Sucking oil through dipstick tube?

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
How effective is sucking out oil through the dipstick tube, compared to draining it from the bottom, when doing an oil change? Since the TDI oil filter is changeable from the top, sucking the oil out can avoid the need to use ramps or remove the bottom engine cover.

If it is effective, would a hand pump like the Jabsco Handy Boy (about $36) be reasonable, or would the automatic suction version like the one at Griot's Garage ($65) be a better choice?

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Originally posted by car 54:
the griots garage unit is the same as one made by Tempo available at boat stores everywhere. (and alot cheaper thru boat stores)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good -- I had previously searched Google for oil extractors and mostly came up with the Jabsco Handy Boy at online boat stores. The Tempo Oil Boy doesn't seem to show up.

The online boat stores are cheaper, but not that much cheaper (mostly around $50-55, though some cost as much as Griot's).

JerseyJettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 5 spd, atlantic blue
I have one of those units from Griot's and am very happy with it.

As you fish the hose down the dipstick tube you may hit a baffle in the oil pan. You just need to be sure that you make it past the baffle for maximum extraction. I also use it to suck excess oil out of the oil filter housing. Makes oil changes a 20 min job.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I like the Pela too. its the same as the tempo model I have. Find one for a good price and go with it. It'll make life alot easier.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Alot of forum members have chosen to do oil changes this way, and it seems to get the same amount out as a normal drain. the griots garage unit is the same as one made by Tempo available at boat stores everywhere. (and alot cheaper thru boat stores) Go for it, just make sure you get 4 quarts out (If you go to refill the engine and it only takes 3 quarts to fill up, you know you did somthing wrong, so measure as it comes out!)

Have fun. make sure to do it with warm oil so it flows quicker

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Originally posted by JerseyJettaTDI:
As you fish the hose down the dipstick tube you may hit a baffle in the oil pan. You just need to be sure that you make it past the baffle for maximum extraction.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did you cut the tube end at an angle? I was going to buy one of those after changing the oil last weekend when it was 15 degrees outside. Brr! I thought I can simplify it with that! But the baffle thing is what stops me. I know mickey took a picture somewhere in the Fuel and Lube section about the baffle. I think the subject is "To suck or not, That's the question."

M

mickey

If you get the tube past the oil baffle, you still need to force it to follow the angled part of the pan until it reaches the "true" bottom. I don't bother with this method on my TDI, though it works well on the Benz. (Mercedes has designed their cars for suction oil changes since the '70s.)

-mickey

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
Originally posted by AutoDiesel:
Another thing to do is cut a piece of copper tubing to stick down the dipstick tube so you don't have to fish the plastic tubing down to the bottem of the oil pan.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't mess with the plastic tubing, get a piece of copper tubing and use it. It goes right to the bottom of the oil pan. This is what all of the commercial shops do that use the vacuum method. Some of the large commercial type vacuum systems come with a variety of tubes of different sizes. Just connect the plastic tubing to the copper tubing with a piece of fuel hose.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
What's the best or required tube width and lenght for a TDI? Or more precisely, has anyone measured how much tube has to go into the dipstick to be sure that one gets past the baffle all the way to the bottom?

I notice that the Pela PL-650 comes with two tubes "3/16"  &  1/4"  OD, Length 47" each", while the Pela PL- 6000 comes with "Probe 3/16 OD, Length 43";  Clear Section 3/8" OD, Length 39" .

I really like the more compact and easier to handle PL-6000 and of course the lower price.

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by Boundless:
Check with SkyPup, he's real good at it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Clueless again?

JerseyJettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 5 spd, atlantic blue
Originally posted by DeafBug:
Did you cut the tube end at an angle? I was going to buy one of those after changing the oil last weekend when it was 15 degrees outside. Brr! I thought I can simplify it with that! But the baffle thing is what stops me. I know mickey took a picture somewhere in the Fuel and Lube section about the baffle. I think the subject is "To suck or not, That's the question."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, I didn't cut the tube at all. Didn't feel the need.

When you slide the hose down the dipstick tube the first 18" or so (just a guess on the length) goes in resistance-free. Then you feel the hose scraping along the bottom of the oil pan for a short distance and it may bump the baffle. Just probe the baffle with the hose a few times and you will get past the baffle. Now you can insert the hose about another 6" (still feeling/ hearing it slide along the bottom of the oil pan) and you bottom out against the back of the pan. Sounds strange, but it works fine..

BTW the Pela PL-650 is the one Griots's sells. They get $64.95 for it. You can also use it to prime your fuel filter after changing or to bleed the brakes.

[ February 07, 2002, 09:19: Message edited by: JerseyJettaTDI ]

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Originally posted by Boundless:
Check with SkyPup, he's real good at it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think he is more of a fuel guy than a lube guy.

S

SkyPup

Some think Boundless is quite cute while he is sucking.......others simply don't care one way or another.