how to get key fob remote to work?

RickCJ7

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I bought a 2002 Jetta with only the valet key.
I have a remote for an 02. How do I get the remote to work with only 1 key?
Only directions I found says to turn on key and then lock door with 2nd key and press remote button to program.

RickCJ7

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I only have the valet key and a immo3 2002 remote, I hoped to just hook the valet to the remote and use it that way.

Can I use the valet key in the ignition switch, and remove the driver door lock and use a screw driver to lock and unlock the door to set the remote???

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
RickCJ7 said:
I only have the valet key and a immo3 2002 remote, I hoped to just hook the valet to the remote and use it that way.

Can I use the valet key in the ignition switch, and remove the driver door lock and use a screw driver to lock and unlock the door to set the remote???
Seriously? Why don't you just get another key? Your going to need it sooner or later anyway. It's cheaper to drive the car to someone that can code the key than to have the car towed there.
Also, I don't believe the 2002 remote will work for your 2000.

RickCJ7

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Windjammer said:
Seriously? Why don't you just get another key? .
The valet key works fine! If I can get the remote to work thats a plus, if not I'm not spending $$$ on a key/cutting/programming.

Car and remote are 2002

I'll let you know if removing the door lock works for programming.

Last edited:

cruisinflatout

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf. 1996 Golf.
RickCJ7 said:
The valet key works fine! If I can get the remote to work thats a plus, if not I'm not spending $$$ on a key/cutting/programming
It'll cost a lot more when you lose that one key though. Always have at least 2 keys for anything - when you don't, you'll eventually wish you had taken the time and money when you had the chance IMO.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
cruisinflatout said:
It'll cost a lot more when you lose that one key though. Always have at least 2 keys for anything - when you don't, you'll eventually wish you had taken the time and money when you had the chance IMO.
Especially if it's a VW.