks taken care of the coolant leak will be easy peasy and this dieselgate warranty will have proved to had been worth having, even if for a little bit.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If it's not covered, I have had good luck on a couple of Audis with changing out the fluid for Redline PSF. It seems to do a great job of cleaning out the system and conditioning the seals.