Caught Cracked Cam gear in time (whew)

nowback

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi's ranging 2000 golf to 2006 jetta 7 in total:)
Overtorque didn't damage that gear. It was abused in some other way.
Lucky catch.
I agree.
I would say by the looks of it,,, someone put a pry bar through the
openings and tried to pry it off by hitting the bar with a hammer.
matt

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I agree with the above posters, that the gear was damaged during removal, not installation. The tapered hub would have cracked if the cause was over-torque. The cracks in that gear are definately from improper removal techniques. I've had some gears that were WAY over-torqued, and I was able to get them off.

As far as the hammer-and-punch method goes, these gears are powdered metal formed, not the old steel forgings from the AHU. The AHU gear's steel is much more tolerant of impact shock than the ALH gear- a punch on an over-tightened hub will indeed put a good mark in it. My recommendation for removing the over-torqued gears is to put the puller on it with a C-clamp to hold the jaws tight, put a good amount of force on the puller with the center bolt, THEN give the hub a tap with the punch, and it will usually come off with a huge bang.

As far as your lifter noise is concerned, I'll stay out of the clatter other than to agree with Franko6 that the cam and lifters must be replaced together, due to mutual wearing in of one to the other.

-Rich

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I have to agree those marks looked fresh.. I've run into a few that were seriously overtightened.. Most of the time they come off with the metalnerd puller, but I've had 2 that have come off in pieces. One of them cracked in 3 pieces, and the other pretty much shattered into 10+ pieces.. That one looked like it had been previously damaged along with the cam taper, and whoever put it back on had roughed up all the edges where they meet, covered it with high strength Locktite, and tightened the snot out of it.. It lasted until the next timing belt interval where I had to deal with it.. It got a new cam gear, and a new cam+lifter set..