800 mile tank

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
Ever since I had my 700 mile tank way back a few months after I had first gotten the car, this has been a long time goal of mine. I finally was able to hit it. 800 mile tank on 15.04 gallons. I was in try hard mode, turning it off at stop lights longer than 5 - 7 seconds. No AC.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Ever since I had my 700 mile tank way back a few months after I had first gotten the car, this has been a long time goal of mine. I finally was able to hit it. 800 mile tank on 15.04 gallons. I was in try hard mode, turning it off at stop lights longer than 5 - 7 seconds. No AC.

Nice job, definitely silly to shutdown at stoplights imo. Really don’t see the need, but I’ve been wrong before.

Bajan

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Considering I still had 1.45 Us gallons (5.5 liter) in my tank where I got over 700 miles in my Passat, AC on and never shutting off when momentarily stopped, I think my heavier Passat outdid your Golf.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
800 Mille tanks is easily doable in my wagon, my sedan on the other hand I’ll be lucky to see 700 and that’s both 75 + mph average on highway. No shutting off or anything like that.

Bajan

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
Nice job, definitely silly to shutdown at stoplights imo. Really don’t see the need, but I’ve been wrong before.

Bajan
I was basing it on this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFImHhNwbJo

how much different is it between regular and diesel, I don't know, but I mean surely shutting it off and restarting is less than idling for 2 minutes right? I would guess? Who knows.

Considering I still had 1.45 Us gallons (5.5 liter) in my tank where I got over 700 miles in my Passat, AC on and never shutting off when momentarily stopped, I think my heavier Passat outdid your Golf.

Probably so. I also have a lift & bigger wheels / tires, which doesn't help. I've also found that terrain makes a large difference. I dunno what it is like there, we have 2 mountain ranges here so lots of ups and downs.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably so. I also have a lift & bigger wheels / tires, which doesn't help. I've also found that terrain makes a large difference. I dunno what it is like there, we have 2 mountain ranges here so lots of ups and downs.
Constant restarting using battery and the starter will cost you more to replace either or both than a piddly bit of fuel.

Bigger wheels and tires than what the car came with have thrown off your odometer reading so that makes it somewhat inaccurate.:rolleyes:

The Arkansas I drive through twice a year is as flat as a pancake. It's not a mountain unless it's 3,000 feet or more in elevation, otherwise it's just hills. :eek:

Last edited:

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
Constant restarting using battery and the starter will cost you more to replace either or both than a piddly bit of fuel.

Bigger wheels and tires than what the car came with have thrown off your odometer reading so that makes it somewhat inaccurate.:rolleyes:

The Arkansas I drive through twice a year is as flat as a pancake. It's not a mountain unless it's 3,000 feet or more in elevation, otherwise it's just hills. :eek:
I account for the larger wheels and tires. :eek:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
800 miles/tank is pretty common stuff for my old Jetta sedans. Done several 900 mile tanks but since I don't drive the work commute any more there is a lot more short trips to town etc these days and it's been a long time since I've run that far.
I'm a bit disappointed if the low fuel light comes on before 750.

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
800 miles/tank is pretty common stuff for my old Jetta sedans. Done several 900 mile tanks but since I don't drive the work commute any more there is a lot more short trips to town etc these days and it's been a long time since I've run that far.
I'm a bit disappointed if the low fuel light comes on before 750.
I'll have to do some more mods then to catch up. I will probably find some stock wheels and remove the lift at the next set of tires to try to increase MPGS.

750 miles is what i usually do and sometimes the light is on, sometimes not.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Shutting down the engine is actually using more fuel unless it's more than 12-15 minutes. The amount of fuel used to stay the engine is pretty high.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
Shutting down the engine is actually using more fuel unless it's more than 12-15 minutes. The amount of fuel used to stay the engine is pretty high.

Just wondering what your basis for this claim is? Literally even a basic google search of "how much fuel does it take to start a diesel motor" seems to have every result yielding opposite results stating that idling uses more fuel by far (on by gasoline and diesel fuel engines). I also linked a video. Is there a data set some where out there I'm not seeing someone did? I'm a casual user of this forum so I'm sure I missed it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I used to drive a Dodge ram and they show fully what the difference is. I could leave it run for 15 minutes everytime and use less fuel than otherwise. You must account for fuel burned to replenish the battery from starting the engine.
These little engines don't take as much to start and when it's could out keeping them Warm is difficult

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
eddieleephd you are not going to convince this guy !!

Let him do what he wants, a new starter, battery and a worn ignition switch will cost him a lot more than 2 cents of Diesel here and there in those " mountains" in Arkansas !

I'm otta here, some people just know better!

Zheking

TDI
02 Golf
I used to drive a Dodge ram and they show fully what the difference is. I could leave it run for 15 minutes everytime and use less fuel than otherwise. You must account for fuel burned to replenish the battery from starting the engine.
These little engines don't take as much to start and when it's could out keeping them Warm is difficult

So the dodge had a more accurate gas gauge type sensor that would show fuel consumption on start up vs idle? or did you have to add that or what?

Additional question, isn't the alternator always spinning with the vehicle on charging the battery and providing juice to the electrical system? I mean, isn't that fuel being burned anyway if the car is on? Or is there something different going on vs a regular gasoline engine?

eddieleephd you are not going to convince this guy !!

Let him do what he wants, a new starter, battery and a worn ignition switch will cost him a lot more than 2 cents of Diesel here and there in those " mountains" in Arkansas !

I'm otta here, some people just know better!
I wasn't aware asking questions and for data is against the rules and such a far fetched concept or request. Everything I have found, and provided a link on here, has said if you're going to idle for more than even 10-15 seconds it's better to shut if off. Even new cars come with systems that automatically do that now. I don't think asking for some concrete data on it is all that crazy of a request.

Hitting 800 miles with my lifted larger wheel / tire, minimally modded TDI is a challenge. I wanted to post about it as it's been a goal since I got my TDI some what recently. If you have something constructive to add on increasing it, feel free.

Otherwise, please unsubscribe and go away FFS. You're the only one arguing here, and at that, literally arguing with what the definition of a mountain is (fun fact; elevation has nothing to do with whether something is a mountain. A large quantity of people live on the tops of mountains, they're at sea level. those are called "islands" ); and tooting your own horn. I'm glad you're "the best" on the tdi internet forums dude and your wagon is so much better. rock on. I"m so proud that you're the best on the interwebs.

p.s. fwiw, a starter isn't going to cost me anything, I had to replace it when I first got my TDI, and now I have a lifetime warranty, it isn't going to affect the battery at all, I'm not completely draining it or deep cycling it... and I'm not worried about ignition switch.... I'd just assume take it out and put a push start there anyway and not even have to use my key.

Last edited: