poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
Audi a3 2010
1.6 tdi
Overheated on the higway or at least the dashboard said so
also cabin heating was not blowing hot air
The car is at mechanic
First he tried to blead the system and for a short while cabin heating was working but stopped again
He then concluded that the head gasket is the issue
he replaced the head gasket but the problem is still here, the car is overheating
Vcds does not show any codes
How to find the problem and not throw money into it

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So hopefully you got your money back 100% refund on the bs headgasket work!
Did the guy even test to coolant? You can to see if high levels of exhaust soot are present.

Not familiar with your car but if the system is full of coolant, before and after, then it's probably a heater flow control valve.
Somone else can chime in here.
Please post info on the mechanic and results. So we can avoid

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
So hopefully you got your money back 100% refund on the bs headgasket work!
Did the guy even test to coolant? You can to see if high levels of exhaust soot are present.

Not familiar with your car but if the system is full of coolant, before and after, then it's probably a heater flow control valve.
Somone else can chime in here.
Please post info on the mechanic and results. So we can avoid
Would this valve cause engine overheating or at least temperature warning on the dashboard, and temp gauge at 120c(because i can not confirm that the engine actually overheated, i only know what i saw on the gauge and that there was no cabin heating)
Or is this valve only responsible for cabin heating?

The mechanic did timing job on my other car 2 times in the last decade almost and he also has a day job at the certified vw service center for even longer, over 15 years, so i thought this would not be tough job for him. But seems i was proven wrong. I also find many people online struggling with the issue of overheating and lack of cabin heating, throwing even more money into it, radiators, heater matrix core, pumps, thermostats, sensors, gaskets and still not resolving this issue so this would probably be a struggle for most mechanics and people who pay for the job

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Lotsa heat in the engine, no heat in the interior. I was finking water pump too.

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
Has he checked the water pump itself and all associated TB components?

What about thermostat?
He somehow ruled out thermostat, water pump and heater core. But i am not sure how or why.
Now he points the problem to something electrical but also not sure what

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I'd advise getting your money back if possible from the headgasket job that wasn't needed likely, then taking your diesel to a knowledgeable person.

Best of luck.

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
I'd advise getting your money back if possible from the headgasket job that wasn't needed likely, then taking your diesel to a knowledgeable person.

Best of luck.
The job is not yet paid for and he still has the car and should look into the problem a bit more
But i am just trying to research here

Im not even sure why he called if the problem is not fixed.

Seems like im not the only one with this issue
Look at this post #7 in the linked thread specifically

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...6-TDI-Overheating-issue?p=1089814#post1089814

Last edited:

poloyolo

TDI
polo sdi
The job is not yet paid for and he still has the car and should look into the problem a bit more
But i am just trying to research here

Im not even sure why he called if the problem is not fixed.

Seems like im not the only one with this issue
Look at this post #7 in the linked thread specifically

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...6-TDI-Overheating-issue?p=1089814#post1089814

He said he found the problem, he said it is some kid of valve in the coolant pipe from radiator to head.
Suposedly this valve has a tiny hole and it got clogged.

usmanzar

TDI
1.6 TDI
It seems a classic symptom of a blocked heating matrix. VWs over heat even if the heating matrix is blocked. Don't ask me why as I don't know but it does. lol.
You can confirm it via bypassing the heating matrix. Its literally 10 min job. If the car stops over heating then you have found your issue.