VW Manual Tranny Fluid G052527A2 vs Fuchs

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
2015 WV Passat Tdi 6 Speed Manual
I've confirmed that VW G052 527 A2 is he correct fluid, however the price is north of $60.00 a liter at dealer and even expensive on line.
I've found FUCHS TITAN SINTOFLUID FE 75W (80238300188) Manual Transmission Fluid (1 Liter) for around $11.00/liter online.
According to the site it's a compatible fluid, but the price almost seems too good. Not trying to cheap out, but $40.00 seems kinda high for the vw elixir.
Has anyone used this in place of 527A2 in a newer (2015+) manual and did it perform well?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think that is the fluid that VW buys and tosses their packaging on. I'd use it without worry.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I'm sure it'll be just fine.

I've been using Red Line MT-LV 70/75w in 5 and 6 speeds with great results, cross references to virtually all the common VW manual transmission gear oil part numbers... and interestingly, transfer case for Touaregs and various other brands as well. Guess it has the right additives for wet clutches too.

I emailed Red Line about what of their products they'd recommend for transfer cases, and Dave came back and said the MT-LV is it. Surprised me considering wholesalers list Motul DCTF as being a good transfer case oil too, I figured Red Line's own DCTF might be good for transfer cases as well, but Dave tells me MT-LV is the choice instead.

*shrug*

But I digress. I'm sure the Fuchs will work fine, I can confirm that Red Line MT-LV is excellent in these transmissions too.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Interestingly, and I have no idea why, but halfway through 2013 the VAG 02Q gear oil changed.

It went from G-052-171-A2 which is a 70w75 to the G-052-527-A2 which is a 75w80. So bucking a trend, they actually went thicker which leads me to believe maybe they learned something? The newer stuff is also listed as "high performance gear oil" in ETKA, the older stuff is not.

I tend to want to use the thicker stuff, unless I lived in an area that was cold much of the time and had EXTREME cold temps in winter, although with modern synthetics that is less of a problem.

Funny anecdote about VAG spec gear oils: years ago I swapped the 5 speed gearbox in my '87 Mazda B2000 when it lost 5th gear rather suddenly at 346k miles. I sourced a used transmission, which only had 180k on it, from a wrecked truck. The used transmission came drained, and I was going to put fresh stuff in anyway. I just put in some generic gear oil, Mazda had no specific type just an 80w90 GL4/5 gear lube. Got the truck back together, it shifted fine, a little tighter but I expected such as the unit had much less use on it.

That tightness seemed worse that winter, however, so I decided to try something fancier. I put the same G-060-.... gear oil in it I had been using in my FWD transverse Volkswagens (the RWD Mazda, like them, had no hypoid gears to worry about) and was AMAZED at just how much better it shifted. Night and day.

So one day, a coworker was messing with his 1995 Bronco, getting it ready for winter (it was his backup vehicle, not a daily) and lamenting it being like driving a drunk dinosaur in comparison to his Geo Prizm, and especially due to the much less precise manual gearbox (yes, Ford sold a few big Broncos with the proper number of pedals). I asked him what fluid it had in it (Ford, oddly enough even though this too was a Mazda transmission, spec'd ATF in them !!!! ). He said whatever it came with. So I talked him into changing it to the VAG stuff I had (I think it was a Motul branded product, maybe Liquimoly).

He was instantly shocked at how much better it shifted. And this was an actual gear oil, a synthetic one, so should have been thicker than the ATF, yet still allowed not only easier shifting but made the slight [normal] gear whine it had go away almost completely.

Fast forward a few years, another coworker, who had a 1987 BMW 325e, wanted to change the gearbox oil (Getrag 5sp), and could no longer read the tag on the side as to which fluid it used (BMW could have used one of three different types). So he too opted to put some VAG spec stuff in at my recommendation. While he had no specific problems or complaints prior, he was just doing this for PM (he had recently purchased the car), he said the next day he was shocked how much better the transmission behaved. I still work with him, he still has the 3-series, and that lube is STILL in there!

So, as soon as I got my current '96 F150, guess what fluid I put in its Mazda manual gearbox? And guess what happened? :)

I am not picking any specific brand here, just noting that I think VAG's feeling on gear oil is possibly pretty good, regardless of whose box it is, and that it may be wise to stick with it.

I have since swapped the fluid in my dad's '99 Ranger, too. With similar improved results. Why on Earth Ford called for ATF in a manual gearbox being used in a TRUCK I have no idea, especially when Mazda themselves never did, and that is who supplied the M5OD units for all the F150s, Rangers, Broncos, Bronco IIs, Aerostars, and even a handful of E150 vans. May be why Ford gave these trucks such a pathetic tow rating, too. (I have exceeded that many, MANY times, LOL...).

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Volvo spec'd ATF for gear lube in the old M46 overdrive boxes too. I don't remember if the overdrive shared lube with the gearbox, but the electro-hydraulic OD magic might explain it. A lot of guys up here run ATF as hydraulic oil in snow plows, wood splitters and such. I tried about every oil made in those M46 boxes. They all worked well in warm weather, but the 50 weight motor oil was like Vaseline in cold weather.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
It went from G-052-171-A2 which is a 70w75 to the G-052-527-A2 which is a 75w80. ...
Good info, Oil. When I called the dealer and gave the parts guy my vin to get a VW part number, he was very nice and gave me the 527 part. But he was adamant about not being able to tell what weight it was. He told me VW does not make that readily available. So I'm assuming the container does not specify.
Anyhow, just trying to get ready for this service when I hit 100,000 miles. I'm really being proactive.
Perhaps idparts will at some point source this part. I'll keep a lookout. For a 100,000 service interval I'd spend the extra $ for the oem stuff. I'd probably in the long run feel better about replacing it with genuine vw fluid. It is available for around $45/liter on the internut currently.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
syncromesh fluid works great too. I put about 70k miles on Pennzoil syncromesh in my 02Q without issue.