Adblue Freefills, anyone getting push back?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My interpretation of part of the "Fix" was that VW would provide free refill of AdBlue as the use was going to go up. In fact on page 5 of the VW fix literature it states that. My dad recently went to get an Adblue free fill and was denied, even though he showed them the pamphlet. Unfortunately I don't have the brochure in front of me for the exact wording, but was wondering who is, and who isnt getting free adblue refills.

Thanks

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. Tell me which VW fix literature this is? In the court docs or the paperwork given when buying one or other?
It was in a pamphlet I was mailed, it is small and fits into the manual folder. IT outlines all of the stuff that is covered. Page 5

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I would rather do my own fill on Ad Blue.....VW spills it the whole right side of thee trunk was white....still some residue 2 years later

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Here’s the booklet for 13-14 Touaregs. https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/VW_BOOKLET_3L_Gen_2-1_FINAL.pdf
It’s on page 8. Are you servicing your vehicle with the dealership you are asking to refill the ad blue?
That's the document, but I'm looking at page 5:

AdBlue® (diesel exhaust fluid) usage may increase, and, as a result,
require more frequent refilling of your AdBlue® tank. As a courtesy to
you, your vehicle will be returned to you with a full tank of AdBlue® and
fuel during the Approved Emission Modification (AEM). AdBlue® refillings will also be offered free of charge between service intervals for:

Emphasis added

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The key part there probably is: "As a courtesy to you". It isn't required, but we will do it if we feel like it.
I disagree!

courtesy noun
cour·​te·​sy | \ ˈkər-tə-sē , British also ˈkȯ-\
plural courtesies
Definition of courtesy (Entry 1 of 2)
1a: behavior marked by polished manners or respect for others : courteous behavior
b: a courteous and respectful act or expression
2a: general allowance despite facts : INDULGENCE
hills called mountains by courtesy only
b: consideration, cooperation, and generosity in providing something (such as a gift or privilege)

VW is offering this because their "fix" could increase DEF usage by up to 40%. It's part of the legal remedy they agreed to!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Show me where it says they are required to do this and I will agree with you. Your highlighted b section also proves my point. None of those first three words equal "required" to provide something. But it is your battle to fight not mine. Sounds like you are losing though.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Show me where it says they are required to do this and I will agree with you. Your highlighted b section also proves my point. None of those first three words equal "required" to provide something. But it is your battle to fight not mine. Sounds like you are losing though.
Did you notice the placement of the period?

Complete sentence: AdBlue® refillings will also be offered free of charge between service intervals for:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, I have received free Adblue using the pamphlet in my Touareg!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I am glad VW is servicing you! Enjoy.
I wasnt really looking for an argument about what a word means, I was wondering if anyone else was receiving free Adblue, as stated in the manual.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Yes, free adblue on both a VW and an Audi, I think twice each. Both of them seem to go about 10k miles before needing a refill.

bfr

TDI
2013 Q7 TDI Prestige
I wasnt really looking for an argument about what a word means, I was wondering if anyone else was receiving free Adblue, as stated in the manual.
I fully agree with your reading of the document regarding free, complimentary and required refills of Adblue by the dealers.

Thanks for bringing the complimentary refills to our attention.

I usually do the refill myself as it is so easy and I ensure the tank gets completely filled. I use BlueDEF which is cheap and easy to obtain and meets ISO 22241 per the manual.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, free adblue on both a VW and an Audi, I think twice each. Both of them seem to go about 10k miles before needing a refill.
Nice, that's where my Treg was before the fix!

Is your dealer doing oil changes an services, or are you?

I fully agree with your reading of the document regarding free, complimentary and required refills of Adblue by the dealers.
Thanks for bringing the complimentary refills to our attention.
I usually do the refill myself as it is so easy and I ensure the tank gets completely filled. I use BlueDEF which is cheap and easy to obtain and meets ISO 22241 per the manual.
My dad is the one who is having issues, I had to get a bit stern when I requested mine.