Need help diagnosing non running 04' TDI after cracked oil pan.

camacho__23

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
So about 5 months ago, this 04' Jetta tdi ended up with a cracked oil pan. According to my mechanic, he changed out the oil pan and the rear oil seal to the transmission. Unfortunately, it does not want to start. If we spray some starting fluid, it seems like it is running (RPM's stay at 0) but will die right after we stop spraying it. The Jetta was running perfectly fine before this incident and are trying to figure out what went wrong.

These are the codes it is currently throwing:

P0725: Engine Speed Input Circut

P0726: Engine Speed Circuit Range/Performance

P2637: Torque Management, feedback signal A- malfunction\

P0183: Fuel Temperature Sensor Circuit High Volatage

I currently do not know where to start diagnosing these problems and need assistance. If you guys could point me in the right direction would be awesome! Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sounds like it bent the tone wheel bolted to the end of the crankshaft and there is no CKP sensor signal.

camacho__23

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Jetta
Sounds like it bent the tone wheel bolted to the end of the crankshaft and there is no CKP sensor signal.
I see... I had some other people looking at it and they gave it the possibility that I could use a new lift pump because it does kinda start with starter fluid. Do you think that could also be a possibility ?
Also would a tone wheel change be difficult to do, cant seem to find too much info on this.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Remove engine.

Remove crankshaft.

Remove tone wheel.

Technically you could remove just the transmission, the timing belt, both sealing flanges, oil pan, oil pump chain, and oil pump, with the engine still hanging in the car, to get the crankshaft out. That is how I would do it.

But try a new CKP sensor first, cheap, easy, and they sometimes fail all on their own, but given the history of a damaged oil pan, a damaged tone wheel is always a possibility.