www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 4th, 2019, 09:35   #31
tjg

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP View Post
What problem did you have with your catalytic converter?

My car smokes on hard acceleration occasionally and I've been getting a CEL for EGT's when regenning lately. I figured it was just a problem with the DPF or EGR, but I'm curious about problems with the Cat.

I, too, would just delete everything, but I already have the Kerma tune, and my impression was that they are not ones to support the deletion of emissions related devices.

I'll preface this with the note that most of my driving is 70-80mph highway.

I was returning from a 6 hour round trip and the DPF light came on.
The next morning I went to refuel and put it in sport mode and drove aggressively, but that didn't clear the light.
I went into the dealership the next day (now with a CEL as well) and the tech had the car for about 3 hours, driving and pulling codes. He said that it wasn't the DPF but the CAT...

The symptoms I was running into was about 30mpg and the aux fan? kicking on after about 3 minutes of driving. The car stayed at a constant 190 degrees, but after parking, you could feel the heat emanating from the engine bay and under the car.
There wasn't a noticeable decrease in power.

I still haven't got an ETA on the part yet...
tjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2019, 09:41   #32
USMCFieldMP

Interesting; good to know. Mine started acting up during a 6,000 mile road trip around the western US. I drive it hard too, so I know it's not a problem of the DPF not getting up to temp; WOT and spirited driving is a daily occurrence.

My stock tune is going on and it'll be at the dealership next week, most likely. I haven't had the DPF light come on though, so I suppose that's maybe my only saving grace.
1986 Volkswagen GTI - 12v VR6
USMCFieldMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2019, 14:00   #33
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-52

Replaced the air filter, checked the oil.

Gave it a thorough wash + vacuum after a week up north.

97B4TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 08:18   #34
USMCFieldMP

Flashed back to the stock tune in preparation to take the car in for a smoking issue. Stock tune feels sooooo sloooooooow. I miss that torque punch already.
1986 Volkswagen GTI - 12v VR6
USMCFieldMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 09:35   #35
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Installed the P2015 Code Repair Bracket for Common Rail TDI with Aluminum Manifold from DieselGeek to fix the “hunting” the motor does around 1900-2200 rpm when crushing in 3rd or 4th gear.

I’ll report back with an update. Next up some LED DRLs

Old September 21st, 2019, 13:06   #36
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Wash + vacuumed

Cleaned out all the junk and foam that collects in the front fender corners:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old September 27th, 2019, 07:15   #37
97B4TDi
Veteran Member

Completed my first extract/fill oil change!

I was able to extract 4.5l + a little that was in the filter housing. Pretty happy with that method.

Next up will be some under coating and 3M PPF film on the front bumper before winter hits here in the Midwest

Old September 27th, 2019, 08:32   #38
Vpstang

Tried to fix the Pano shade, unsuccessful and managed to drain the battery. Man this car is hard to jump start, my S6 wouldnt provide enough to start it
Now i have a bunch of faults, hopefully they will clear out soon

Vpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 21:29   #39
ttcheung

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

I also tried replacing my panoroof shade. Managed to get everything installed, but then the operation failed as the fabric wouldn't retract. I think i had one small detail incorrect when installing the tray. Oh well, another roll of fabric and I'll try it again.

BTW Vpstang, do the interior lights on your car shut off after "x" amount of time?
ttcheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 07:39   #40
Joe Romas
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1 mpg bringing it home

I reset the throttle from a tip else-ware here and it now has consistent throttle response and the DSG shifts better too.

(procedure, hold peddle to the floor, turn ignition on but don't start, hold for at least 15 seconds, drive easy for a while)
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 08:28   #41
Vpstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcheung View Post
I also tried replacing my panoroof shade. Managed to get everything installed, but then the operation failed as the fabric wouldn't retract. I think i had one small detail incorrect when installing the tray. Oh well, another roll of fabric and I'll try it again.

BTW Vpstang, do the interior lights on your car shut off after "x" amount of time?

Yes the lights **** off after a bit, not sure the exact amount of time.
I did find out my battery was weak, had it tested and it failed, so battery was replaced this past weekend

Vpstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:37   #42
Drclaw

Installed koni reds and vw towing springs in the rear. While I was in there I pulled out the tire well liners and cleaned out behind the mud flaps , found a few acorns in the driver side. Also cleaned the rear sunroof drains out, driver side was clogged, and then cut the tips off of them. I also out goop around the fitting and tube on the driver drain since I had it pulled out.

Going to tackle the front suspension (koni reds and Tiguan springs) next weekend. Driving a hot wheel around for the week.
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 09:43   #43
wolf1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97B4TDi View Post
Wash + vacuumed

Cleaned out all the junk and foam that collects in the front fender corners:

how did you take apart the fender cover to clean it?
wolf1389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 07:37   #44
FJ40Jim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-52

Busy last 2 weekends.
First weekend: Did 40K service, DSG fluid & filter (top fill method), engine oil & filter, air filter, remove & discard HAI system & snowscreen, fuel filter.
As seen above, removed both front fender liners, discarded soggy foam & dirt, removed foam triangle from top of wheelwell on driver side. Did pass. side first & didn't notice the foam at top of wheelwell. Will remove it when snows go on in a few months.
Rotated tires, aired up original spare (was down to 25psi), correctly installed tools & strap in sparetire.
Fixed a bunch of loose plastic & missing torx fasteners on splash pan, fender liners, mud flaps...

Yesterday: R&R DSG transaxle and replaced clanking DMF. It's a big, heavy trans, definitely harder to handle than an 020 or 02J. Tips: use ratchet straps between engine crane & trans to stabilize it on floor jack; while DMF is off, trim separator plate so wheel flange doesn't hang up on it during install.

Next: timing & serp belt change.

This is the crap that comes with buying a "cheap" TDI.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 14:25   #45
Drclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
Busy last 2 weekends.
First weekend: Did 40K service, DSG fluid & filter (top fill method), engine oil & filter, air filter, remove & discard HAI system & snowscreen, fuel filter.
As seen above, removed both front fender liners, discarded soggy foam & dirt, removed foam triangle from top of wheelwell on driver side. Did pass. side first & didn't notice the foam at top of wheelwell. Will remove it when snows go on in a few months.
Rotated tires, aired up original spare (was down to 25psi), correctly installed tools & strap in sparetire.
Fixed a bunch of loose plastic & missing torx fasteners on splash pan, fender liners, mud flaps...

Yesterday: R&R DSG transaxle and replaced clanking DMF. It's a big, heavy trans, definitely harder to handle than an 020 or 02J. Tips: use ratchet straps between engine crane & trans to stabilize it on floor jack; while DMF is off, trim separator plate so wheel flange doesn't hang up on it during install.

Next: timing & serp belt change.

This is the crap that comes with buying a "cheap" TDI.
Doesn't that foam serve a purpose?
Drclaw is offline   Reply With Quote